PDA

View Full Version : jet min lathe tailstock problems

woodwormer
15th January 2012, 07:19 PM
hey guys,
I recently purchaced a jet jml 10141 as my first "propper" lathe( i was given an old gmc lathe that i caught the the bug on) and after trying to drill with it today the tailstock has partially jammed. It extends to full reach and retracts about half way but it will not go all the way back in. I have tried cleaning the spindle thread and the morse taper shaft it screws into to see if that helped but to no avail. The spindle thread appears to be ok but i cant see if the thread in the morse taper shaft is dammaged.

What i was wondering is dose anybody know what size the thread is so i could get the correct tap to try and clean it up myself or should i send the faulty part back to jet and see what they have to say. i dont want to send the whole lathe as (A) it would cost me a fortune (I cant drive at the minute on doctors orders) and (B) it is still partially useable and I wouldn't want to send it away if its something i could easily fix myself.

let me know what ya think guys

Paul39
16th January 2012, 06:44 AM
You might call the Jet dealer where you bought it and tell them the problem.

If you didn't buy it from a dealer, call the nearest Jet dealer and ask.

It sounds like a chip of something in in the threads. Chinese machines are sometimes shipped with metal chips and grease inside.

If that is the case, complete disassembly and a rinse in mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene, or your favorite solvent, followed by drain dry or compressed air, lubricating, and reassembly.

You were wise to not force it beyond where it got difficult.

sparkie54
16th January 2012, 11:17 AM
I had a similar problem once with my mini lathe. The screw that tightens the tail spindle had been undone so that it was slipping out of the groove it was supposed to be sitting in. I would line up the groove and screw and adjust as necessary and see if that works. The screw is supposed to sit well into the groove so that it holds the spindle in line and doesn't allow it to spin.
Cheers
Chris

wheelinround
16th January 2012, 01:31 PM
Make sure the lock leaver hasn't tightened up.

make sure your winding the right way :B yes I have done it more than once.

Some times mine does the some thing a quick rap/tap the right way will bring it back.

Hope this works:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
16th January 2012, 03:32 PM
Make sure the lock leaver hasn't tightened up.

make sure your winding the right way :B yes I have done it more than once......
He said
It extends to full reach and retracts about half way but it will not go all the way back in.

wheelinround
17th January 2012, 06:51 PM
He said

Thanks Cliff could not think of best way to word that :2tsup:

vk4
17th January 2012, 08:40 PM
without seeing the tail stock, (inside) , I would suggest that the thread is burred, or damaged.

Jeff

woodwormer
19th January 2012, 01:39 AM
I emailed Jet the other day and they where able to provide me with some info. The thread size is a 5/8ths 18tpi left hand thread. They suggested that i may have had a build up of shavings in the thread that can sometimes cause the problem or there may be a small burr on the thread. I have a mate i went to school with who is a gas fitter who said he has the right tap and will drop by on the weekend, so here's hoping ill be up and running again in no time.:)