PDA

View Full Version : Aussie timber similar to madrone burl?

yarrabilly
18th February 2012, 06:07 PM
Hello all,

Any ideas on which local timbers might have similar properties to madrone burl if turned green? Specifically, I'm after something that will move as dramatically as madrone seems to. See here for an example: Bill Luce - Entropy (http://www.billluce.com/entropy_front.html)

The only one I've come across that might be similar is tassie myrtle burl. Any thoughts?

Thanks

john

dr4g0nfly
19th February 2012, 04:06 AM
Anything that is very (very) wet. or you won't get the movement in it as it dries.

robo hippy
19th February 2012, 05:05 AM
I read in Fine Woodworking some months back that Madrone has a way higher water content than most other woods, some thing in the 90% range compared to 60 to 70% in woods like cherry. Only thing I have seen that moves almost as much is Sycamore/London Plane. The thing with Madrone though is that the warping is never predictable as in warping is never symmetrical. Odd shapes like triangles, rectangles, up and down, etc. Most of the Sycamore is a consistent oval.

Don't know if that helps or not.

robo hippy

NeilS
19th February 2012, 08:48 AM
The tree that had the most radial:axial shrinkage for me was Irish Strawberry (Arbutus unedo). Not sure if it has burls.

robo hippy
19th February 2012, 09:06 AM
Well, I googled the Madrone, and it is Arbutus Menziesii, and one common name is Strawberry tree, which I had not heard. My favorite wood.

robo hippy

hughie
19th February 2012, 10:33 AM
The only one I've come across that might be similar is tassie myrtle burl. Any thoughts?

john,
dunno if myrtle is related but it sure moves allot and it does have burl. I have turned a fair bit. Its a soft wood, easy to turn. I lost some blanks due to bad splitting [ only good for pen stock :C ]
I reckon it would come real close with the movement, be worth a try.

yarrabilly
19th February 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Have to see if I can get my hands on some nice wet myrtle...

Given that the amount of water retained is clearly a key to dramatic movement when drying, maybe a Bottle Tree ( Brachychiton rupestris ) might be the go. That's only aussie tree that springs to mind when thinking about lots of retained moisture. No idea where to go for one of those though. Wonder if anyone's tried it?

john

HSS
19th February 2012, 03:57 PM
Try pepper tree. I've been turning a fair bit of it lately. It's REALLY wet and moves heaps. Lots of birdseye going on inside as well, particularly near the bark. The birdseye 'pops' as it dries, leaving holes and the surrounding wood sinks in around the birdseye. There's lots of creepy crawlies in the bark though so don't keep it hanging around inside the workshop for too long. It microwaves ok and is easy to chainsaw and bandsaw. It shouldn't be too hard to find, it's in most creeks. Give it a bash.

TTIT
19th February 2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Have to see if I can get my hands on some nice wet myrtle...

Given that the amount of water retained is clearly a key to dramatic movement when drying, maybe a Bottle Tree ( Brachychiton rupestris ) might be the go. That's only aussie tree that springs to mind when thinking about lots of retained moisture. No idea where to go for one of those though. Wonder if anyone's tried it?

johnBottle tree is pulpier (if that's a word!!!) than Kurrajong (brachychiton poulneus) (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/kurrajong.htm) which I've had a go at. While it shrinks enormously while drying, it doesn't change shape much so I doubt it would produce the reuults you're after. Bottle tree just dissolves away into slush - can't imagine turning it at all :no:

HSS
20th February 2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry, I missed the bit about you wanting an 'Aussie' timber. I was thinking you just wanted something readily available here.

robo hippy
20th February 2012, 04:49 AM
Harvesting in the wet season would help as well.

robo hippy

yarrabilly
20th February 2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Much appreciated.

john

Picko
20th February 2012, 09:17 AM
John

I havn't seen anything move as much as freshly cut eucalyptus nicoli. Don't stop for a cuppa until your finished.

This was turned two days after it was cut.

Picko

198848 198849

NeilS
20th February 2012, 10:16 AM
.......eucalyptus nicholii

198848 198849

Yep, that one takes the cake.

Can't beat that!

yarrabilly
20th February 2012, 12:18 PM
I havn't seen anything move as much as freshly cut eucalyptus nicoli. Don't stop for a cuppa until your finished.

That looks like a winner. Thanks Picko.

john

TTIT
20th February 2012, 04:53 PM
That looks like a winner. Thanks Picko.

johnJust remembered one that does distort like that Madrone piece or possibly more so but I don't know if it grows around your way - Peach Bush (ehretia membranifolia). (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/peachbush.htm) You won't get huge diameters from it but you will get some great distortion!

tea lady
20th February 2012, 04:56 PM
John

Picko

198848 198849:2tsup: Terrific> Might have to find some of that myself.:U

yarrabilly
21st February 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks TTIT. Will see if I can find some.

john