PDA

View Full Version : Blank look. Hoop pine

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2012, 09:25 PM
Long story short, covered in another thread somewhere, a bloke cut a pile of hoop pine at my place & for some reason, he never took it all away so I ended up with 2 piles on hoop pine that had been treated for blue stain.

Anyway, they have been sitting in the weather for a while so although they were treated for blue stain, it didn't stop some of the other mould getting it.

I stuck one lose pile away in a shed last year so it wouldn't blow away in Yasi. The other pile was still strapped & was fine.

I've needed some bit of timber for odds & sods so I'd cut a bit up & ot was still in fairly good order so I hacked out a bowl blank & gave it a rough out & a course sanding to see what it looked like.

Excuse the scratches & the torn grain, I did this in 20minutes to see what it was like.

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2012, 09:28 PM
Looks promising doesn't it? :)

I did that last Sunday arvo, this arvo I got stuck into a couple of planks & made some bowl blanks. :2tsup:

Ruler is there to show the size.

cookie48
21st January 2012, 09:30 PM
That has some character for sure. I like the diferent tones in the timber. Will finish of real nice. Well done.

cookie48
21st January 2012, 09:31 PM
By the way if you do not have time to turn the rest. You can send it to me :)

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2012, 09:40 PM
I had a mate with a crane truck move the strapped stack closer to my shed.... there would be about 120 more bowl/platter blanks in that pile & at least another 20 in the shed waiting to be cut up. :D

Avery
21st January 2012, 09:44 PM
I think a much under rated timber , hoop pine. I love the stuff. I just can't get much of it down here in the smoke.

Roger C
22nd January 2012, 02:36 AM
Hi Clif the second pic looks like the wood has spalted dont leave to long will get really punky and may be only good for compost.:UReagards Roger C

Seal the blanks

artme
22nd January 2012, 10:29 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
22nd January 2012, 10:43 AM
Pretty! :cool:

Cliff Rogers
22nd January 2012, 11:07 AM
The lighter coloured parts are a bit spalted & have some borer holes as well, some of it is a bit punky already.

rsser
22nd January 2012, 03:07 PM
Nice timber to turn and finish. Fine grain. Hard to find it in big lumps without bluestain.