PDA

View Full Version : Latest piece - gavel

arose62
7th February 2005, 05:22 PM
Made this for the mate who provided the chopped up olive tree it's made from.

He negotiates employment agreements, awards, etc. and says that things often get heated around the big tables, so he wanted something to help control meetings.

Cheers,
Andrew

scatterbrain
7th February 2005, 05:33 PM
i hope things dont get too heated - id hate for such a nice piece to be broken in a fit of rage :D

RETIRED
7th February 2005, 05:45 PM
I find a mallet sorts out most disputes. :D

Nice work.

arose62
7th February 2005, 05:47 PM
OK, so watch for my entry in the next "4x2" competition.

I'll hammer a few big nails through, sharpen the exposed points, and Bob's yer uncle.

Not quite the sort of thing they'd use in Parlyment though.

RETIRED
7th February 2005, 05:54 PM
Maybe they should.

Bruce Micheal
7th February 2005, 07:57 PM
Andrew
Very beautiful work, well done.
What is "olive" like to turn?
It appears to be fairly dense? What was the end grain like?

smidsy
7th February 2005, 10:46 PM
Hei Andrew,
That sure is beautiful work, but for controling meetings why don't you turn him a shot gun.
Cheers
Paul

Harry72
8th February 2005, 12:06 AM
I never new olive wood had such nice a looking grain.

Termite
8th February 2005, 10:04 AM
Turned out well Andrew, if you'll pardon the pun.

BTW folks, I got some of the olive for a little bit of resawing for Andrew. Much appreciated mate. :D

arose62
8th February 2005, 10:48 AM
Bruce Michael asked:
"What is "olive" like to turn?
It appears to be fairly dense? What was the end grain like?"

It's certainly one of the easier wood I've turned (I'm only a beginner).
The wood's oily, and gives off a strong olive aroma as you turn. I believe the wood I have is still wet, as I had a piece thicknessed about 4 months ago, and today I noticed that all the dark bands have shrunk, leaving ripples in the surface. I think the tree came down about 18 months ago, so the ease of turning could be wet wood, the oil in it, or both.

Re: density - the sounding block weighs 450 grams, is 120mm diameter, and 30 mm thick. Grab your calculator...

I had no problems with the end grain, either on the centre work for the gavel, or the faceplate work for the sounding block.

Cheers,
Andrew

rsser
9th February 2005, 05:38 PM
Great work Andrew.

A mate gave me a blank of Olive with the bark on, well dried, and I found the grain to be fine and the wood fairly dense and a treat to turn. Took a great oiled finish.