PDA

View Full Version : Profile / contour gauge recommendations

sjm
5th February 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm after a profile gauge, also known as a contour gauge for making duplicates. I know Carbatec has a plastic one, but the pins look too big for precise shapes. I'd prefer one with fine metal pins. Does any one know if they are available locally? I have seen them on ebay, but I'd prefer to shop locally if possible.

brendan stemp
5th February 2012, 06:10 PM
I have used the Carbatec one quite a bit. The pins are approx 1mm wide. I like it but would agree that for fine work they wouldn't be all that good. Haven't seen the metal ones for some time but haven't been looking. I would've thought they were still readily available.

dr4g0nfly
5th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Look in the Big Shed's tiling area. They are normally used (originally designed) to accurately work out wall/door shapes for transferring to flooring materials. These days they are normally plastic but you still see metal ones occasionally.

tea lady
5th February 2012, 08:49 PM
I have one which I never use! Send me you address and I'll send it to you of you want! :U I acquired it with a bunch of other stuff so no skin off my hose.You will prolly not use it much either! :rolleyes::D

sjm
6th February 2012, 08:30 AM
Awesome, thanks AM, PM sent :)