PDA

View Full Version : Nova stuff

nz_carver
12th February 2012, 09:53 AM
Hey all I pick up my new baby next Sunday
Just thinking is there anyone that have aftermarket upgrades
Ie outrigger cast iron legs and what do you think of them?

Was ment to get my lathe about 2 weeks back but dam rain stopped that

rsser
12th February 2012, 12:04 PM
Not up on the latest but on my old DVR XP the factory outrigger bolted to the lathe and had no legs.

If you have a modest chuck mounted it doesn't allow much depth of hollowing with a bowl and if that's a prob. then look at a 3rd party freestanding outrigger or look at fabricating some extension plates. The downside with a freestanding job is the legs interfere with your feet.

HTH

Scott
12th February 2012, 12:06 PM
I've got the 1624/44, great lathe once it's set up right. As far as accessories, definitely the Supernova2 Chuck. The chuck comes with 50mm Jaws however you'll get frustrated with those so I'd also get a set of the 100 or 125mm. Having bought the outrigger, I use this all the time. A good investment :)

nz_carver
12th February 2012, 12:31 PM
1624/44 is my new baby
When u say set up rite what do you mean?

Scott
12th February 2012, 01:09 PM
1624/44 is my new baby
When u say set up rite what do you mean?

Ok, one thing that bothered me was the alignment of the pulleys, make sure they are aligned. Secondly DONT over tighten the tension of the belt. If the belt is too tight then you will go through belts like nobody's business (been there, done that). Secondly, over tensioning the belt will shift the head pulley down the shaft and shred more belts. In the end (and you will get what I mean when you set it up) I used some red loctite in the grub screw which keeps the head pulley in it's place and then put a second grub screw behind it with loctite as well.

Nearly forgot... when you align the pulleys don't use the head pulley to align the motor pulley. Secure the head pulley first (as above) then align the motor pulley using the nut which holds the motor.

The rest is easy :)

PM me if you want help.

Sawdust Maker
12th February 2012, 07:55 PM
Careful

I might visit and "borrow" whatever isn't nailed down ... should fit my monster :D

actually we should talk about outriggers - I reckon it wouldn't be hard to make or get something made similar to the Vicmarc.

I've got the cast iron legs - they make it solid. But I think you could do just as well with a solid hardwood, purpose built bench for it. I've seen some plans somewhere for one ...

Wizened of Oz
12th February 2012, 11:02 PM
My DVR bought second-hand came with legs and outrigger. Now the legs are fine, heavy and make the lathe stable, but you could just as well build a solid bench to mount the machine.
The outrigger is another story. Absolutely awful in my opinion. It's construction is like something from the 19th century. (I started my working life in Qld Railways in 1954 so I have seen a few relics from the 19th century). And, as pointed out above, it has very little reach so there is not much you can achieve with it if you do wrestle with its crudeness.

nz_carver
12th February 2012, 11:48 PM
Legs and outrigger will my my play money spent at the wood show this yr I think
Saying that who stocks them?????

Ross
13th February 2012, 01:26 PM
Legs and outrigger will my my play money spent at the wood show this yr I think
Saying that who stocks them?????

Trent, Carbatec, Carolls, etc you know the usual suspects.
I have the outrigger and the std legs and am very happywith them.
Ross