PDA

View Full Version : Technical help for legendary Symtec Wood lathe owner

Fix Steady
24th January 2012, 07:21 PM
Hi to all existing Symtec wood lathe owner:

More than 20 years ago, my company was manufacturing Symtec wood lathe under licence from Symtec Products Pty Ltd. Although I have ceased manufacturing and have destroyed most of the engineering drawings long time ago, I can still remember all the various major machine parameters and dimensions. With these knowledge I have actually help some of these existing owners with technical support and spares.

If you are one of these machine owner who required technical or spares support I may be able to help you. I am doing these because I strongly believed that Symtec wood lathe was and still is a very unique and extremely safe wood lathe in the world. Also Les is a good friend of mine and I really do not want his invention to disappear from this world.

Do send me a PM and I will try my best to help

Edward

hughie
24th January 2012, 08:02 PM
Edward, Welcome aboard, I am sure all who own a Symtec lathe will be very greatfull for your advise and experience. :2tsup:

Fix Steady
28th January 2012, 02:43 PM
Edward, Welcome aboard, I am sure all who own a Symtec lathe will be very greatfull for your advise and experience. :2tsup:

Thank you for your warm welcome:) I am more than happy to share my knowledge and experience with any existing machine owner. Symtec wood lathe is extremely unique and has a very special place in my heart. The same goes to Mr Geyer who is the inventor of the machine>

underfoot
29th January 2012, 05:50 AM
Welcome Edward
I can recall seeing these unusual lathes at the early wwwood shows...
some of the members here may not be familiar with them..
do you have any pics you could show and a little more information perhaps.

Fix Steady
29th January 2012, 06:39 PM
Welcome Edward
I can recall seeing these unusual lathes at the early wwwood shows...
some of the members here may not be familiar with them..
do you have any pics you could show and a little more information perhaps.

Underfoot:

The word 'Unusual' is not enough to described the machine, I would say that it is the world the most unique lathe. As we all know, wood turning is a tedious process, it take many years of experience and training to be a good wood turner, also due to the nature of conventional wood turning, it is sometimes a dangerous process due to the fact that the chisel which is hand held may got gouged into the work piece and thus becoming airborne. Symtec wood lathe has totally eliminate all these problems, it is so safe and simple to operate that any complete novice from young boy to senior citizen and people with certain handicap problem is able to became a proficient wood turner in less than 1 hour time!

Besides the above features, it also has many build in standard features and accessories that cannot be found on other machines. Some example of these feature includes the followings:

Ability to make exact copies from sample w/o expensive special attachment
Ability to make exact copies from template w/o expensive attachment.
Ability to carry out small batch production based on above features
Ability to do fluting on the surface of the work piece
Build in centre holes drilling
Build in attachment for cutter grinding.

I can certainly provide photos, videos and more information on this very special machine but I am very new to this forum and don't know how to post these photos. Perhaps you or other senior members can guide me or direct me to the appropriate thread that can teach me how to do it. However, do take note that whatever photos or videos posted will not be the actual Symtec lathe but based on a very similar machine that I have build for my own use.

Edward

Treecycle
29th January 2012, 08:03 PM
Welcome Edward. This link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/posting-pictures-your-post-78760/) may be of some help to you in regard to your photos.

Fix Steady
29th January 2012, 09:43 PM
Welcome Edward. This link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/posting-pictures-your-post-78760/) may be of some help to you in regard to your photos.

Hi Treecycle:

Thank you for your guidance, I like to know besides photos can I also upload video clips using the link given by you?

Thanks and cheers:)

Edward

Treecycle
30th January 2012, 07:37 AM
Maybe this link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f117/how-do-i-embed-video-webpage-89453/) will help. I have never uploaded a video so I don't know if this is the only way.

hughie
30th January 2012, 08:31 AM
With all this unique info on the go, it will make for a very interesting thread. Especially for me as I tend to my build my own lathes to my ion requirements.

Fix Steady
30th January 2012, 12:08 PM
With all this unique info on the go, it will make for a very interesting thread. Especially for me as I tend to my build my own lathes to my ion requirements.

Hi hughie:

Believe me, once you have seen the video clips and full capabilitiy of the machine you will shake your head in total awe struck condition. The same happen to me when I first get to know Mr Geyer and his machine.

Just one info that may interests you since you like lathes that make your requirement. Symtec lathe is so safe that the Ministry of education in my country specified the machine as a must in a tender for the school workshop. Thus I must of equiped most of the school wood working workshop with this lathes

Anyway, last nite I posted 2 photos, until now it did not appear I don't know the reason but I suspect I am still under moderation. If so, please do stay around while I search my PC hard disk and try to upload more info especially video clips.

Edward

Edward

Fix Steady
30th January 2012, 01:20 PM
As requested, I upload 2 photos

Photo 1 show copying from sample
Photo 2 show copying from template

More photos to be upload when I have the time

Edward

Ps: Anyone know if I can upload video clips, I try to upload but the loading is so slow until I gave up.

Groggy
30th January 2012, 01:48 PM
Ps: Anyone know if I can upload video clips, I try to upload but the loading is so slow until I gave up.It is usually easier to load them to uTube then link to them.

Fix Steady
30th January 2012, 09:01 PM
It is usually easier to load them to uTube then link to them.

Thank you sir for pointing the way for me, I will do as suggested by you or I may upload it onto my FB.

Meanwhile managed to find one good general view photo of the lathe (similar to Symtec model 1500). For those who have use or owned a Symtec wood lathe before:), I am sure this photo will bring back fond memories

Edward

China
30th January 2012, 09:54 PM
This will be a interesting thread especialy to gauge the level of interest, i.e. to see if there is more interest, as we all know lack of interest is what caused the demise of the Symtec lathe years ago

Christopha
30th January 2012, 09:57 PM
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahaa.... Oh.... Hohoohohohohohoohhoohoho.... Cough! Wheeze! Splutter! ....

RETIRED
30th January 2012, 10:10 PM
Wondered how long it would take.:rolleyes:

Fix Steady
30th January 2012, 11:51 PM
This will be a interesting thread especialy to gauge the level of interest, i.e. to see if there is more interest, as we all know lack of interest is what caused the demise of the Symtec lathe years ago

Hi:

I don't really know what the reason that caused the demise of Symtec wood lathe and it also does not bother me whether there is interests in this thread. I am only here to share knowledge and perhaps provide some technical support to existing machine owner. This thread will naturally dies off once there is no interests

joe greiner
31st January 2012, 12:08 AM
A forum Search for [symtec] finds 93 threads, including this one; earliest was June 1999.

Cheers,
Joe

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 02:40 AM
A forum Search for [symtec] finds 93 threads, including this one; earliest was June 1999.

Cheers,
Joe

Wow, so after a span of about 13 years, there is still interests shown in this thread. I am surprised. :D It prove that good machine don't vanish :)

Edward

Harry72
31st January 2012, 04:19 AM
Ive used one a few times, they were great for repeative spindle turning but for anything other than that they were pretty useless as you couldnt get a decent tool rest on them for hand held tools.

wheelinround
31st January 2012, 09:40 AM
Fix Steady there is a group in Australia of dedicated users small as it is they love their machines.

One of these is one of the members who would have posted PTC down in Tasmania who is selling off his gear ATM. His passion for the lathe has not faulted shame his health has.

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 12:20 PM
Fix Steady there is a group in Australia of dedicated users small as it is they love their machines.

One of these is one of the members who would have posted PTC down in Tasmania who is selling off his gear ATM. His passion for the lathe has not faulted shame his health has.

I will appreciates if you can let this group of dedicated users know that I am able to help them should they requires technical assistance :) Or perhaps with their approval you can also pass me their contact. I can also be reached at [email protected]

Ive used one a few times, they were great for repeative spindle turning but for anything other than that they were pretty useless as you couldnt get a decent tool rest on them for hand held tools.

No machine is perfect, Symtec wood lathe does has its limitation, the same goes with every conventional wood lathe. However, can the conventional wood lathe does copying work? Fluting process? Or it is safe? More important, why do you want to use the hand held tool when the machine was designed to be operated with tool jig? I will only use hand held chisel on the machine when I want to turn big bowl mounted on the rear end of the spindle of the head stock. Frankly, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I am here to offer technical help to existing Symtec wood lathe owner and not here to discuss the pro and con of the machine. I strongly believe for every product launch, there will be people who like it and there will also be people who don't like it. It all depends on individual requirements.

Edward

Harry72
31st January 2012, 05:18 PM
Mate I didnt say it was a bad machine, for their intended purpose they are good and I happen to like using the machine... even when using a motor scooters back axle as the cutting tool!

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 05:35 PM
Mate I didnt say it was a bad machine, for their intended purpose they are good and I happen to like using the machine... even when using a motor scooters back axle as the cutting tool!

My sincere apologise for making this mistake. You still have the machine? If you want I can send you a genuine cutter so that you can get your poor motor scooter back into operation as a transport tool:p

Edward

Christopha
31st January 2012, 06:44 PM
My sincere apologise for making this mistake. You still have the machine? If you want I can send you a genuine cutter so that you can get your poor motor scooter back into operation as a transport tool:p

Edward

Good Grief! A symtec person with an excellent sense of humour! WOOHOO and Goodonya mate!!!

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 10:45 PM
Good Grief! A symtec person with an excellent sense of humour! WOOHOO and Goodonya mate!!!

Mate this is a good one! You just make my day:p:p:p:wink:

China
31st January 2012, 11:46 PM
Let me make my point a bit clearer I'm not knocking it or supporting it, I am just interested in seeing what the support is like now given the amount of negative stuff that has been said about it much of it by people who would not know one end of a lathe from the other. One point, I ran a woodturning buisness for many years. I had several types of lathe different machines for different jobs.

Fix Steady
1st February 2012, 01:20 AM
Let me make my point a bit clearer I'm not knocking it or supporting it, I am just interested in seeing what the support is like now given the amount of negative stuff that has been said about it much of it by people who would not know one end of a lathe from the other. One point, I ran a woodturning buisness for many years. I had several types of lathe different machines for different jobs.

Thank you for making clear your point of view. I have only manufactured this machine for about 2 years and all of these machines are sold in SE Asia. None of these machines were sold in Australia thus I do not know what kind of negative comments that its has received down under. From my side I have only received positive comments and have yet to received any negative comments. I can only come to a conclusion that neither the machine was very well received in SE Asia or they are just purchased for display only! :D

Meanwhile, you have my deepest respect for being a professional when its come to constructive comments.:2tsup: I must also mention that I am a design engineer by profession and I am like thousands of other seek wood turning as a kind of hobby and stress relieved.

Mate, come to think of it, I distinctly remember reading a thread in this forum that someone posted that he use a motor scooter axle as a cutting tool. Now I finally meet the author of this post on the forum.:)

Cheers
Edward

China
1st February 2012, 02:32 AM
For those who are unfamiliar with the Symtec here is a photo it was manufactured 5 mins from my previous address

Fix Steady
6th February 2012, 03:12 PM
Hi all:

Past few days I have receviced enquriy and request from friends and members here. Instead of replying them individual I would like to post it here.

1 Is the machine show in post #13 an original Symtec machine?

No, Although its capacity and concept is the same as Symtec model 1500, the
machine shown is a newbuild. The major difference between these two is that the
machine shown in post #13 have a different machine stand which gives a much
better stablitiy to the machine during turning. The original step pulleys type for
speed change has being replaced with electronic speed controller for variable
speed control. Finally, the electric motor has been upgrade to a bigger hp size.

For photo of the original machine, please refer to the one kindly posted by our
member China.

2 Does Symtec has a smaller Bench Top version of the machine?

Altough Mr Geyer did told me that he may be developing a much more smaller and
cheaper version of the machine during his stay in my country but I have yet to see
it. Perhaps other members in this forum can advise? However, many years ago I did
make one mostly for pen and small part turning. I enclosed a photo for those who
are interested to view.

Edward

Fix Steady
6th February 2012, 03:29 PM
For those who have requested for video clips of the actual turning process of the machine. Here is the first part of four parts

Copying from sample: Wood lathe, copying from sample - YouTube or search for 'Wood lathe, copying from sample"

Note:

Unlike conventional wood lathe, it is not necessary to rough off the corners of the wood blank

Edward

Fix Steady
6th February 2012, 04:43 PM
Part 2

Fluting process

Wood Lathe Fluting Process - YouTube

Enjoy:U

wheelinround
7th February 2012, 09:12 AM
FS although I do not own one its nice of you to share these videos.:2tsup:

fineboxes
7th February 2012, 10:22 AM
I have a Symtec 1800- and love it, but do not have the original cutting tool.

I have tried to fashion one from Metal lathe tool cutters but not to successfully.

So have been forced to use normal Lathe Tools which sort of defeats the Brilliant Idea behind the original design. Can you help with the Tool Bit?

I have been scratching my head over how the Trimmer tool rest works. Any help with there would be fantastic.

Also is it possible to purchase the adapters for the barley twisting feature?

I saw one in Sydney in the early 90's and it impressed the heck out of me.

Cheers

Steve

Fine Boxes (http://www.fineboxes.com.au)

Fix Steady
7th February 2012, 12:49 PM
FS although I do not own one its nice of you to share these videos.:2tsup:

Thank you mate, I sincerely hope you can purchase one in the near coming future! Do drop me a line if need any further info. Meanwhile, enjoy Part 3 of the 4 parts video clips.

COPYING FROM TEMPLATE:
Wood lathe, Copying from Template - YouTube

Again, take note that unlike conventional wood lathe, there is no need to round off the four corners before turning.

Cheers

Edward

Fix Steady
7th February 2012, 01:23 PM
I have a Symtec 1800- and love it, but do not have the original cutting tool.

I have tried to fashion one from Metal lathe tool cutters but not to successfully.

So have been forced to use normal Lathe Tools which sort of defeats the Brilliant Idea behind the original design. Can you help with the Tool Bit?

I have been scratching my head over how the Trimmer tool rest works. Any help with there would be fantastic.

Also is it possible to purchase the adapters for the barley twisting feature?

I saw one in Sydney in the early 90's and it impressed the heck out of me.

Cheers

Steve

Fine Boxes (http://www.fineboxes.com.au)

Hi Steve:

To answer your questions:

1 Cutter; Drop me a email with your contact number and address and I will ship a cutter to you via the post.

2 Trimmer tool rest works, I don't know which part you are refering to. Is it the actual attachment or the protactor / side guide attachment? Again drop me a email with a sketch or drawing and I will get back to you.

3 Adapters for the barley twisting feature: Did Symtec manufactured this attachment? I don't remember that there is such a attachment. However, for the past years I am very keen in this barley twisting and I am currently trying to make such an attachment.

Lastly I can understand why you are impressed with the machine, as a design engineer by profession I was literally rooted on the spot and completely mesmerized when witnessed the operation of the machine at an exhibition in my country by Mr. Geyer.

:)All Australian should be proud of the fact that SYMTEC Wood lathe was invented by a native Australian:)

Meanwhile, do take the time to enjoy the video clip posted above.

Edward

wheelinround
7th February 2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you mate, I sincerely hope you can purchase one in the near coming future! Do drop me a line if need any further info. Meanwhile, enjoy Part 3 of the 4 parts video clips.

COPYING FROM TEMPLATE

Wood lathe, Copying from Template - YouTube (http://youtu.be/zF4IdMg5T3E)

Again, take note that unlike conventional wood lathe, there is no need to round off the four corners before turning.

Cheers

Edward

Edward no chance of owning one no room :no: I do know where a compete unit is for sale with all attachments sadly Tassie is to far away and as stated above.

Fix Steady
7th February 2012, 01:59 PM
Edward no chance of owning one no room :no: I do know where a compete unit is for sale with all attachments sadly Tassie is to far away and as stated above.

Solution: Build a bigger workshop or shift house:q

wheelinround
7th February 2012, 02:11 PM
Solution: Build a bigger workshop or shift house:q

Need to win Lotto first and as I do not buy tickets :U

gidgee 1
7th February 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi Fix Steady.
If you get to make your barley twist attachment,will it be available to use on other lathes?

cheers
gidgee 1

Fix Steady
7th February 2012, 03:04 PM
Need to win Lotto first and as I do not buy tickets :U

Actually compare with me, you people living in Australia are very lucky. You stay in landed property with large garden, have beautful forest etc. As for me, 90% of all Singaporean live in government build high rise apartment flat. The flat is so small that the only thing we can do in it is to eat, sleep and go to the toilet!! It is a good thing that I own a fully equiped machine shop thus I am able to use the faclities for my hobby which is actually building and flying radio controlled vingate glider.

wheelinround
7th February 2012, 06:00 PM
FS not so old chap, not so many Suburban and inner city people also live much like your self. Yet I have seen many of these people do more with less.

We rent ATM small 3 bedroom, with lounge room, kitchen and dinning area all in one. The garage attached is my haven sometime shared like today with her.

Yet I know many who have acreage sheds a plenty and do nothing with them but store stuff in them rubbish mainly.:;

RETIRED
7th February 2012, 07:06 PM

I have been biting my tongue since you put up that first video. That phrase is completely false. You do not have to take off the corners on a normal lathe, that is what they do. Quicker cleaner and easier than with a Symtec.

It took 1min 35 secs to get it near round. If I couldn't do that size blank in under 15 secs I should give the game away.

There is a place for Symtecs but please don't compare them to a conventional lathe.

Fix Steady
8th February 2012, 05:05 PM
Hi Fix Steady.
If you get to make your barley twist attachment,will it be available to use on other lathes?

cheers
gidgee 1

Hi gidgee:

Sorry for the late reply, Currently the barley twisting attachment is being developed using Symtec machine concept as the base. Thus at the moment there is no intention of trying to adapt the system on other conventional machine. If you are interested, you can always drop me a email, I will keep you abreast on the development of this attachment.

Edward

My email: [email protected]

Fix Steady
8th February 2012, 05:59 PM
I have been biting my tongue since you put up that first video. That phrase is completely false. You do not have to take off the corners on a normal lathe, that is what they do. Quicker cleaner and easier than with a Symtec.

It took 1min 35 secs to get it near round. If I couldn't do that size blank in under 15 secs I should give the game away.

There is a place for Symtecs but please don't compare them to a conventional lathe.

Hi Mate:

Thank you for bringing up this issue. Allow me to offer my point of view: Unless my command of the Queen English language is extremely screw up, I did not at any time mentioned in my 25 posting in this forum that you MUST remove all the corners of the wood blank before you can commence machining. The issue here is the SAFETY FACTOR. As a professional turner with many years of turning experience, I am very sure you are able to judge whether it is safe or not.......

However let me further illustrate my point of view. If you will to refer to the photo attachment titled "Bowel turning 'Before'" you can see that it is a typical wood blank make up by many turner. This work piece is made from many small blocks of 2 different type of wood (Kapor and Ramin) glued together. It is about 7-1/2" sqaure and 4-1/2" thick. One side of the block is machined flat to mount the steel face plate, while the rest is left as pre-cut form. Spining at more than 3,000rpm, would you and can you carry out the process without removing part of the corners? Let me answer the question myself, Yes, it is possible to carry out the process with risk of injuries.

Whatever reply you going to post here, I am not going to reply to your 'reply posting' Instead I will let all the members in this forum who is reading this post to draw their own conclusion. If they think it is possible to carry out the turning process using a conventional lathe without removing part of the corners then so be it. Simialarly, if they think they should remove part of the corners before the turning process, I will also say 'so be it".

For the record, I am a strong believer of safety and I will not hesitate to do or to buy any equipments that can help myself or my co-workers to work safely.

Also for the record, I am just a amateur wood turner and does not have the gut to carry out wood turning on this piece of wood blank using hand held chisel.

Gday and Thank you
Edward

Fix Steady
8th February 2012, 06:12 PM
FS not so old chap, not so many Suburban and inner city people also live much like your self. Yet I have seen many of these people do more with less.

We rent ATM small 3 bedroom, with lounge room, kitchen and dinning area all in one. The garage attached is my haven sometime shared like today with her.

Yet I know many who have acreage sheds a plenty and do nothing with them but store stuff in them rubbish mainly.:;

I still envy you at least you got a garage for your own use! I do own a 'garage' for couple hundred of cars but i have to pay every month for one lot, worst of all I have to share it with hundreds of other tenants!!! Anyway, I going to stop posting on this thread once I uplaod the last video (Title: Ultimate safety test) so do help me to spread the words around on my offer to help other Symtec machine but only for technical issue.

Thank you:)

Edward

Tim the Timber Turner
8th February 2012, 10:02 PM
Anyone who spins a laminated blank like the one shown (square or round) at “more that 3000rpm” is either ignorant of the dangers involved or if they are an experienced turner they should know better.

Edward please don’t put that up as a safe method of work because it isn’t.

I don’t care what sort of lathe you use; if that blank delaminates at “more than 3000rpm” it could cause some serious damage.

1000rpm would be the maximum speed I would use, with full face and head protection.

At 1000rpm the quality of cut, with that type of tool, in softer timbers, would be very poor.
It will require lots of sanding to get a good finish. In the photos I can see the tear marks off the tool.

Edward I’m sorry if I’ve rained on your party.

Keep plugging away mate.

Cheers

Tim:)

RETIRED
8th February 2012, 10:25 PM
Second that!

Groggy
8th February 2012, 10:34 PM
Well, I for one am interested in the design and use of the lathe itself, and feel that should not be lost in discussion of technique. I am fortunate enough to own a Vicmarc but my technique shouldn't reflect on the lathe. It is an interesting concept for copying but there seems to be some prejudice against these machines, is there?

powderpost
8th February 2012, 10:50 PM
As one who does a bit of laminating, there is no way I would turn a laminated blank at more than 1000rpm, more like 800. I have used a Symtec lathe, and enjoyed the experience. I first saw one operated at the Wood show in Brisbane an years ago. They were being promoted then as a safe machine for visually impaired people. They do have their place in the system.
Jim

Tim the Timber Turner
8th February 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi Groggy

I had no intention of restarting the old Symtec argument.
Too many people got into trouble with that one.

It is important to point out a method of work that is dangerous and should not be attempted.

On a more positive note you might like to check out Woodfast as they used to make an attachment that would probably fit on your Vicmark. It worked on the same principle with a stylus.
I know where there is one for sale if you are interested.

Cheers

Fix Steady
8th February 2012, 11:12 PM
Anyone who spins a laminated blank like the one shown (square or round) at “more that 3000rpm” is either ignorant of the dangers involved or if they are an experienced turner they should know better.

Edward please don’t put that up as a safe method of work because it isn’t.

I don’t care what sort of lathe you use; if that blank delaminates at “more than 3000rpm” it could cause some serious damage.

1000rpm would be the maximum speed I would use, with full face and head protection.

At 1000rpm the quality of cut, with that type of tool, in softer timbers, would be very poor.
It will require lots of sanding to get a good finish. In the photos I can see the tear marks off the tool.
. The
Edward I’m sorry if I’ve rained on your party.

Keep plugging away mate.

Cheers

Hi Tim

Thank you for your concern and comment. Also you did not rain on my party. The usual rpm that I used is always about 1000rpm, The 3,000rpm was used as a test under laboratory condition with all safety factors taken into considersation not only with full PPE but with a safety shield for further protection.:)

Edward

Fix Steady
9th February 2012, 12:28 AM
Hi Groggy

I had no intention of restarting the old Symtec argument.

Cheers

Hi Tim and others who is reading this post:

For the record, I too have no intention to restart any argument on the Symtec wood lathe. My original good intention when I started this thread was to provide whatever help I can in term of technical knowledge or spares to any existing Symtec wood lathe owners who might need it. It is only when members in this forum that do not believe in the concept of the machine that got me to set out to prove the capability of the machine. Take note that I got nothing to gain from all these postings.

As for the wood blank, I must admit that it is certainly dangerous to spin at that speed but that is not the point of view that I want to convey across in the posting to the members here. My point of view, is that it proves beyond doubt that with the Symtec cutting system, it can safely handle even such extreme cutting condition without endangering anyone along the way.

And for those who still does not believe in the machine safety, allow me to post the final part of the four parts video which I have given the Title: 'Machine ultimate safety test' Again for safety reason, this test is also done under laboratory control condition. I believe many senior and older members here have somehow seen the actual demonstration of the machine perhaps by Mr. Geyer during his presentation but did he actually demonstrated this safety test for his customers?

Video Brief: In the video: A 12mm thick piece of rectangular plywood scrap is clamped between the driving spur and the live center at one of its corners. Again spinning at max speed, the cutter which is in the tool jig is push forward to cut at the thinnest part of the plywood, it is also used to cut the plywood at 90 deg and also at an angle to the plywood. Take note that the tool jig was not griped tightly in the turner hand but is actually guided in the cutting direction using 2 fingers only. In the final seconds of the video the scrap plywood stopped spining because the cutting tool was plunged too deep.

Wood lathe Machine Ultimate Safety Test - YouTube

For conclusion, I again leave it to any members who are reading all these posting to come to their own conclusion. Also since this thread is begin to create alot of unnecessary arugment, I will from now only reply to those posting that concern the machine technically or spares. I will ignore all other posting that is of non technical issue. Hope all of you can understand.

Gday and thank you all very much for all your comment etc, I must say that I have learnt alot from all these postings.

Edward:)

Fix Steady
9th February 2012, 02:32 PM
To the gentleman who name is John and have left a text message in my mobile phone for some enquiry and request, I am sorry that I am not able to reply back via your phone because my phone OS has crashed and I have lost all the data etc. I am thus replying you in this post in hope that you are reading it.

You asked:

1 Am I manufacturing the machine and if yes you would like to purchase one:

The answer to your question is both yes and no. Yes, I was commissioned to manufactured a small batch for a training institute about a year ago. No because all the units were delivered and I have nothing left. Also the answer is no, if you are thinking of asking me whether I can sell the existing unit to you:D.

2 If I am not manufacturing, can I make 1 for you?

Currently my day job is filling me up to my neck thus I do not have the time to considers such request. It can only happen if I am out of job, in retirement mode or if someone else willing to take charge of the manufacturing.

As you did not specify where you come from but if you are an Australian, then I suggest that you can search the used market there and choose one that can meet your budget. I am sure there are also members in this forum that know of someone who is selling the machine.

My answer to all your questions is very brief, it is because this is certainly not the right place to talk about buying and selling, since I have no other way of communicating with you thus I have no other choice but making it an exception to reply.

Thank you

Edward

Fix Steady
9th February 2012, 05:51 PM
Hi allI summarize some of the technical questions asked by turners. Can the your newbuild headstock replaced the Symtec machine headstock? No, Although both machine shares the same capacity, the mounting holes for headstock in my new build machine is not the same. Besides, the driving system is also different.

Fix Steady
10th February 2012, 03:24 PM
Hi all:

With the upload of the 4 video clips and answering of technical questions for the machine via this post, my email or mobile phone, I would like to concluded this thread. Anyone who still need further info can visit my Facebook Edward Po which has a dedicated section for the machine.

Thank you all

Edward Po