PDA

View Full Version : Turned and Carved Burls

Willy Nelson
25th January 2012, 01:17 PM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Despite the 40 deg heat we are experiencing here in Perth, I have managed to get some turning and carving done as I have installed air conditioning in my workshop for the huge sum of $40. I bought a cheap evaporative unit and mounted it in the wall, but that should probably be another thread as it serves two purposes.

I have attached some recent turned work, but also some carving. The carving is included as I have don't often work with Wandoo and Gimlet burl, so thought I would share the photos. The other unuasual item, which is a first for me was a carved Marri limb. Not sure whether I like it or not yet. This is just a slice of the trunk of a branch. The branch forms the foot.

All are finished with 10 coats of Danish Oil
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

cookie48
25th January 2012, 03:40 PM
Willy.
Very nice work. I like the lot so can not pick out anyone for preference. Must give this carving caper a go one day. It seems like good fun and nice owrk produced.
Congrats on your fine work. Well done.
Cookie

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2012, 07:43 PM
Nice work

I think the marri looks ok :2tsup:

HazzaB
25th January 2012, 09:42 PM
Hey Willy,

Awesome looking bits there, I must have mised the Wandoo, the other day :((

HazzaB

Farnk
26th January 2012, 12:02 AM
Some nice pieces there WN!
Showing off the figure in those burls to good effect:D

artme
26th January 2012, 09:46 AM
Willy, they all look PBG to me. Well done!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like the Marri. Good to something a little different.

finlay25
26th January 2012, 12:04 PM
Hi Willy Very nice looking burls,well done

Willy Nelson
26th January 2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your comments.
Despite the comments about showing off the figure, the Wandoo burl looks quite bland in the photo, when in real life, it is not. The Wandoo burl is approximately 40cm long
Cheers

Willy
Jarrahland