PDA

View Full Version : Baby Rattles.

issatree
24th February 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi to You All,
I have to make 3 Baby Rattles. They will have 3 Captured Rings, & both ends can be either Sucked on or to Chew on.
The Finish is made up of Soybean Oil & Beeswax, therefore it is Non Toxic. Neil's Food Safe is good too, & Baby Oil as well.
The Question is, of which Wood would YOU use.
I have made numerous Rattles in the past, & mainly used Cypress.
Now, I don't mean that Oily Murray Pine, but the Cypress I use is from around The Geelong, Vic. Area, in other words Found Timber. By using Cypress, the Rattle has a nice ring to it, when shaken.
I would be interested to know what most of you use.

tea lady
24th February 2012, 07:40 PM
Reckon normal raddiatta would taste best! Or maybe beech!:shrug:

Maybe you should go round and suck some.:D

TTIT
24th February 2012, 10:24 PM
Kauri pine :2tsup: If it's neutral enough to brew aussie beer in it should be perfect for the little tackers to break their choppers in with :;

powderpost
24th February 2012, 10:32 PM
I have used radiata pine for my kids and grand kids, without any finish at all. Haven't lost a kid yet.. :) :2tsup:
Jim

tea lady
25th February 2012, 09:24 AM
Kauri pine :2tsup: If it's neutral enough to brew aussie beer in it should be perfect for the little tackers to break their choppers in with :;:think: Maybe AFTER is been use to brew beer would work quite well. :D:rolleyes: Maybe for grown up rattles. :UFunny fathers day gifts maybe! :rofl:

Tim the Timber Turner
25th February 2012, 07:32 PM
I prefer Ash for baby rattles.

It's stronger than Pinus Twistas.

Less chance of baby breaking the rings by whacking it on something.

Half a broken ring won't fit down a baby's throat.:o

If your not real keen on the baby you could try Oleander!!!!!:oo:

No: no:no: I didn't say that:no:.

No:no: delete the Oleander.

Cheers

Tim

powderpost
25th February 2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Tim, you have some evil thoughts sometimes... :D:D
Jim

fubar
26th February 2012, 09:01 AM
Just a note of caution regarding the beeswax.

17 years ago I found out the hard way that my daughter was very very allergic to bee products of any description including beeswax. Even today she cannot handle any piece of turning that i have applied beeswax to without having an allergic reaction to it. Not that that stops me using it as I love the finish. Just need to give her warning of its use.

issatree
28th February 2012, 01:40 AM
Hi to you all,
Thank you for your replies.
I have Kauri, but it is not big enough to make Rattles.
I have Desert Ash, & that would be good also.
I am not a Pine Person in any way, so I will not be using it.
I will take the Beeswax Allergy on Board. I really never even give it a thought.
So I may have to use " Food Safe " of Neil's, in future.