PDA

View Full Version : ML392... Should I - Shouldn't I?

DanP
2nd February 2005, 12:42 AM
In light of recent complaints about the ML392 Planer / Thicknesser I am having second thoughts about purchasing one.

Simple poll, Should I or Shouldn't I? and post as to Why or Why not.

Dan

PS. The offered price is $795 delivered.

vsquizz
2nd February 2005, 01:02 AM
Dan. I don't think you should get it but I don't think its rubbish either so I'll abstain. (for once in my life). I think you are pretty set on a combo because of space so here was my thoughts on the same dilemma;

I was set on getting the 392 but was concerned about the table length. As you may well know the alternative 10"-12" cheaper under/overs (around 2 grand) have a fairly short table (bar one). I saw this as a going to be a major drama for me down the track. 10" is wide enough but I'd like a table at least 1.4 metres long, it makes a big difference on longer timber.

Anyway I decided to defer the purchase and save up for the ML 393

http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?prodid=27220&searchOffset=0

The PT 260 looked not as solid as some of the others. The Metabo is a great machine but the table is only around 1 metre. Its more than I wanted to spend but I need the space and want something that will last.

Maybe I won Lotto tonight:D

Cheers

DanP
2nd February 2005, 01:11 AM
Squizz,

Thanks. You are spot on in the most part. My biggest problem is cash. It took me about 9 months to save enough for the machines I got at the WWW show. Now that I've got Number 2 on the way (due May) I am unlikely to be able to save any futher cash anytime in the forseeable future. So it's a case of get this one or nothing for probably several years. Especially since Darryl suckered me into buying clamps. :rolleyes:

Dan

vsquizz
2nd February 2005, 01:13 AM
On the otherside Dan, if they ship one down from Brissy where will you stand with warranty IF it does have a problem. I don't think the Asian built machines are the most reliable on earth but they generally don't sell real Duds. It seems BB members do have some problems but are these a real drama for the money you are paying.

Cheers

silentC
2nd February 2005, 08:29 AM
I didn't vote because I can't say if it's rubbish or not - haven't got one - but I reckon go for it. Sounds like a 'now or never' situation to me and it's better to have something in the shed that you can use. Even if it has limits, it is going to make a big difference to your life, especially if you are a bit strapped and use a lot of recycled timber. You'll probably replace it one day but it will get you out of trouble until you can afford a better machine.

bitingmidge
2nd February 2005, 08:51 AM
Dan,

I didn't vote either. Just buy the bloody thing!!!

You are going through the same emotional nonsense that I go through every time I actually come to part with folding stuff.

Coincidentally, last night I came across an ad I ran when selling my crappy Chinese table saw FOUR years ago, and remembered how miserable I was between making the decision to purchase and actually taking delivery of the thing. After it arrived it was probably the crappiest table saw ever made, but I didn't have this forum to tell me that, and spent weeks making it right and the whole time I had it, it was fun and wonderful and better than anything I'd ever had before.

When you can afford something better you'll always be able to sell it for pretty much what it cost (if not more), and even if you drop $2.00 per week for the time you own it, it's hardly worth worrying about!

The Brisbane mob are doing the right thing, it looks too good to be true, and all the reasons you put down the readys at the woodshow are still there.

GO FOR IT !!!

Cheers,

P (trusting I've made myself clear) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Grunt
2nd February 2005, 09:32 AM
Stop p!55 farting around and get the bloody thing. :D

BigPop
2nd February 2005, 10:00 AM
From one of the guys who has one and has had some trouble with his I would still say buy one - even though I have had a few 'minor' hiccups with it - it is still a terrific machine to use when it's going and takes up bugger all room. Now to track down some 'decent chain for it'

Bob Willson
2nd February 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah Dan, What everybody said.
I don't really like Chinese built as a rule, but if that was all I could afford then I would be in there and enjoying it.
Large machines make such a major difference to the way that you can handle timber. It makes the whole process much more enjoyable.
Your only alternative would seem to wait for a few years.

bitingmidge
2nd February 2005, 10:58 AM
Hmmm...6 egging you on counting CraigB on another thread, but no votes!!

I guess that makes us the silent majority!!
:D :D :D

Did I tell you I still own my crappy thicknesser, and even though I've replaced every bearing and chain in it, can't justify flogging it yet?? I'd love a flasher one, but it does all I ask of it.

If I sold it I reckon I'd be unlucky to drop more than a few hundred dollars over six years including the money I spent on repairs, but at the time I forked out the $600.00 it was so extravagent you'd have thought it was the end of the world.

This counts as two votes!

P :D

Gumby
2nd February 2005, 11:30 AM
Mine hasn't caused any problems yet. It doesn't do heaps of work though, so maybe I haven't given it enough. All I can say is that for the price you are offered, I can't see anything better around. I think there will always be problems of some sort with just about any machine like this (or others) under $1000. Just bite the bullet (figeratively speaking of course, don't want you stuffing up a tooth as well :eek: )

AlexS
2nd February 2005, 02:46 PM
I bought mine when they first came out, and have given it a pretty fair workout. So far, touch wood, it's done sterling service, although given other people's problems, I will take the covers off and give it a good lube & check over this afternoon.

Since I'm pushed for room & am the only person using my workshop, a combo machine made sense. Sure, I would have liked a longer table, but on the other hand, I've often used nearly the full 10" for planing, and a dedicated planer that size would have cost an arm & a leg.

PaulS
2nd February 2005, 02:56 PM
Now that I've got Number 2 on the way (due May) I am unlikely to be able to save any futher cash anytime in the forseeable future.
Dan
Dan,
Doesn't the government give you $3000 one off payment for having a kid. Sweet talk Mrs P.

And remember what our treasurer said "have one for the country". or maybe it should be "have one for the new thicknesser/planer".

Paul

Sturdee
2nd February 2005, 04:36 PM
On the otherside Dan, if they ship one down from Brissy where will you stand with warranty IF it does have a problem.

Dan, I don't have one so I can't comment on them, however Squizzy raised a good point. If you have to have a warranty claim you may have to ship it to Brisbane and pay for it to be sent back again. Making it an expensive exercise.

Normally you have to deliver the whole machine to the supplier and I doubt that Melbourne will help you in view of the circumstances.

Something to consider.

Peter.

DanP
2nd February 2005, 05:42 PM
Doesn't the government give you $3000 one off payment for having a kid. Sweet talk Mrs P.

That's all tied up in paying for the house whilst MrsP is on Mat leave. :rolleyes: A machine, good or bad, is no good to me if I don't have a shed to put it in.

Ok, I'll get the bluddy thing. And I'll blame Midge if it's crap. :p

Dan

Grunt
2nd February 2005, 06:23 PM
And I'll blame Midge if it's crap.

Wise move. Blame Midge for everything.

vsquizz
2nd February 2005, 10:40 PM
Ok, I'll get the bluddy thing. And I'll blame Midge if it's crap. :p

Dan
ROFL......:D :D :D

"Buy it!,...No don't...Yes Buy it!.....No No...Yes Buy it"

Whatever you do Dan, just do it well and enjoy.

Cheers

DanP
2nd February 2005, 10:59 PM
Squizz,

I'm not indecisive........am I? :rolleyes:

It's a done deal, the emails been sent, waiting for a phone call to give the CC no. Scorched plastic yet again. Once the clams are paid for, the WW purchases will be seriously curtailed (read stopped dead) for probably a couple of years. Good news is that the council has bought and is demolishing about six very old houses in the next few weeks so I should be able to get a fair supply of 2nd hand timber cheap. That should have the new bench on it's way.

Dan

AlexS
3rd February 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Dan,
See my recent post on BobR's thread. My suggestion is that if possible you get it to run at their workshop before you take delivery so you can check out the drive train. Otherwise, do so at home as soon as you take delivery.

I'm sure that if its OK, you'll get plenty of use out of it.

Cheers,
Alex

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 04:29 PM
Buy it and then let us know how it goes. One way or another you will find out, what better way to find out...