PDA

View Full Version : Pretending to be

bowl-basher
24th January 2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks to Avery I have a nice log of Camphor to make the large Vase that SWMBO wants:):)
It only just cleared the ways as I wanted to run it off center to get a mix of heart wood . It is almost roughed down and ready to reverse into the chuck ..... The dia will come down about another 10mm and the neck will be a lot narrower than it is at the moment... a lot of fun and up to the ankles in shavings
I will post some more photos as it progresses
Thanks again Avery:2tsup:
Regards
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
24th January 2012, 05:53 PM
Does that include copious amounts of tea and cigs BB:U

Looks like it just fit on the Cougar, how'd it handle it????

Shed mus smell like heaven, a clear head and sinus.

Avery
24th January 2012, 05:53 PM
Geez, you don't muck about!

It looks like it might have some colour in it.

RETIRED
24th January 2012, 06:09 PM
Keep an eye on that tail centre BB. The cone ones have a habit of coming loose as the "wear" into the hole.

We always use ring centres, big ones I might add, for that reason.

Looks like a good job.

bowl-basher
24th January 2012, 06:41 PM
Keep an eye on that tail centre BB. The cone ones have a habit of coming loose as the "wear" into the hole.

Looks like a good job.

:CI found that out the hard way ... started to get a bit of a shake and the tail had worn loose .. no problem from here as it will reverse in to the chuck.... and Wheeling the Cougar did it with ease roughing was at about 300-350 rpm and moved up to 550 now...Now I just got to work out how to get all the wood out of the middle of her Vase and make room for the weeds:no:
Regards
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
24th January 2012, 07:18 PM
BB Trend has deep hollowers on the table.

Have used Darrells Sorby and Munro liked the Munro best for what I was doing very wet Norfolk Pine.

You could core drill so far for starters.

Ad de Crom
24th January 2012, 07:47 PM
Graham, a big undertaking for you, I'm curious to see the progress.
Ad

sturina
24th January 2012, 09:12 PM
I'm interested in turning some vases so watching with interest and bated breath.

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2012, 09:37 PM
This could be interesting - I've pulled up a bench to have a watch

nice so far

Tim the Timber Turner
24th January 2012, 09:51 PM

A couple of other ideas if you don't have a large ring centre.

1: Drill a sutiable hole and insert the live centre 25mm into the log or:

2: If you have a live centre that will pass through the centre hole of another face plate, you can screw the second faceplate onto the tailstock end. It will then act like a keeper for the live centre.

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
24th January 2012, 10:04 PM
A couple of other ideas if you don't have a large ring centre.

1: Drill a sutiable hole and insert the live centre 25mm into the log or: Most centres bottom out and run on the casing. Get hot, smoke and smell. DAMHIKT.:D

2: If you have a live centre that will pass through the centre hole of another face plate, you can screw the second faceplate onto the tailstock end. It will then act like a keeper for the live centre.

Cheers

Tim:)No 2: good idea.:2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
24th January 2012, 10:40 PM
Quote by : Most centres bottom out and run on the casing. Get hot, smoke and smell. DAMHIKT.

You got it wrong .:no::p(not often you do but I enjoy correcting you when you do):U:2tsup:

The hole should be of a large enough diameter to provide clearance on the body of the live centre.

This is how we held the big SATURN mushroom that took 45 turners 2 days to make. Well 45 turners had a bash at helping to remove a couple of hundred kilos of shavings. The centre used was a woodfast 3 bearing cone centre, still the best centre I've come across.

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
24th January 2012, 10:44 PM
:p
The centre used was a woodfast 3 bearing cone centre, still the best centre I've come across.Me too for most work.

Unfortunately they are a bit small for the big stuff. I use custom made ones for that.

Tim the Timber Turner
24th January 2012, 11:08 PM
:p Me too for most work.

Unfortunately they are a bit small for the big stuff. I use custom made ones for that.

OK, OK yours might be longer,:o but mine's fatter:p so there:p:p.

You need a custom made one?:B:B

Well I just use my standard equipment I've had all along.:D

So lets have a vote is it the length:no: or the diameter:2tsup: that's important?

Must be bedtime.

Tim

cookie48
24th January 2012, 11:35 PM
Looking good. Can not wait to see the progress.

Grumpy John
25th January 2012, 06:15 AM
Hi BB, here's a link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/djembe-wip-125396/) to my djembe WIP you might get some ideas from that. Unfortunately it's stalled at the moment as I need to make an extended gate system out of 75 x 75 x 10 angle iron and I haven't had a chance to get to the steel merchants :((. Good luck with the project :2tsup:

bowl-basher
25th January 2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks all.
It would have been nice to hace a big ring center but we must at times make do with what we have (SWMBO would kill me if she cuaght me buying nice things like a ring center) the worst is over (for now:C)
I have reversed it in to the chuck and started to refine the shape .the spigot on the neck end will be cut properly and I will reverse it again and finish the base (probably go to expansion mode) then I intend to put it back in the mode you see here with a steady (yet to be made:() running in the track I have left. I will then hollow the thing and use a jam chuck in the neck to finish the outside.......This is the plan and we all know what happens to the plan:C:C
Regards
Bowl Basher

wheelinround
25th January 2012, 06:28 PM
BB thats is going to have some awesome colour as Avery stated its looking good.

bowl-basher
27th January 2012, 08:25 PM
Hi All
Made the steady today 30 x 30 x 6 Angle iron 12mm threaded bar and some wheels from an old set of skates works like a charm:U:U
bored 51mm to a depth of 380 mm and copious amounts of super glue applied to a crack
now for the fun I am working on an oland type tool but I think I need to get some square bar so it will resist twisting.... but we will see
Regards
Bwl-Basher

wheelinround
27th January 2012, 08:32 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: A WiP with extra love it

Sawdust Maker
27th January 2012, 08:39 PM
Nice steady :2tsup:

watching the wood with interest

Paul39
28th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi All
Made the steady today 30 x 30 x 6 Angle iron 12mm threaded bar and some wheels from an old set of skates works like a charm:U:UBwl-Basher

How is the steady mounted to the bed. Photo please.

VERY nice steady!

sjm
28th January 2012, 11:58 AM
Nice idea for the steady - do you find the nuts vibrate loose?

bowl-basher
28th January 2012, 07:11 PM
How is the steady mounted to the bed. Photo please.

VERY nice steady!
A block welded to the bottom angle iron with a bolt welded in. the small piece of angle iron goes across the ways.. I had no problem with any thing coming loose but I used nuts on both sides of each piece

The monster is finnished ..... I wanted to bring the neck down closer to the shoulder to make a longer neck area but HER TO WHOM IT BELONGS SAID:( " THAT IS WHAT I WANT"
It is 410 high and 190dia at the shoulder the walls are about 10mm and I have left about 60mm in the base... in the pic it has had one coat of WOP will probably give it about 5-6 coats.. it was a fun thing to do but The main problem was that by turning the log off center to start one side is heart wood and the other is sap wood and it NEVER came in to balance also hollowing without a tool gate is not fun ... but I will do it again:U:U:U
Regards

Bowl Basher

Avery
28th January 2012, 08:47 PM
OOoh! so nice!

can I have my log back now ?

Inspirational stuff BB. Now I ned to get one of the smaller pieces out of the back shed and mount it on my little yellow terror... tomorrow perhaps.

powderpost
28th January 2012, 09:07 PM
Top effort... looks really good. :2tsup:
Jim

wheelinround
28th January 2012, 11:35 PM
BB she is in command and seems to have the insight required you have done well.

Now show the hollowing tool .............please:U

Paul39
29th January 2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks BB,

Nice job on the steady. I need one as I have several vases not hollowed.

Your's is much less complicated than the three wheel ones that have bars moving in and out.

The vase is beautiful, nice shape, nice figure, nice everything!

bowl-basher
29th January 2012, 10:22 AM
BB she is in command and seems to have the insight required you have done well.

Now show the hollowing tool .............please:U

Ray
in the words of the prophet "it ain't Pretty"'
IT is a lump of 20mm bright bar with a tang on one end and originally a neck that was bored to take a bit of tool steel locked in place by a grub screw.... now has a 12.5mm bar silver soldered in with the end bent and a step cut in the end and slice of tool steel is silver soldered on to the step and ground to a rough scraper angle.. it took 2 goes to get the bend somewhere near rite as the first time I left the bent bit to long and it was just to hard to hold... the finish is a bit rough but I have cleaned up the neck to a depth of about 150mm with a scraper
Regards
Bowl-Basher