PDA

View Full Version : Using hex allen key as bead cutter

Drillit
4th March 2012, 02:18 PM
Hello woodturners,
I read somewhere in the Forum of an innovative tool to make the final cuts to cut beads - e.g on wooden rattles. Could someone advise on how this is done. I assume you take a large hex allen key and sharpen the point like a mini double sided straight skew using the bent end of the key and then place the long barrel into a handle. If this is so, advice on angle of cuts on the key would be appreciated. I also assume that the cut would be made using a fairly upright position so that the cutting edge was in full contact etc. Many thanks, Drillit.:?

hughie
4th March 2012, 06:55 PM
Probably this is what you want.

Pyramid Point Tool (http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/PyramidPointTool/PyramidPointTool.htm)

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/pdfs/pyramid_point.pdf

Drillit
4th March 2012, 07:28 PM
Many thanks Hughie for the heads up. Good starting point. I guess in making the tool from an Allen key I would only be able to cut single beads where I can completely cut through as in making rattles. I will experiment and see how we go and let everyone know. I favour using the skew a.f.a.p. From memory I thought the Tea Lady referred to this tool at some time, but I may be wrong about that. Drillit.

issatree
5th March 2012, 12:43 AM
Hi Drillit,
Yes, I use Allen Keys to make my Captured Rings on a Baby Rattle.
I think they were 4mm. So I drilled a hole down 2, 9in. Handles, Glued the long end in.
To the Grinder, & I ground the Short End to about 1/2in. then Sharpened them, one either way.
When cutting the rings, you have to be careful, not to point the Cutter into the centre, so if you do then the Axle? becomes to small.
Good fun making them though, as at this time I have to make 4, 3 Captured Ring Rattles.

Drillit
5th March 2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Issatree. This is what I had in mind. Did you sharpen the short end with any particular (2 sided) bevel? I thought a double sided bevel would be better than making a pointed tool as Hughe has referred me to in his references. Drillit.

issatree
5th March 2012, 10:06 AM
Hi Drillit,
I just touch it on the top, mainly to sq. it off, & then run it from the Cutting Edge up the wheel. In other words , the bottom is curved, & yes, you need to do the sides, as well.
I think the width of my Cutters are about 2 mm. wide.
When you cut, you face the Edge down & then twist it up & push in, & as I said, keep an eye open so as not to cut to far into the "Axle ". I always use 3000 RPM. to do this job. You need to Sharpen often, but just touching it to the wheel.
To sand the inside of the Released Rings, push 2 rings one side & one ring the other.
I use 150G Hermes, Blue with Yellow Cloth Backing, approx 20mm. wide, & guess the length you may need to go around the Axle, use 3 very small drops of Super Glue on the S/Paper, wrap it around the Axle. another 3 drops to complete the circle.
Of course, you sand and put your finish on before you cut the Rings off.
Gee that sounds very awkward. but it is easy really.
Keep cleaning the S/Paper, so you get the maximum out of it.
The hard part is getting the S/Paper off the Axle.
I'm going to TRY & put some Photos up of the Rattles I make.

joe greiner
6th March 2012, 12:36 AM
Instead of Super Glue, and especially for multiple grits, it's easier to secure the sandpaper to the stem with masking tape, on the grit side of one end of a strip. With rotation direction in mind, wrap the long-enough strip so that it covers the piece of tape. Wobble the ring to curve the inside of the donut.

Masking tape is also useful for securing the ring(s) not yet (or already) sanded.

In case it isn't clear, the tape is on the grit side of the sandpaper, and hangs over the end to reach the stem/axle.

If you have a lot of rings, whether you swap grits or rings is a toss-up. Swapping rings needs a wider strip of sandpaper.

Cheers,
Joe

issatree
6th March 2012, 01:16 AM
Morning All,
Thank you Joe, I had forgotten that I did at one time use the M/Tape, but in the long run, the S/Glue worked better, for me anyway.
I just found the tape couldn't keep the centre of the S/ Paper from bulging out, & sometimes, it came off.

Took all my bits & pieces to do with the Rattles at Club tonight, for Show & Tell.
So now I've been asked to do a Demo on how I make, a 3 Ring Rattle.
Should be fun ?.

Drillit
6th March 2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks Issatree and Joe. Appreciate your help. I will let you know how I go. Drillit.