PDA

View Full Version : A Trilogy of small bowls

randmcnelly
12th January 2012, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

Just before Xmas I decided to make some small gifts for my family and work colleagues, so over the course of a couple of days I turned out about 17 odd pens and a nice little clock (but neglected to take photos of them). :(

However, this seems to have inspired me to spend some more time on the lathe, and since Jan 1st I have made the following small bowls.

1st Bowl - Wild Cherry (photo 1 & 2)

This one was tricky because I was worried about it splitting from a crack that ran across the width, so it isn't that thin walled, and a small piece came out to be forever lost to the dust collector. :doh:

2nd Bowl - Camphor (photo 3 & 4)

This was done the following night and I used what I had learnt from the previous bowl and I think I'm slightly happier with how this one turned out. It's a slightly deeper bowl and a squarer profile.

3rd bowl - Silky Oak?(not sure) (photo 5 & 6)
This was done about a week later and was based off a design I saw at my friends house which was slightly larger and had more beads but was made from ceramics. Since I didn't want to jam chuck this bowl I used expansion instead of compression to hold it, which worked quite well.

The final photos are just some comparison shots so you can see their sizes and features relative to each other.

Thanks

Michelle

kamel
12th January 2012, 05:45 PM
good job:2tsup:

Sturdee
12th January 2012, 07:14 PM
:2tsup:

Worth a greenie.

Peter.

RETIRED
12th January 2012, 07:53 PM
What's this? A little bit of nepotism?:wink:

Nice job BTW Michelle.

Treecycle
12th January 2012, 09:23 PM
Keep spending time on that lathe, you're doing well. We want to see more.

Sturdee
12th January 2012, 10:38 PM
A little bit of nepotism?:wink:

:guilty:

Peter.

PClark
12th January 2012, 11:18 PM
Nice work Michelle the bowls are looking awesome

dr4g0nfly
13th January 2012, 05:25 AM
Not sure about the shape of the camphor bowl but I do like the other 2 but my fav must be the wild cherry. You did well holding it together.

Well done.

artme
13th January 2012, 08:29 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
13th January 2012, 09:31 AM
:2tsup:

I also don't favour shape of the 2nd one, seems bottom heavy.

Sawdust Maker
13th January 2012, 09:38 AM
Not bad :2tsup:

The cherry nust have been a heart stopping experience
I don't mind the shape of the camphor even though some call that a brake drum shape
The last looks like a bit of silky to me