PDA

View Full Version : Life can be cruel

Rowan
2nd February 2005, 10:00 AM
Ahhh how cruel life can be. For the past couple of years I have been power craving burl bowls and have loved it. I used to turn my nose up at any suggestion of turning them as I enjoyed the free form of my finished product. Recently a mate "dumped" his grandfathers lathe with me and I tried it........it was fun. So I did some more and now am addicted.

So I started saving (the loaner is a 1/3hp home made job without chuck, face plate and even without live center) with the aim of buying a "proper" lathe to work on. After plenty of looking round and some valuable advice from reading posts here and finally talking to Jim at "Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies" in drysdale (that should be worth a 1% discount on my next purchase :D ) I decided upon the Teknatool N3000Q.

Yesterday morning I picked up the lathe along with all the extra's and now I have a great new lathe sitting in the open box on the floor of the shed.

The

cruel

irony

is

It will be friday before I get my steel bench frame made up!!!!!!

add a couple of day to put top on, level and bolt it to the floor and set everythign up and it seems like water torture :( :(

Yeah I know I could make it with wood but I have an engineer for a mate so I'll save my wood for more enjoyable works :D and waste his steel for the banch!!

Jim Carroll
2nd February 2005, 07:46 PM
Rowan you still got that big grin on your face.
He's like a big kid at christmas being told to wait for the other kids before he can open his presents.

Dont worry the wait will be worth it.

RETIRED
2nd February 2005, 09:17 PM
Some blokes just don't forward plan. :rolleyes:

smidsy
2nd February 2005, 09:37 PM
You know Rowan if you were a real wood worker you'd have that lathe set up on the bonnet of your car or on the kitchen table :D

Cheers
Paul

rsser
2nd February 2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but plenty of time to be blocking down some turning blanks and sketching out some designs; or searching the web for techniques. Mate, a few days delay in the context of years of obsession?!

HiString
3rd February 2005, 10:46 PM
I have my sights set on the Nova 3000Q, possibly from CWS with the variable speed option but it has to wait until there has been a major reworking of the garage/workshop. First thing is to move a 13' Quintrex out of there and prepared for sale.

Patience is a pain in the butt...............sometimes. :D

:cool:

Rowan
4th February 2005, 12:43 PM
Update time (friday 12.30pm)

today I picked up the table frame, the wood for the top and took the lathe out of the box and sat it on top of table (top unsecured).

Now all I have to do is

mark out base of lathe on wood top for bolt holes
mark holes in steel frame
weld angle iron struts in (to bolt back side of lathe onto) to suit bolt holes in base
drill holes
bolt down lathe
level base to floor(only fractions of a mm in it)
bolt base to floor
assemble lathe fully
plug it in

not come out of shed for 3 days!!!!!

Termite
4th February 2005, 12:59 PM
Update time (friday 12.30pm)

today I picked up the table frame, the wood for the top and took the lathe out of the box and sat it on top of table (top unsecured).

Now all I have to do is

mark out base of lathe on wood top for bolt holes
mark holes in steel frame
weld angle iron struts in (to bolt back side of lathe onto) to suit bolt holes in base
drill holes
bolt down lathe
level base to floor(only fractions of a mm in it)
bolt base to floor
assemble lathe fully
plug it in

not come out of shed for 3 days!!!!!
You forgot to turn it on. :D