PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 09:16 AM
I live in the outer Melbourne suburb of Ferntree Gully Australia, with my wife and youngest daughter.

My family has a history of woodwork, my Grandfather and Uncle taught woodwork in the Victorian Secondary school system and my Great-Great-Great Grandfather moved his furniture factory from England to Melbourne in the 1850's and set up business he lived in John Batman’s house, his factory stood where Young & Jackson’s now stands and he cut the trees from the site of St Paul’s Cathedral to make furniture. Some of his furniture was sent back to England in 1851 to show the beauty of Australian wood. I have one of his wooden planes on my bookshelf.

I practice the fine art of woodwork at the FIG Woodworks in my spare time, and where possible I use recycled timber or timber from sustainable resources.

I find that woodwork is a good way to de-stress after a busy week. My other interest is restoring vintage lawn mowers.

My work can be seen on my web page at http://www.users.bigpond.com/phillipmarkspencer

Some of my recent work is shown below.

Regards
Phil Spencer

HappyHammer
1st February 2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome Phil,

With all that history and experience you should be a great asset to us all. Just engage your sense of humour as some of the other members of the board think they're smart arses:D

Your work looks great also, I like the bowl especially, timber?

HH.

barnsey
1st February 2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the board Phil ;)

And nice work - that table & occasional table look great. Tell us what timbers were used and the finishes. :)

Jamie

Termite
1st February 2005, 10:21 AM
Just engage your sense of humour as some of the other members of the board think they're smart arses:D HH.
I don't think, therefore I am. ;)
Seriously though, welcome Phil and I do like your work.

craigb
1st February 2005, 10:33 AM
Yes, nice work Phil.

Why do you keep poking your tongue out at us though? :confused:

Welcome to the BB.

CanFly
1st February 2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Phil,

Very nice work, and welcome.

Your workshop layout is very good with plenty of room.

Ray

reeves
1st February 2005, 11:54 AM
nice looking stuff Phil - i like the burl bowl a lot..

cheeeeers

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 04:02 PM
Welcome Phil,

With all that history and experience you should be a great asset to us all. Just engage your sense of humour as some of the other members of the board think they're smart arses:D

Your work looks great also, I like the bowl especially, timber?

HH.
Sorry about the lack of humor my wife says that I can't do two things at once, the wood in the bowl is Jarrah burl with a pewter sleeping Koala on the rim it was a house warming present for a friend, the two tables are recycled massmate from Shiver Me Timbers in Williamstown.

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks Ray, the timber in the tables is recycled messmate the trestle table is finished with satin estapol oil and wax it sits on my patio, the hall table is hand rubed shelac and wax the bowl is jarrah burl with friction polish and wax.

Have a look at my web page for more work, my workshop layout and what a biscuit jointer does to fingers I was lucky the biscuit jointer was new so the blade was sharp!!

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 04:07 PM
Plenty of room after I have kicked the GLW's car she won't leave it outside.

barnsey
1st February 2005, 04:13 PM
Ain't it funny how SWMBO loses the sense of humour when the car is out and the machinery is in :confused:

Still she should be happy with your work. ;)

Thanks for sharing your experiences :D

Jamie

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 04:22 PM
I can't realy complain when I took the GLW to the woodworking show she brought me a Leigh dovetail jig. The other thing she does that I don't understand is that she goes to me wallet BUT SHE PUTS MONEY IN with out me knowing!! I am not sure if I should complain and put a stop to this!!

Phil

Five Thumbs
1st February 2005, 04:31 PM
I can't realy complain when I took the GLW to the woodworking show she brought me a Leigh dovetail jig. The other thing she does that I don't understand is that she goes to me wallet BUT SHE PUTS MONEY IN with out me knowing!! I am not sure if I should complain and put a stop to this!!

Phil
Please. Please. Please tell us how we can get our wives to do the thing with the putting money in!!!!

Cheers :D

5T

Phil Spencer
1st February 2005, 04:35 PM
Dunnow how it happens it just does!!