PDA

View Full Version : Peppercorn tree

checkerflight
21st February 2012, 07:05 PM
hey turners, are peppercorn trees anygood for turning , i am not into this part of woodworking but a big one got blown down at greenmount near toowoomba only 1 week ago it woud have a girth of about i.2 mtr a lot of good wood if it is good wood for turning. thought someone on the downs might be interested if they could use it all free of course . cheers peter (:2tsup:grandad)

issatree
21st February 2012, 08:30 PM
Hi Checkerflight,
One of the nicest Woods around, when Dry of Course.
There are more Browns through that Tree than you can imagine .
Have a closer, & there should be quite a few Burls there as well.
They are well worth going after. May split a bit but I think there are ways to stop that.

jimbur
22nd February 2012, 06:44 PM
Many years ago before I was into turning myself I bought my mother a peppercorn bowl. It's a beautiful wood for turning.
Cheers,
Jim

Sawdust Maker
22nd February 2012, 10:35 PM
I've only seen little bits of pepper tree
but that has been extremely nice wood

if you get some send me a big bit please :wink:

checkerflight
23rd February 2012, 12:44 PM
hello every body, the peppercorn is blown over but is still connected so to speak but is green and so still living it is a fairly lge tree the owner has to get rid of it but i have told her to just leave for awhile until i can find someone that wants it. i am not into turning in anyway but other forms of woodwork. if it can be used by someone then i will get a chainsaw or someone can cut it himself they are quite welcome to it for free. i just hate wasting timber and i just looked at it and thought it mat be good for turning. how would i go about cutting it up and storing for some one. how big SHOULD I MAKE THE PCS. cheers peter flack pm me your no and i will call if you are serious :2tsup:

turnerted
23rd February 2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know how you link it, but if you have a look at my post under "peppercorn bowl"
on14/2/11, you can see what it looks like .
Ted

Sawdust Maker
24th February 2012, 09:15 PM
I don't know how you link it, but if you have a look at my post under "peppercorn bowl"
on14/2/11, you can see what it looks like .
Ted

I knew I'd seen some
Try this link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/peppercorn-tree-bowl-131097/) to Ted's bowl

Christos
25th February 2012, 12:59 PM
I think a small piece would be interesting to play with. Just not sure how to get it to Sydney from Condong.

Maybe someone more local can get involved?

rsser
28th February 2012, 11:26 AM
CF, for bowl blanks the rule of thumb is to cut it into lengths that are a bit longer than the diameter without bark. Then cut the pith out.

Course for this beast you'll need a big CS or a medium one with chain and bar in very good nick and some accurate cutting.

Or maybe get in touch with the local WW club; they may have some turners ready to snaffle it.

Only bit I've turned had great figure but was a sod to dry.