PDA

View Full Version : Broken lathe part

mitchell27
20th January 2012, 12:03 PM
Hello, this is my first post, apologies in advance if this is the wrong section.

The other night as i was tightening a piece of wood into the lathe, not applying considerable pressure by any means, this piece snapped:
being cast iron i suppose its not too surprising. but my attempts at replicating it in steel are proving to be near impossible as this piece is responsible for holding the headstock of the lathe in place, and my steel replica is not holding it well enough, as a result the headstock and tailstock are not centered when the lathe is running. so in short i need another one of these little fella's and im not sure where to start. any help would be appreciated and if you would like me to clarify where this is on the lathe ill upload more images. also it is a MC-900 lathe.

mitch.

joe greiner
20th January 2012, 09:54 PM
That's one of the clamps that holds the headstock to the bed. If you post a picture of your unsuccessful replica, some possible remedies might ensue.

Cheers,
Joe

munruben
20th January 2012, 10:02 PM
Carba-tec or Hare and Forbes carry spares for that particular lathe I think..

joe greiner
20th January 2012, 10:24 PM
If spares are in stock, that would be simplest. Terminology is "CLAMP-LEFT" and "CLAMP-RIGHT," but I can't tell the difference.

Cheers,
Joe

mitchell27
21st January 2012, 01:02 AM
ill call hare and forbes next week, ive dealt with them before but couldnt see anything about spare parts on their website so i never considered them! thanks munruben!

and joe i can tell you the difference between them, since i've had to study them so extensively, one has a thread the other doesnt, apart from that they are the same, on this particular lathe anyway! haha. but thanks, that terminology will help me alot trying to explain it over the phone!

oh and i dont think i can upload a picture of my replica and maintain any shred of pride im afraid, it really was a rushed, after-work effort!

thanks for the help guys, this forum leaves a good first impression.