PDA

View Full Version : Broken handles.

Bill Wyko
4th February 2012, 09:15 AM
It's my understanding that this flute is one of the original flutes used on gouges. I was talking to a turner today that is90 years old, he said the gouge really didn't come into wide use until the early 80's here in the USA. I was surprised to hear that. Jerry Glaser was one of the first to use the grind back then. I forgot to mention, these things stay razor sharp for a long time too.

I also have a couple Crown Pro PM's but I had one break the handle on a catch and I was surprised that the tool only went about an inch into the handle.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23875803/398206898.jpg

hughie
4th February 2012, 04:48 PM
I also have a couple Crown Pro PM's but I had one break the handle on a catch and I was surprised that the tool only went about an inch into the handle.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23875803/398206898.jpg[/QUOTE]
Damn, not good, not very good at all and not what I would have expected. I personally go for around 3" never under 2" :no:

dr4g0nfly
5th February 2012, 03:38 AM
No idea about your supplier but here in the UK Crown are known for replacing faulty tools without a quibble.

Ask, you might be lucky.

Bill Wyko
5th February 2012, 09:44 AM
I do have to say, I contacted Crown directly and the sent me new a tool with no questions asked. Their customer service was excellent. Only thing I was unhappy with is that my dealer here in Tucson wouldn't replace it here locally. I got the Pro PM from Woodcraft where they didn't replace it. The diamond tool was replaced at Woodworkers Source w/o any trouble. That is a matter of company policy from the retailer and had nothing to do with Crown IMO.

NeilS
5th February 2012, 10:35 AM

Going by the tang (3" long) on the Pro Pm below, Crown's tool designers intend the tang to go deeper into the handle than yours was installed. Maybe they have a QA issue in the assembly line.

Bill Wyko
8th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Mine is about 3 or 4 years old. Maybe there has been a change in the design since then. As far as the tool goes,It was my favorite until I switched to the Glaser 10V. I still like the tool. Now that I have a lathe at work and at home, I keep it at the work location. Don't get much time in at work but at least I have a good tool to use there when I do.:2tsup:

At first I though that the tool had slowly worked its way otwards but when I put the two back together, it was bottomed out in the hole.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23875803/398206885.jpg

Unfortunately I was only in contact with them by e-mail. The phone call would probably have bought me a new tool. Now that I'm hooked on Glaser though, I don't see much of any other brand in my future. They are literally like an extension of my arm. A real joy to use.

rsser
13th February 2012, 03:55 PM
Bummer.

And yes, you look at Dale Nish's Creative Woodturning from way back and it shows bowl hollowing with a scraper. OK with some woods!

There's a new crowd making Glaser copies and there are a range of gouge flute shapes that come close and you'll adjust quickly enough. Take a look at Thompson V gouges or Henry Taylor Superflutes (the latter date back to the 70s if I recall, developed by Child senior).