PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT try this at home!

TTIT
21st December 2011, 03:02 PM
OK - not dangerous, but a right pain in the @r$e regardless! This bowl is to be one of the next species I add to the website so I normally keep them plain to show the timber but you can only turn so many plain bowls and stay sane :C - decided on some beads. Covered the beads with sanding sealer then recut the small beads to allow the stain to 'bind'. It took 2 shots to get the clean line between the stained and plain beads but I was real happy with the end result - - - - - until I started hollowing out the inside :C:B:~ . That black proof-tint really travels through unsealed timber eh!!! Had to pull-up at 4mm wall thickness for fear of more stain showing up and then had to work out how to cover it up - matching beads of course - but I hadn't tried doing them on the inside of a bowl before - worked out OK I think :shrug: Only the slightest specks of stain showing around the inside ring which one more bead would have covered but I'm too pedantic to have 6 outside and 7 inside :no:

Ozkaban
21st December 2011, 03:04 PM
:2tsup:

the liquid gets in just like... what was it again??? Oh, that's right... this :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h21jl2pLc1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work. Would have been very fiddly. Came up a treat :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

vk4
21st December 2011, 03:19 PM
very nice , looks excellent, beads are great and the contrast acts to high light the blonde timber .

I believe the wood is Jacaranda??,

if so that's why the stain bled through , although the timber turns well , the grain is porous, and you know what happens, then.

TTIT
21st December 2011, 03:34 PM
very nice , looks excellent, beads are great and the contrast acts to high light the blonde timber .

I believe the wood is Jacaranda??,

if so that's why the stain bled through , although the timber turns well , the grain is porous, and you know what happens, then.Not even close! It's Red Olive Plum (elaeodendron australe) a local native that I only collected this winter - and in real life it has a slight pink tinge to it. Absolutely beautiful to turn and sand - just got to be careful with the finishing! You'll see the whole story when I add it to my website :;

bench1holio
21st December 2011, 03:56 PM
awsome looking bowl, the internal beads look great, well worth the extra work :2tsup:

turnerted
21st December 2011, 04:26 PM
Great job The end result was worth it.

Ted

wheelinround
21st December 2011, 05:05 PM
Vern it looks brilliant and well worth the effort. yes wood soaks or some do colour into the grain thats why spalting goes through or coffee stains etc.

What was the stain used?

mkypenturner
21st December 2011, 05:14 PM
great work vern , glad to see that you could get the beading inside to save the bowl with the leaching

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2011, 08:20 PM
notwithstanding your travails an outstanding bowl :2tsup:

hughie
21st December 2011, 08:40 PM
Vern, nice clean crisp lines, excellent job. not too bad at the photo stuff either:2tsup:

Scott
21st December 2011, 10:57 PM
Great solution to the problem Vern, at that wall thickness though, I'd hate to accidentally drop it.

TTIT
21st December 2011, 11:09 PM
..........What was the stain used?Feast Watson black proof-tint - very potent spirit stain that I haven't used for ages. I initially tried normal enamel and just made a huge mess :C

Vern, nice clean crisp lines, excellent job. not too bad at the photo stuff either:2tsup:Finally got the lighting bit worked out :2tsup: .. but just wait until I get my xmas present - finally lashed out on a DSLR (have to buy my own - nobody else thinks that highly of me :; ) Can only go up from there I hope :B

powderpost
22nd December 2011, 09:18 AM
Very nice job Vern.. :2tsup:
Jim

munruben
22nd December 2011, 10:34 AM
Great work.:2tsup:

NeilS
22nd December 2011, 11:17 AM
Can't imagine you rolling those internal beads with a skew. Unless you made up a beading tool just for this purpose, you have me intrigued as to what you did them with.

Cliff Rogers
22nd December 2011, 11:40 AM
I hit myself in the head with a big lump of mango trying to do a bit of detail like that on the outside of a large bowl. :-

rsser
22nd December 2011, 03:00 PM
Simple alternative is black felt-tipped pen, at least on redgum which was my 2nd only shot at dekkeratin.

Blow torch was the first. A lot of fun but a good idea to clean up the shed first!

Neil, I've had good results with the HT beading tools as long as they're 'sharp'.

rsser
22nd December 2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry, don't mean to steal Vern's thunder: for stacked beads there's also a specific Sorby scraper.

TTIT
22nd December 2011, 04:20 PM
Can't imagine you rolling those internal beads with a skew. Unless you made up a beading tool just for this purpose, you have me intrigued as to what you did them with.
1.5mm beads with a skew! :no: - not this little black duck :; Heavy duty hacksaw blade with a channel ground in the end with a 1mm cut-off disk. Only have to get the channel right first up then rub the top face with a diamond stone to sharpen from then on. Worked just as well on the inside as it did on the outside :2tsup:

TTIT
22nd December 2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry, don't mean to steal Vern's thunder: for stacked beads there's also a specific Sorby scraper.No wucka's Ern - it's all about information exchange anyway :U

Christos
22nd December 2011, 09:56 PM
It might not have started out as what you wanted but ended up as what the wood wanted to be. :U

I like it.

vk4
22nd December 2011, 10:44 PM
I generally find the the timber dictates the finished product. the Idea of the HS blade to make the beading tool is excellent.

NeilS
23rd December 2011, 09:14 AM
Ah yes, TTIT, that would be the only way I could think of doing them on the inside... useful things those used hacksaw blades.

Ern, I'm sure the Sorby stacked beading tool would do the job in whatever the size(s) they come in. On the other hand, the advantage of the hacksaw blade is you can customise the profile to your satisfaction.... and they are a tad cheaper.

rsser
23rd December 2011, 09:44 AM
Sure Neil. Just mentioned it as a model to work off.

NeilS
23rd December 2011, 09:56 AM
Sure Neil. Just mentioned it as a model to work off.

Yep!

Bob38S
23rd December 2011, 10:52 AM
Looks really good to my eyes.

finlay25
1st January 2012, 12:22 PM
Hi there very nice bowl like it alot.