PDA

View Full Version : Nationalistic feelings?

ryanarcher
3rd February 2005, 04:48 PM
Take this as an expression of my insecurity. There have been a lot of new americans joining the ranks of this close-knit forum lately and I wanted to know what the general feeling was. On one hand i have experienced some very extrordinary kindness from folks here, but have also stumbled across some definately "anti-yank" sentiment as well. so, anonymously let me know what you think.

BTW, i've tried US ww forums, but the solidarity and sense of humor is just not the same. and so i just keep coming back.
-ryan

Termite
3rd February 2005, 04:54 PM
I think if you take a good look at the Yanks that have copped the ****, they well and truly deserved it. This forum is pretty tolerant, I've survived. :eek: :D

ryanarcher
3rd February 2005, 04:58 PM
Arrrg, the poll options dissapeared!

here are the options: (maybe an administrator can help out)

1: Bring on the yanks, the more the merrier!

2 Keep the seppos at home, this is an Aussie forum!

3: People are people no matter where they are from

4: I am totally indifferent

5: The Yanks are cool, but they don't understand Australian Woodies.

6: Ryan, quit stirring the ****!

Sorry 'bout that.

bitingmidge
3rd February 2005, 05:03 PM
Why anonymously? (I'm always in awe of people who can spell anonymous!

My view is that all are welcome in the kitchen as long as they can stand the heat! (not that it's my decision to make!)

"I pledge allegiance to - and wrap myself in - the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American, and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all (except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step)."

P ( who mostly loves Seppos, just not the ones who think they live in a place called home and we live in a place called "international")

:) :) :)

simon c
3rd February 2005, 05:03 PM
Let's not forget that nationalist posts that become offensive are not accepted on this forum.

Having said that, this is what I think:

Australians love stereotypes and love making fun of them. Australians generally love making fun of themselves too. Australians are not so keen on being made fun of by others. I am a dual national English/Australian - ie a pom and and an Aussie (also known as a possie), however a large proportion of the Australians on this site were also originally born overseas.

The anti-yank sentiment is normally aimed at the stereotype rather than the individual. However, if the individual complies with the stereotype then the individual can be treated to the stereotype too.

PS This is a very exceptional forum - do not expect all Australian forums to be the same.

ryanarcher
3rd February 2005, 05:08 PM
was Matt Groening joking? I cant believe anyone would be that obtuse.

Sturdee
3rd February 2005, 05:31 PM
Ryan,

None of your options really describe my feelings to the yanks, cranks or Seppos ( take your pick as to where you fit in these decriptions :D :D :D ).

What usually gets up my nose, and I must be careful as political comments are taboo on this BB, is certain American foreign and economic policies (both past and present) and the attitude of some of your citizens. What we often see may not reflect the majority of citizens but to me reinforces my attitude that you're all Seppos.

So generally I take all you Americans as Seppos until you prove that you are not. So I agree with Simon C when he says the anti-yank sentiment is normally aimed at the stereotype rather than the individual.

However, the individual needs to prove that he is not the stereotype. :D

Peter.

Grunt
3rd February 2005, 05:51 PM
I hate everyone equally.

gatiep
3rd February 2005, 06:41 PM
MHO, I personally welcome people everywhere in life not only here if they share their knowledge with me, or want to acquire some knowledge, however when they go off on an ego trip, are prescriptive and make out that all other people except themselves are fools..................then I take a dim view, say my piece and ignore their posts.

Take care and make yourself a great day, if you don't somebody else will make the great day and you'll loose out by having to put up with a lousy day.

Cya

:)

ozwinner
3rd February 2005, 06:41 PM
Ryan

I take people as they are or as they appere to be, no matter what nationality they are.
If they come across as a knob head, I will treat them as a knob head.
If they come across as a good person with a sense of humour, then I will treat accordingly.

I think most people hate the "Holier than thou" thing, which unfortunatly seems to come across when Americans speak, whether intentional or not.

I had a dealing with someone from NY some years ago when I was buying on Ebay.
I bought some rocks which were described as being of great quality.
When they arrived, they were so bad I chucked them out.
I gave the seller bad feed back as I felt I had been robbed.
When he contacted me, he more or less said I should be gratefull for the cpra he had sent me as the USA fianances the world. :eek:
I had dealings with other Yanks that were wonderfull.

So, its all in the delivery.

Al

bitingmidge
3rd February 2005, 07:00 PM
was Matt Groening joking? I cant believe anyone would be that obtuse.

Ryan, you're going to have to ask him...after all I'm only the messenger! :D:D:D

English comedian Sacha Baron Cohen (who plays the part of Ali Gee) after being "misunderstood" in the US a week or two ago said something to the effect that:

" The greatest irony of all is Americans don't understand Irony"

I'm the first to admit that not everything we do or say in the name of humour is funny, but we laugh anyway. Others are unable to make the culture jump, and go home, sometimes after a monster dummy spit!

(Then it really is funny!)

P
:D :D :D

Rocker
3rd February 2005, 07:20 PM
Ryan,

I have lived four years in America, and my wife is American. Almost all Americans that I have met have been warm, friendly likeable people; but every now and again, you run into one who fulfils the stereotype of the Ugly American, that is, the poorly educated, overly patriotic, hypocritically religious, crass, racist one who looks down upon any non-American as inherently inferior. There have been rare instances of Americans who seemed to fit this stereotype posting on this forum, although by far the majority seem to be decent people whom it would be a pleasure to meet.

I think that, at the moment, Americans are struggling to come to terms with the realization that, although they themselves are convinced they are likeable people, they are less popular in the rest of the world than they feel they deserve. To a large extent, I think this is a result of American foreign policy, which has tended to support obnoxious regimes, so long as they are useful to America, and to make little effort to try to alleviate the problems of third-world countries.

Many Americans who have posted on this forum are clearly gifted woodworkers and obviously have a valuable contribution to make; as far as I and probably most members of the forum are concerned, they are more than welcome here.

As for the term 'Seppo', don't take it too seriously; it is like the term 'Pommie b*stard', which is widely used as an affectionate mode of address by native Aussies to English-born ones like myself. It is not intended as an insult.

Rocker

Wood Borer
3rd February 2005, 09:08 PM
Ryan,

I'm with Ozwinner, idiots can come from anywhere. We have our fair share here in Australia just like every other country.

We have seen some clowns from the US get on this BB to try and show us hicks from downunder which way is up - that's fine if they have something to contribute and go about it in the right way. If they were to assume that we are a bit thick and backward just because we are Aussies then they are just as wrong as Aussies who generalise about other nationalities.

On the other hand we have seen some very clever yanks who have taught me many things and others on this BB judging by their responses.

I welcome and support anyone who can contribute in a positive or humourous way no matter where they come from especially if they can laugh at themselves.

Stay with us, you're OK.

Now aliens from outer space are a completely different matter ...... :D

bitingmidge
3rd February 2005, 09:14 PM
As for the term 'Seppo', don't take it too seriously; it is like the term 'Pommie b*stard', which is widely used as an affectionate mode of address by native Aussies to English-born ones like myself. It is not intended as an insult.

Your only half right here Rocker...who said Pommie bast*rd was meant affectionately?? :D :D

I guess it could be worse Ryan, you could be a VICTORIAN!!

P

simon c
3rd February 2005, 09:19 PM
And we may as well clear something up before you get a bit confused.

When the others refer to Mexicans - it doesn't mean those south of the US border. It means south of the boder Australian style - ie the state of Victoria

outback
3rd February 2005, 09:21 PM
that which we call a duckhead, by any other name would smell as sweet.

Or to put it another way, fulfil a stereotype, and this will quaintly be pointed out.

Rocker
3rd February 2005, 09:33 PM
duckhead? I never knew you were a Kiwi, Outback :D

Rocker

craigb
3rd February 2005, 09:38 PM
For mine , what it comes down to, and this applies to everbody not just Americans, is that you reap what you sow.

For instance, one of the most respected members of this forum is a fella (guy) by the name of Bob Smalser, who apart from teaching most of us a thing or two is a yank.

I accept that sometiimes we Australians can come across as being boorish, but that's just because we are so evenly balanced.

That is, we have a chip on each shoulder. :D

Craig (who's really in the ***** now :eek: )

echnidna
3rd February 2005, 10:01 PM
"That is, we have a chip on each shoulder."

A chip -- Bluddy great lump of wood more likely :D :D :D :D :D
(self included) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

beejay1
3rd February 2005, 10:22 PM
well, ive just been to Norway courtesy of simonc. lovely people. but not very good at giving directions.

I think the foily man was right, take everyone as they come and then label them. it makes no difference what nationality, color, race or religion we are, we all have good and bad qualities and its how we behave towards each other that matters.
beejay1

bitingmidge
3rd February 2005, 10:54 PM
That is, we have a chip on each shoulder. :D

I don't think I have any chips, but I know that I am level-headed.

I dribble out of both corners of my mouth.

P
:eek:

Christopha
3rd February 2005, 11:26 PM
Damned Furriners, can't spell, can't talk English proper, eat queer tucker, what a buncha losers...... go back to bluddy Hobart where yers belong. :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

Seriously, leave nationality, religion, politics etc. out of this place. We all get on fine without all that stuff and that is what makes this a good place and keeps us all mates.

Sturdee
3rd February 2005, 11:45 PM
"That is, we have a chip on each shoulder."

Are they chips or are they french fries? :D

Peter.

vsquizz
4th February 2005, 12:04 AM
Bloody Heck..I can feel a verse of Kumbay Ahh coming in for chrissake...don't make me expose my emotions.

This type of things justa craka me ups.

The wogs I work with reckon there is no way I could be of fair dinkum true blue throughbred deportation stock originating "from the Governors pleasure":D as I do earthworks, stonemasonry and work too hard to be an Aussie. I have been officially renamed Squizzovich. The senior partner in the company is the only other of pure bred convict stock and he is now known as Smithovich:D which is very appropriate because he also owns a vegie shop.

I wind the boys up all day, calling them bad speaking migrants and lamenting that I should get paid more for having to do translations and put up with Croation coffee and Slav jokes. The reply I get is something along the lines of "which would you rather, skilled migrants or criminals"..:D it a crack up really but the point is its one of those things about Australia, that sometimes the yanks don't get.

Merry Christmas and good lucks to yours Families:D

bsrlee
4th February 2005, 01:13 AM
I know a very well educated & well travelled citizen of the US of A - he claims to have only met one Australian he didn't like - turned out she was born & dragged up somewhere in the 'South' of the USofA & had married an Australian (poor SoB) - she was trying to tell him and his travelling companions off for something or other in an airport transit lounge - I think it was because they were 'Americans'.

Of course I know a small & select number of 'Australians' that I would not even urinate on if they were on fire. In fact I wouldn't throw petrol either, as it would speed their end.

Me? Let a grudge die? I'll paraphrase a popular US SF author & say I'll have them stuffed & mounted.

RETIRED
4th February 2005, 01:56 AM
Fixed! :D

ryanarcher
4th February 2005, 02:02 AM
Thanks !

Can't argue with the foreign policy thing. I wished i was Canadian after our president got reelected. Anyway, this thread is kinda fun as long as no one takes it too seriously.
-Ryan

silentC
4th February 2005, 08:49 AM
I think Roy and HG summed it up best during the Olympics in Sydney.

Americans? Individually, we love 'em.... But en masse? Can't stand the bastards!!

;)

namtrak
4th February 2005, 09:18 AM
What's a country to do? If we can't poke fun at the Hystericans, then who can we poke fun at? I mean the sheep lovers....ooops farmers from across the pond have been done to death and the whinging poms are now starting to win rugby games so who else is left?

Rhino, you shouldn't take any Australian too seriously. This is the country that at their closing ceremony for THEIR olympic games wheeled out a giant thong carrying a girl wearing a thong!! Who could take a country like that seriously!!

goat
4th February 2005, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE]Seriously, leave nationality, religion, politics etc. out of this place. We all get on fine without all that stuff and that is what makes this a good place and keeps us all mates.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

well said mate, a greenie for you (not the one off the end of my finger either)
just no more rubbishing us 2 heads:p :p

Zed
4th February 2005, 09:37 AM
I love orstralya! come on over, the old sepp adage of send us your poor and starving etc - well thats us now - at least the ones who dont end up in detention centres!!!! :D

some of my best mates are sepps - they are so easy to take the p!ss out of - I love it and them. lets not take a policy of any sitting govt as a indicator of what the people who live there are like. we had a washing machine repairman over the other day - an iranian - one of the nicest polite men I've ever met, didnt even rip me off! - truely. humble too - more like him is what we want!

3 of my dearest wishes is to go to sepp-land and see a space shuttle launch and yell WHOOOOOHOO!!!! with all the nerds when they light the candle , go to a black church and watch 'em sing halleuejah amen! in thier godbothering voices and visit the smithsonian, mt mckinley & grandcanyon. I think most peoples perception of seps is arnold shwratzenegger, archie bunker and dubbya. chr!st! in a country of 260mill they cant all be redneck ba@tards!

please see my autosignature for more on this subject.

silentC
4th February 2005, 09:40 AM
Actually, the only time I've ever read a truly rascist post on this forum, it was posted by a yank.

Wongo
4th February 2005, 10:05 AM
My wife’s grandmother, was 87, used to say “It doesn’t matter where you come from...” and before she could finish her sentence. I jumped in and added “… as long as you are not Chinese, Asian, African, European and American.”

Mrs Wilcox was right. It doesn’t really matter. :)

Zed
4th February 2005, 10:21 AM
Actually, the only time I've ever read a truly rascist post on this forum, it was posted by a yank.

wasnt that "sailing american" against the mexican who wanted to come over here ? Excellent example of "the ugly american". as far as i'm concerned SA can stay where ever he is..... no need for him to visit! (but thats just my opinion...)

bitingmidge
4th February 2005, 10:25 AM
I hate it when I don't have enough green dots to sling the monkey's way!!

P :D

Zed
4th February 2005, 10:45 AM
I hate it when I don't have enough green dots to sling the monkey's way!!

P :D

Aww! shucks Midge... i lourve you to.... (just save em up and give 'em later...)

Wongo
4th February 2005, 11:15 AM
It reminds me a movie called “A time to kill”. Samuel Lee Jackson said to his lawyer. “Do you see me as a man or do you see me a black man?” and I was inspired.

Wood Borer
4th February 2005, 11:22 AM
Everybody has their own views on life however we seem to be judged by the image and policies of our governments. :mad:

Some governments become a bit confused and say that anyone who thinks differently to them is anti the country that they are currently governing. It happens everywhere and it indicates the people in power think everyone else is as foolish as themselves.

I would prefer to be labelled Anti Australian by a simple minded Prime Minister than to compromise my morals and views. In other words, I don’t blindly follow a government’s policies just because they wave an Australian flag and play some tear jerker anthem.

I also don’t expect people from overseas to assume I wholeheartedly agree with everything an Australian Government represents.

ozwinner
4th February 2005, 12:38 PM
wave an Australian flag and play some tear jerker anthem.

You must of heard a different anthem to the one I have heard, Gurt by sea indeed!!
I dont even know any Gurts.

Al :D

bitingmidge
4th February 2005, 01:04 PM
It reminds me a movie called “A time to kill”. Samuel Lee Jackson said to his lawyer. “Do you see me as a man or do you see me a black man?” and I was inspired.

But then I think of Blazing Saddles, when the Sherrif (Sydney Poitier) was holding a prisoner in front of an angry lynch mob.

He held the gun to his own head, and said "one more step and the nigger cops it!"

(I'll bet that's edited out of the copies you get at the video shop these days.)

P (who forgot the question :confused: )

Wood Borer
4th February 2005, 01:09 PM
Al,

The one I was thinking about is the one that not many people know the words. You could be right, I don’t know the words to it myself.

Can you sing it and put it on the BB for me so we know we’re talking about the same song. :eek:

craigb
4th February 2005, 01:10 PM
I read the other day that one of the few films that they won't show on TV in the UK is The Dambusters because one of the characters' (Barnes Wallace maybe?) dog's name was Nigger.

The dog in question was a black Labrador I think.

I have no idea if this is true or not. Maybe one of our UK members can verify it.

Craig (who's wandered off topic again :o )

simon c
4th February 2005, 01:37 PM
But then I think of Blazing Saddles, when the Sherrif (Sydney Poitier) was holding a prisoner in front of an angry lynch mob.

It was actualyy Cleavon Little (that well known actor) and nigger hasn't been removed.

simon c
4th February 2005, 01:44 PM
I read the other day that one of the few films that they won't show on TV in the UK is The Dambusters because one of the characters' (Barnes Wallace maybe?) dog's name was Nigger.

The dog in question was a black Labrador I think.

I have no idea if this is true or not. Maybe one of our UK members can verify it.

Craig (who's wandered off topic again :o )

Yes there was a dog called Nigger. At the time, Nigger wasn't really an offensive word in the UK as it was before the immigation from the Caribbean caused racial bad feeling.

Whether this is why the film is not shown, I don't know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046889/trivia

simon c
4th February 2005, 01:49 PM

That is an interesting decision.

The obvious answer is that for all men to be trully equal, then you should see him as a man and not as a black man.

But there is the other argument that says you should see him as a black man - but there isn't anything wrong with that. Ie your colour or your religion or your nationality makes you different but not any better or worse.

Simon

Zed
4th February 2005, 02:47 PM
nigger was the black labrador belonging to the commanding office of 617 squadron wing commander Guy Gibson, the dog was killed in a car accident the night before the dams raid and gibson asked that the word nigger be used as the trasmission signal indicating that the Monhne dam on the ruhr had been successfully breached (which it subsequentially was), he also asked that nigger be buried at midnight on the night of the raid on the grounds that that was the apporx time that he might be getting shot down and they woudl enter the earth together (so to speak)

barnes wallace didnt have a pet mentioned - although he had a pet test pilot called "mutt"

i musta readthe book a hundered times as a kid.

here endeth the lesson.

ryanarcher
4th February 2005, 03:38 PM
wasnt that "sailing american" against the mexican who wanted to come over here ? Excellent example of "the ugly american". as far as i'm concerned SA can stay where ever he is..... no need for him to visit! (but thats just my opinion...)

Is SA (i never saw what he wrote) an "ugly American" or just an "Ugly person"? do you see a black man or a man?

-Ryan
(who refuses to quit stirring :D )

ryanarcher
4th February 2005, 03:57 PM
I'm glad I started this thread. It drives home the point that citizens of the us have a lot of ground to make up the world over. and the only way we can do this is individually.

I think that if any of you traveled to the US (or US forums) you would find a host of people that would welcome you with open arms and warm smiles. I gather this is quite opposite of "the stereotype"? My sister almost married an australian fitness coach. I was proud to know him, but had no thoughts of nationality. He was simply an awesome guy with a cool accent.

Is this post an example of American Egotism? I honestly believe it to be the truth. Sometimes it is the smallest cultural differences that create the biggest rifts.

We have a saying that "the squeeky wheel gets the grease". This is so true, and is why (i think) that folks like "Joe" and "matt groening" are whom the conclusions are drawn from.

even if this thread is only good for venting, keep it going. I'd rather have it out in the open, than muttered under one's breath.

Zed
4th February 2005, 03:59 PM
Is SA (i never saw what he wrote) an "ugly American" or just an "Ugly person"? do you see a black man or a man?

-Ryan

shame really under the ani-mexicanism he coulda offered a lot to the forum with his experience...

Sturdee
4th February 2005, 05:33 PM
I'm glad I started this thread. It drives home the point that citizens of the US have a lot of ground to make up the world over. and the only way we can do this is individually.

Hear, Hear, a sensible american.

I think that if any of you traveled to the US you would find a host of people that would welcome you with open arms and warm smiles.

I have been there and yes the natives of LA and Vegas were very friendly it is just that others spoil it for them.

I'd rather have it out in the open, than muttered under one's breath.

Don't you worry about that I'll let you know what I think.

Peter.

ernknot
4th February 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Everybody,
Bigotry does not become us, nor does any hint of racism or ethenscitiy and gender discrimination.
Name calling or type branding is the first sign of inadequacy.

ozwinner
4th February 2005, 08:42 PM
Hey.......if hes got a biggertree, I want some.....

Al ;)

journeyman Mick
4th February 2005, 09:10 PM

-Ryan

He's a loud ugly person who happens to be an American. He hasn't been around (AFAIK) for a few days now, ever since I disagreed with his welding expertise. From memory I disagreed with him (I can be very disagreeable ;) ) about a year ago about American woodworking machinery being the best and he absented himself for almost a year. Hmm, maybe I'll keep disagreeing with him :D ;)

I've got some very good friends who are Americans, and I have American family (he's an architect, but not a contractor or tool and die maker :p ). I've also met some truly abrasive and obnoxious Americans, but they're not qualities exclusive to Americans. On the whole, like the others say, I don't think it makes a bit of difference what a person is, what's important is who and how a person is.

Possibly there is a bit of a cultural cringe in Australia regarding Americans. They have the dominant culture and economy and much of our society (and many others) is being flavoured by this. There's probably also some on this forum (not me, just a little bit before my time) who can remember when the US servicemen were "overpaid, oversexed and over here". There was, I gather some ill will between our boys and theirs when on rec leave in Sydney.

Ryan, seeing you're such a stirrer I reckon we should make you an honorary Australian, that is if you're not stirring and you're not really an Aussie anyway who's just stirring ;)

Mick, who has a pretty multicultural collection of friends and family and who is pretty multicultural himself. :)

AlexS
4th February 2005, 10:01 PM
There was, I gather some ill will between our boys and theirs when on rec leave in Sydney.

I think it was the battle of Brisbane you're referring to Mick. I remember when I was a little kid, my dad showing me the statue he tried to burrow under when a yank fired off a few shots.

As usual, the rest of your post is full of commonsense.

ryanarcher
5th February 2005, 03:24 PM
shame really under the ani-mexicanism he coulda offered a lot to the forum with his experience...

How is Anti-mexicanism any different than Anti-Americanism? I'm sure that SA thinks:

"such and such Mexican is, was, and probably shall remain a lazy, greasy, no-good wet-back.

shame 'cause he was a hard worker"

I didn't choose to be american just as a black man does not chose to be black. I do choose however to be a loving husband and father. to have a strong work ethic. to make the best furniture I can. to have the chip on my shoulder balanced very precariously. Are these then not the atributes upon which one should be judged?

If we continue to take the "guilty until proven innocent" mentality (or if you like the "you must prove the stereotype false" mentality) then we are no better than teenage punks that fight other teenage punks simply because they are from another school (although that was kinda fun).

it's time we all grow up and realise that people are people no matter where they are from.

there it is. I've had my say. now let loose boys. I never would have started this thread if i was too much of a coward to listen to the replies...or say my say.

-ryan (a union firefighter who, as such, wears a distinctly hard hat, and has an american flag in the driveway)

P.S. SWMBO is standing behind me saying "well i think Bush has made us all out to be a bunch of jerks." once again she has proved herself to be the succinct one in the family. ;)

Grunt
5th February 2005, 03:29 PM
well i think Bush has made us all out to be a bunch of jerks.

Yup. Sad but true.

ryanarcher
5th February 2005, 03:29 PM
Ryan, seeing you're such a stirrer I reckon we should make you an honorary Australian, that is if you're not stirring and you're not really an Aussie anyway who's just stirring ;)

Mick, who has a pretty multicultural collection of friends and family and who is pretty multicultural himself. :)

An honorary Australian? I am the one who would be very much honored! Thanks for the sentiments, and discussion. :)

-Ryan

Sturdee
5th February 2005, 04:33 PM
An honorary Australian? I am the one who would be very much honored! Thanks for the sentiments, and discussion. :)

-Ryan

Welcome mate, but now I can't call you a seppo anymore. :D :D :D

Peter.

Wood Borer
5th February 2005, 04:34 PM

Mick,

I'll second that we make Ryan an hononary Aussie, his attitude and thinking qualifies him.

DanP
5th February 2005, 05:10 PM
Welcome mate, but now I can't call you a seppo anymore. :D :D :D

Peter.

Yeah we can. :D :p :p

Dan

outback
5th February 2005, 05:55 PM
Ryan's a Seppo.

Yeh you were right Dan.

ryanarcher
5th February 2005, 06:25 PM
I love orstralya! come on over, the old sepp adage of send us your poor and starving etc - well thats us now - at least the ones who dont end up in detention centres!!!! :D

some of my best mates are sepps - they are so easy to take the p!ss out of - I love it and them. lets not take a policy of any sitting govt as a indicator of what the people who live there are like. we had a washing machine repairman over the other day - an iranian - one of the nicest polite men I've ever met, didnt even rip me off! - truely. humble too - more like him is what we want!

3 of my dearest wishes is to go to sepp-land and see a space shuttle launch and yell WHOOOOOHOO!!!! with all the nerds when they light the candle , go to a black church and watch 'em sing halleuejah amen! in thier godbothering voices and visit the smithsonian, mt mckinley & grandcanyon. I think most peoples perception of seps is arnold shwratzenegger, archie bunker and dubbya. chr!st! in a country of 260mill they cant all be redneck ba@tards!

please see my autosignature for more on this subject.

zed,

if you ever make it over, you've got a place to stay and I'll take you to Canyonlands NP. 100 times more spectacular than the grand canyon.
-Ryan

Zed
5th February 2005, 06:45 PM
no problemo. i'll let you know if and when.

ozwinner
5th February 2005, 06:49 PM
So Zed.

It looks like we are keeping this one?? :rolleyes: :D

Al :cool:

ozwinner
5th February 2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, almost forgot.
Is this the bit where we all hold hands and sing that freekin stupid song??

Al :p

Grunt
5th February 2005, 07:38 PM

Al

Zed hardly needs an excuse.

bitingmidge
5th February 2005, 08:29 PM
and has an american flag in the driveway

Now there's the rub...patriotism is something you blokes are much better at than us, but in your driveway is exactly the right place to be flying your flag, not in someone elses country, or on every corner of one's personal website!!

So another tick to you!

No offence to you Ryan, but the flagwaving can get a bit over the top... it's one of those consenting adults in private things!!

Cheers,

P

outback
5th February 2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah, almost forgot.

Mamma Mia, here I go again, my my how could I resist ya.

craigb
5th February 2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah, almost forgot.

Wattsa madder you?
Gotta no respect?
Why you looka so sad
It'sa not so bad
It's a nica place
Ah ...

RETIRED
6th February 2005, 03:03 AM
The best part of bulletin boards is that you can't see who you are replying to.

You don't know what colour the person is. Their religious or political pursuasion doesn' matter a damn.

I hope this one stays that way and unless they get radical all are welcome here.

I had a friend once that was blind and he said the best part of being blind was that all people were only voices and he could treat all equally unless someone insulted him.

As in all nationalities there are some right mongrels. Black, yellow, green or purple.

ryanarcher
6th February 2005, 04:38 AM
No offence to you Ryan, but the flagwaving can get a bit over the top... it's one of those consenting adults in private things!!

Cheers,

P

Totally understandable :cool:

-ryan

Bob Willson
6th February 2005, 11:52 AM
I hate it when I don't have enough green dots to sling the monkey's way!!! :D

S'all right. I gave him one from you. :)

dazzler
7th February 2005, 01:07 AM
I love americans

You just have to take the p*ss out of them and then there great. When I was in East Timor I worked with a few and once they understood our humour (humor) life was great.

We had a big old ex army ex cop give a pre deployment talk and introduced himself by saying "My name is CARPENTER" to which an aussie said "CARPENTER, is that it" and he said 'Yes" and the aussie replied "what like SHER" with room full of aussies rolling on the ground.

later I was talking on the radio to a new yorker about 4 hrs drive away at HQ and said to him

" we are coming down in the arvo in the rover and will need to swap it for the ute so we can pick up the fridge and can you get a tarp to cover it with' I tried explaining it to him three times and then he said "okay see you then"

Drove the 4 hrs and walked into his office and he said "what are you doing here?"

I said"I told you on the radio"

He said" Man I tried to work out what you said but god damn I dont understand a word you blokes say so I just say "yes"

God I love yanks! (except the loonies in power)

cheers

dazzller

DanP
7th February 2005, 01:21 AM
I think most peoples perception of seps is arnold shwratzenegger...

Isn't he Austrian? :rolleyes: :p :p :p

Dan

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 04:51 PM
Why stop knowledge, you are only limiting yourself. Every person who contriutes to this forum increases the knowledge base of its members - remember - knowledge is power!

MajorPanic
23rd March 2005, 10:13 PM
I'm afraid to say Ryan that it's too late now....... YOU ARE DOOMED!!

Somewhere along the family line you had an Aussie in the mix ;)
You seem to be abnormal as the rest of us!! :D

Aussies love to take the urine out of anybody who is around & if there is nobody else around, we hook in on ourselves! :D
We love to take the pis* & pick handles out of EVERYONE & most nationalities (a) don't like it at all, &/or (b) become agressive/agitated. If the recipient doesn't take too much offence & returns in kind, respect is generated & the person is accepted.
This Aussie behaviour has been ingrained into the Aussie psyche since the birth of our nation.
Aussies HATE any class society (courtesy of a penal history & England) We tend to give someone some stick to see how they react! ;)

Australia is one of the most multi-cultural societies around (21million & 97% are of imported origin) & we like to get on with everybody (it makes life a lot easier) We tend not to take ourselves or life too seriously. We are just testing to see what sort of reaction we'll get. Other nationalities have misread this as a less intelligent/educated culture usually to their detriment but from the reaction an Aussie will form an opinion. :rolleyes:
If someone has you called a 'mate' you should concider it as having a brother & if you are refered to as a 'best mate' it's as if you have the same feelings as a twin. "Mateship" has a VERY sepcial meaning in Australia which goes back to diggers in W.W.I

So ends my view of basic Aussie psychology 101
Or I've got me head up me ar*e & I'll soon be told :D ;)

Cliff Rogers
23rd March 2005, 10:26 PM
... - remember - knowledge is power!
I KNEW THAT...... I think....

I din't vote, I would have picked No 2 but it didn't have a Colon (think about it....) :rolleyes:

echnidna
23rd March 2005, 11:53 PM
I KNEW THAT...... I think....

I din't vote, I would have picked No 2 but it didn't have a Colon (think about it....) :rolleyes:

that's ok Cliff Major Panic's done that for you, in his own words .....
"head up me ar*e & I'll soon be told" so you can see he is personally studying his own colon. :D :D :D

ryanarcher
24th March 2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks Major! However, I just took a p1ss so you'll have to wait a couple of hours before you take some more out. ;)
Steadfast,
-Ryan