PDA

View Full Version : flowering cherry

scatterbrain
3rd February 2005, 09:29 PM
gday,
I've got a thick (tapers from 160 to 130mm over about 2m) straight branch of flowering cherry and am not realy sure what to do with it.

I thought i could turn it (i have use of a lathe at school) but i dont know anything about the properties of the wood (and not much more about turning). Has anyone turned flowering cherry and if so what products would you sugest? replys apreciated :)

Ianab
3rd February 2005, 10:16 PM
Well you could cut some small bowl blanks from it, and use them to learn basic woodturning.

1st thing to remember is that if the pith of a log is in a piece of wood it will probably split open as it dries. So you cant just turn your piece of log down as it is.
To make bowl blanks, cut off a section the same length as the dia of your log. (160cm) . Then cut it into 2 lengthwise, make 2 cuts about 10mm apart, so the pith of the log is discarded. You now have 2 half logs, the same length and width. Draw a circle on the flat face and cut this out with a bandsaw. Now it's starting to look like a 150 mm bowl right?

If you look at post #9 on this page it shows how to cut large bowl blanks using a bandsawmill. You could do the same thing with a workshop bandsaw with your smaller wood.
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3126.0

I dont know much about the properties of those flowering cherries, I dont think the wood has the same red colour as the American cherry, but it should still be usefull

Cheers

Ian

scatterbrain
3rd February 2005, 11:34 PM
thanks. will try that on the w/e :)

rsser
5th February 2005, 06:14 AM
It's a pinky/beige colour, fine grain, medium density; terrific to turn. You're in luck :)

RETIRED
5th February 2005, 11:48 AM
Well you could cut some small bowl blanks from it, and use them to learn basic woodturning.

1st thing to remember is that if the pith of a log is in a piece of wood it will probably split open as it dries. So you cant just turn your piece of log down as it is.
To make bowl blanks, cut off a section the same length as the dia of your log. (160cm) . Then cut it into 2 lengthwise, make 2 cuts about 10mm apart, so the pith of the log is discarded. You now have 2 half logs, the same length and width. Draw a circle on the flat face and cut this out with a bandsaw. Now it's starting to look like a 150 mm bowl right?

If you look at post #9 on this page it shows how to cut large bowl blanks using a bandsawmill. You could do the same thing with a workshop bandsaw with your smaller wood.
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3126.0

I dont know much about the properties of those flowering cherries, I dont think the wood has the same red colour as the American cherry, but it should still be usefull

Cheers

Ian
I wouldn't worry about making 2 cuts as the heart can run off. Cut it down the middle and turn the heart out.

rsser
5th February 2005, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about making 2 cuts as the heart can run off. Cut it down the middle and turn the heart out.

Yep, but do it asap after cutting it.

Chesand
5th February 2005, 01:37 PM
When I did a turning course a few years ago the instructor said to never knock back wood from fruit trees as most is suitable for turning

Ianab
5th February 2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, that will work as well, but it you are going to store the blanks for any period of time you want to cut the pith right off your blocks. You dont want that pith in the block when it starts to dry. I suggested only taking a small amount as his 'log' is fairly small and having pieces only 16cm long it will be easy enough to judge where the pith is going.

Cheers

Ian

scatterbrain
5th February 2005, 04:32 PM
would you guys recomend cutting it into blanks and storing it or waiting until i want to turn it and cutting it then? Its just that i probably wont be able to turn it for a while as ill have to use the school lathe and its not for school. Its currently sitting raised off the ground with the ends painted with that black tar sealer stuff.

rsser
5th February 2005, 05:23 PM
Cut it into blanks and seal the end grain with melted parafin wax or get some end grain sealer at $10 a can from the Woodsmith, Factory 1, 35 Lusher Road, CROYDON. That will give you a start on controlled drying and tell you what the timber looks like inside.

Sometimes there can be unpleasant surprises when you open a log up.