PDA

View Full Version : Product & Public Liability Insurance

Mulgabill
24th January 2012, 09:51 AM
This thread was started by what was alluded to in another thread with the mentioned product liability of tea candle lamps.

It got me thinking, as I exhibit my work at various venues and sell a few of my pieces and do the occasional demonstration, I thought it may be prudent to look at some sort of Product and Public Liability Insurance.

I noticed in some of the Australian woodworking publications that the Victorian Woodworkers Association offered this type of cover through the brokers City Rural Insurance Brokers for QBE Insurance.

On contacting the brokers everything appear fine until I asked if the cover would extend to the repair of furniture items, i.e. repair of table and chair legs, rocking chairs and the like. To my surprise the answer was an emphatic NO!:o For this you would require "Commercial" Insurance cover. As an amateur turner this seems extreme.:no:

Has any other woodworker had an experience such as this and is there perhaps another alternative cost effective cover?

hughie
24th January 2012, 05:00 PM
It would appear you have run into the 'fine print' :U

Mulgabill
24th January 2012, 05:18 PM
Yes hughie! The old if you don't ask they will not tell you trick:no:

wheelinround
24th January 2012, 05:24 PM
Be warned QBE has many fine print clauses some are done using invisible ink me thinks. A personal experience of QBE and ANY pre-existing condition.

NCArcher
24th January 2012, 05:39 PM
Ray that has been my personal experience with QBE as well. :~

A Duke
24th January 2012, 05:45 PM
The big print giveth
and the small print taketh away.

wheelinround
24th January 2012, 05:48 PM
Ray that has been my personal experience with QBE as well. :~

I discovered they are the most brought before the discrimination boards for it and win many cases for Workers Comp using the loop holes your not aware of till its to late. All with the blessing of Human Rights Australia, they are not the only ones. This is why there is a move by Federal to insure persons with disabilities under seperate insurance.

Edited to add news item http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-23/disability-scheme-barbara-miller/3784940