PDA

View Full Version : Table Saws and Planer/Thicknessers

Tony Young
3rd September 1999, 11:45 PM
I'm looking at buying Table Saw and a Planer/Thicknesser has anyone got any advice on brands / types / etc. Also what about combination machines. I am looking at spending 3 to $4000

------------------
Tony Young

Asquared
14th September 1999, 03:05 AM
Hi Tony

I can't help you but I'd like to extend your question. I'm interested in a combination machine also. I haven't seen anything decent in the local woodworking shops here in Perth and I'm wondering if they are a thing of the past. I did see a second hand machine called an "Artisan" that was a 10" table saw, 7" planer and thicknesser with a dowelling chuck (I think) on the side. I looked like good quality except it was 3 phase (which I don't have at home) and the planer fence did not incline. As a result I did not buy it. In case I find another one, has anyone changed out a 3 phase motor for a single phase unit? Are there any special tricks? Would it be an idea to up the HP for a single phase motor if you did this?

I'm very tight for space as I share my woodworking space with two cars and have to pack every thing away tight when I'm done. So a compact single machine would be the go rather than separate items on individual stands.

I look forward to any helpful comments from those with knowledge on such things.

------------------
Andrew Armstrong

Rod Smith
19th September 1999, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys. I have no expert on the subject but I'll share a few thoughts and experiences. I purchased a taiwanese table saw (12" 2 hp), it was claimed to come from the same factory as the jet (therefore good quality). The saw looks good and performs pretty well, but Prior to being able to use it with even modest accuracy I had to identify and fix several defects, mostly concerning the fence. They weren't major but showed sloppy workmanship. Now I'm reasonably happy with it for the price and the accuracy is quit good. The only remaining defect is that when raising and lowering the blade the blade moves slightly towards or away from the blade, it also goes slightly out of parrallel with the fence. These problems are not severe and I can do accurate work with it. I'd say all things considered, its good value for the price (about $1200 with the sliding table), and would satisfy the majority of part time woodworkers.
I recently bought a combination planer thicknesser, made by Emco (apparently owned by Metabo now). Its 305mm width, 2.5hp, nice long table (1200) cost me $2000 on a special deal from Woodman, supposed to be about $3200 they reckon. This is a completely different level of manufacture, everything was spot on from the start, works like a dream. Considering I traded a my 3 phase 1950's Aussie beasts (Habco) to gain more space, I couldn't be happier.
So, some thoughts, be careful buying Taiwanese, particularly where accuracy is required ie buzzer, Jet is dearer but gets good reviews, made in Taiwan with american specs and supervision. I wouldn't buy anything from china. Euro stuff is great if you can afford it. There's a few combo machines around ie mini max. Sheppach stuff is not bad, but the saw setup allows only a small depth of cut on the cheaper lines.
Changing motors shouldn't be that big of a deal, go speak to motor rewinder or s/h machinery sales to get some info. YOu can pick up some bargains in 3 phase, but single phase motors can be a bit exie. Also if you want a no volt switch I think they are about $140, get an idea of cost so you know when the 3 ph comes up. Happy tool hunting. Rod

Rod Smith
19th September 1999, 12:30 PM
Sorry guys, should have proof read, where I wrote blade moves away from blade, should be blade moves away from fence. Rod

------------------

Tony Young
20th September 1999, 07:39 PM
Just on the subject of sliding tables, what to people think, is it better to spend money on an expensive fence or is it better to spend it on a sliding table. From what i can see if you have a fairly decent sliding table the fence almost becomes redundant
any opinions?

------------------
Tony Young

Rod Smith
20th September 1999, 10:40 PM
I use my table saw mostly for ripping, and for this its great to have a fence that provides accuracy and ease of use. The saw I purchased has an excellent fence (once tweeked), it locks at both ends with the push of a lever, pulls itself parrallel to the blade (depending on how you set it up), and slides effortlessly. This was the main selling point for me. I had delayed buying a table saw (to replace triton mk3), as I didn't like any of the fences. I think the fence is an important part of a TS.
A sliding table is for crosscutting, I went for the optional sliding table for mine, I didn't use it for about 12 months until recently when building a kitchen, for this it has been very handy. Prior to purchasing the saw one of the dealers said that I would be just as well to build my own sliding table, and he may have been correct. Many TS owners make their own cross cut sleds, and with the help of roller stands normal size panels could be accomodated. The saw table would have to have accurately machined mitre slots (parallel) and the saw set parrallel for this to work accurately I feel. Occassional crosscutting of panels can be acheived with a guide for a circular saw, which I still have to do for larger panels anyway. I use a radial arm saw for most of my crosscutting, although a mitre saw or sliding compound mitre saw could do the majority of this work.
In a nutshell, a TS is mostly for ripping get a good fence if you can. Hope this waffle helps. Rod

------------------