Hey I'm looking at spending the cash and getting a Trend airshield pro
Anyone have one what do you think of them

L R P
5th March 2012, 09:14 AM
I have have had customers tell me they are very happy with it:2tsup:

The shop starts with c and ends with c in Melbourne

wheelinround
5th March 2012, 09:32 AM
Check the market place Dave one fo sale.

nz_carver
5th March 2012, 09:33 AM
I try not to use that shop here in Sydney

brendan stemp
5th March 2012, 10:41 AM
I wrote a review on it for the Aus Woodworker mag about a year ago. Basically I thought it a quality made unit and very good in most criteria except for one big factor; its weight. It was too heavy for my liking and the weight balance was terrible because as you tilt your head forward to work on a lathe you feel the weight transfer to front which amplifies it. I would recommend you try one on before you purchase it.

Jim Carroll
5th March 2012, 01:45 PM
I wrote a review on it for the Aus Woodworker mag about a year ago. Basically I thought it a quality made unit and very good in most criteria except for one big factor; its weight. It was too heavy for my liking and the weight balance was terrible because as you tilt your head forward to work on a lathe you feel the weight transfer to front which amplifies it. I would recommend you try one on before you purchase it.

Unfortunatly this style is top heavy but certainly lighter than in the past.
If you are used to wearing a hard hat you will find very little discomfort as you are used to having an unbalanced weight on your head.

Brendan some people set up their lathe too low and this is where the tilting action shows up, with the weight at the back of these units it is not as pronounced as older models..

You only have one set of lungs so these are a necessary evil, you have to live with the shortcomings unfortunatly. The alternative is certainly a lot more expensive and painfull.

wheelinround
5th March 2012, 01:50 PM
I try not to use that shop here in Sydney

What so you won't buy off forum members out of the Market section of the forum in Sydney :?

Seems you missed that deal anyway.

Acco
5th March 2012, 03:14 PM
What so you won't buy off forum members out of the Market section of the forum in Sydney :?

Seems you missed that deal anyway.

Ray,

I think you'll find that he is replying to this post, not yours :doh:

I have have had customers tell me they are very happy with it:2tsup:

The shop starts with c and ends with c in Melbourne

tea lady
5th March 2012, 04:38 PM
I use the air shield pro at 's when sanding the big stuff. Certainly saves the nose! :cool: No probs with the weight for me. :shrug: Also with big stuff we don' t look down much. :U 'Tis heaven not having MDF snot. :D:rolleyes: You get a kind of cold face which has been quite good in Summer,:cool: but does get a bit cold in winter! :doh:

turnerted
5th March 2012, 04:39 PM
Dave
I tried one on and agree with Brendan that it is too topheavy . I have also tried on the older model and found it better .It has a smaller battery pack ,which may be the reason .It has a shorter run time but no problem if you have a spare battery .Also note the cost of the filters is quite high . I don't know how long these last or if they are cleanable .
I use a Triton , unfortunatly no longer available since mine is showing it's age.
There is a u tube road test of the Trend which you should be able to find.
Ted

dai sensei
5th March 2012, 09:05 PM
I have a PureLite Xstream from Buy online Safety Equipment & Communication Products - OTB Products (http://www.otbproducts.com.au/index.php) (he lives near me and gave me a really good price)
that is pretty similar.

I love it and had no problems with the top heavy unit, but I am used to wearing a hard hat. I even tested it before buying, shaking my head forward to see if it fell off, but no worries as it didn't even move :2tsup:

RETIRED
5th March 2012, 09:24 PM
I have a PureLite Xstream from Buy online Safety Equipment & Communication Products - OTB Products (http://www.otbproducts.com.au/index.php) (he lives near me and gave me a really good price)
that is pretty similar.

I love it and had no problems with the top heavy unit, but I am used to wearing a hard hat. I even tested it before buying, shaking my head forward to see if it fell off, but no worries as it didn't even move :2tsup:The air unit or your head? :whistling2:

powderpost
5th March 2012, 10:12 PM
I had a RACAL dustmaster, and it was excellent, expensive, but excellent. The major problem with it was flatulence, that could bring tears to one's eyes. :- Unfortunately the battery failed after 14 years and I dropped the charger and it broke. :((. I have replaced it with a Purelite xstream. It is good but a bit top heavy but still ok in use.
There are numerous disposable face mask types that are very good also, and not quite so expensive. Some are even capable of coping with vapours.

Jim

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2012, 10:41 PM
There's an article in the latest Aus Wood Review on the trend - could be worth a read ...

Toymaker Len
5th March 2012, 11:29 PM
I was just toying with the idea of putting in a review on this very product. As a professional woodworker I found myself sanding and cutting up to ten hours a day and toward the end of my career I couldn't work without breathing apparatus.
I won mine in a promo before chrissy (A big thank you to Carrolls) and have only had it out of the box a couple of times. Today the ear protectors arrived and have been mucking around with it for about an hour trying to fit them. The ear/hearing protectors are sold as a seperate unit and so have to be bought and fitted. They come with a couple of maddening little idiot clips that are extraordinarily difficult to fit but without them the unit just doesn't work. The earmuffs give it a bit of extra purchase so it doesn't slop around. When I finally did get it all assembled I just couldn't find a comfortable adjustment so it felt secure on my head.
The big plus is that it blows a lot of air over the face, no chance of the visor fogging up.
On the other hand I have an old Triton respirator that fits like a glove and although I have modified it and the pipe is held together with gaffer tape and it is so weak that I have to run it with the battery charger plugged in if it starts to fog up.... it is the one I would prefer.
Why ? Well the Triton is too weak but all the weight of the battery pack and the air pump is on a belt around the waist which leaves the helmet comfortably light. Also the Triton has a flip up screen so if you want to talk to sombody or check a detail it is easy. So you get face shield, hard hat, ear protection and air supply.
The Trend Airshield pro on the other hand has all the weight sitting on your head, the face shield doesn't flip up, the ear protectors are god-awful to assemble and use and it is not a hard-hat.
What I really want is something along the lines of the Triton Respirator with a decent replaceable battery pack and a really powerful motor so it can double as a cooling system.
Hope this helps, my conclusion is that there isn't a really good respirator on the market.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2012, 11:45 PM
Len

have you contacted someone like AKKUPAK re your batteries, they might be able to repack them
BTW I like the Triton and it looks like they will again be on the market - personally didn't like the clip at the back of the hat - but still use mine
link (http://www.akkupak.com.au/)

brendan stemp
6th March 2012, 08:55 AM
I stand by what I said about the weight and it wasn't just my opinion; I gave it to others to try without any hinting and they came to the same conclusion. I have my lathe higher than what is normally suggested so this was not a factor. Besides, I would have to have the spindle height at about 5'9" mark for there to be no tilting of the head! Anyone who disagrees must have once been a rugby front rower!

I suppose I am annoyed and bewildered as to why there is not a better alternative on the market, at a reasonable price. Anyone who owns a Racal/3M Dustmaster must have come to the same conclusion as me: they are the best on the market but are way too expensive, especially considering the crappy quality of the mask and the basic design and quality of the rest of the unit. The chinese could manufacture these for about $10 so why the ridiculous price tag of $900ish.

The Trend shield is much, much better quality and half the price. But, who needs a hard hat when turning. Or perhaps, like the extra eye protection issue, I have this wrong too.

I should send the Dustmaster to a Chinese manufacturer to see what they could do. I just need to find one and a generous investor. There must be a market for a unit that doesn't have the battery, fan and filters on the head and does away with the hard hat. Triton tried but still insisted on the hard hat and had that awful claustrophobic veil.

In all this I do agree with Jim about the one set of lungs that should be protected. That's why I eventually did bite the bullet and buy the Dustmaster, even though I resent having had to pay the price.

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2012, 09:43 AM
I also like the triton... the curved face shield has a few warps in it the distort your vision a bit & if you wear glasses, you have to remember to take them off while you are putting the helmet on or taking it off.

Jim Carroll
6th March 2012, 01:09 PM
You are right Brendan it has been a long time since the DM4 has been on the market and the Airlite was a reasonable unit as well.
When the DM4 was bought in by Racal all was good then 3M took over and the price doubled overnight. now pricing them out of the market.

You should have bought one of the Record units now there was something to complain about, very Darth Vaderish.

The reason behind the hat part on the Trend is two fold.
Partly to protect the filters and the motor etc and also to stop peices hitting the top of your head, certainly better than the triton unit.

Len the idea of not lifting the visor up is so you are not defeating the purpose of wearing a respirator , breath fresh air, lift the visor up and breath dusty air.

You can actually lift the visor up in use by undoing the locking knobs on the side of the visor slightly, this will allow you to lift the visor, also aids in puting on when wearing glasses.

Yes the ear muff set up is horrendous that is why I use the peltor earmuff that have the metal band that goes round the back of the head instead of over the top, and the peltor ones work better, only use them when routing or sawing never on the lathe.

TTIT
6th March 2012, 03:44 PM
After reading all the downsides to each model, I reckon I'll just wait until Brendan get's his Chaiwanese copies on the market :;:U

ticklingmedusa
6th March 2012, 06:31 PM
I have used the original Airshield with an extractor for years
and like it very much.
Wearing my reading glasses or earmuff type hearing protectors
or even a small warm cap was comfortable.
At first it seemed heavy but I got used to it soon.
I had no problems most sessions with battery life using the Airshield.
Had a spare battery and rarely needed it , 6 to 7 hour turning sessions
were common. I recently dropped it one too many times and ended up
with a new Airpro.
I've been accused of being a pencilneck but I find the new Airpro does seem top
heavy to me too. I find myself wanting to remove it when I drop something or sweep.

It delivers a nice flow of filtered air and seems to seal well.
I'm at the beginning of the learning curve with it and have a little difficulty keeping my
readers on straight when I put it on.
I think playing with the headband adjustments may help balance it up there a little
bit better.
It's been cold here and I think I will have to try a new hat.
I found an Australian newcomer to the field at another forum and wonder if anybody over there has experience with one yet?
See below
I'm interested in simple shop made devices that others are using and may try to refit
the broken unit with a supply line that delivers clean air.
I'm finding that comfort with whatever you end up with is very important,
not only in regard to lung & face protection but neck pain, general safety while turning and quality of work as well.
John
<table class="prodDescription" cellpadding="17"><tbody><tr><td style=" 267px; " rowspan="2">http://www.weldmart.com.au/img/products/Paftec%20CleanSpace.jpg
http://www.weldmart.com.au/img/products/864/Paftec%20CleanSpace_.jpg.jpg
http://www.weldmart.com.au/img/products/864/Paftec%20CleanSpace_2.jpg</td><td style=" 2 "><table class="prodSpec"> <tbody><tr><th style=" 50%; ">Manufacturer</th><td style=" 50%; ">Paftec</td></tr> <tr><th style=" 50%; ">Product Name</th><td style=" 50%; ">PAFtec CleanSpace. The the world's smallest, low profile powered respirator.</td></tr> </tbody></table>
Item code: PAF-0001

The PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ combines AirSensit™ software with its patented motor and innovative design to create a uniquely low-profile personal respiratory device that combines comfort, mobility, high protection and style for use in professional, industrial and urban environments.

VERY LIGHT WEIGHT & HYGIENIC
Weighing less than 0.5kg, PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ is the world's smallest and lightest powered respirator. The silicone mask can be easily separated and cleaned between uses.

POSITIVE PRESSURE & ASSURED PROTECTION
Accredited to Australian Standard AS/NZS1716 PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ offers minimum of 99% filtration efficiency for particles of 0.3μm and above.

BREAKTHROUGH MOBILITY
The PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ has no hoses or cables. The respirator is mounted around the neck allowing use in a wider range of applications than ever before. Fits with existing safety equipment.

USER FRIENDLY DESIGN
PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ with it's light ergonomic design places the weight and the filter at the back of the neck rather than on the front of the face. The low profile silicone mask allows the wearer a clear line of sight down. The positive pressure in the mask means the respirator is adjusted for comfort not tightened for seal like a passive mask.

INTELLIGENT BREATH SENSOR TECHNOLOGY
PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ incorporates our patented AirSensit™ responsive flow control software which responds to airflow demand breath-by-breath, making it pleasant and easy to breathe even in the most challenging environments.

HIGH QUALITY & RELIABILITY
PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ delivers industrial protection and performance for comfort and compliance.

VISUAL & AUDIO WARNINGS
The respirator has LED indicators and warning beeps' that indicate low battery power and a blocked filter.

EXTERNAL BATTERY PACK
Light and compact palm size battery provides an additional 4 hours of continuous operation.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
AirGen (Main Unit)
AS/NZS 1716 compliant Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR)
Essential (P2) Filter offers minimum 99% filtration efficiency
Responsive Flow Control Setting: Low, Medium, High
Air-flow Capacity: > 140 L / Minute
Input Range: 4.75V to 5.75V, 500mA and 1000mA Auto-selectable
Weight: 0.5kg
Internal Battery Duration: Typically 4 hours
Charge Time: Typically 5 hours at 1000mA input

AC ADAPTOR
Input: 100 - 240 Vac, 0.15 A, 50-60 Hz
Output: 5.25 V to 5.75 V, 1000mA with USB Type A connector

EXTERNAL BATTERY PACK
Capacity: 5,500mAH
Input: 4.75V to 5.75V, 500mA
Output: 5.25V to 5.75V, 1000mA
Battery Duration: Typically 4 hours
Charge Time: Overnight

Watch it on Youtube: PAFtec CleanSpace - YouTube

Watch the robustness Test on Youtube: PAFtec CleanSpaceŽ Carpark Robustness Test - YouTube
</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: bottom; "><td>Back (http://www.weldmart.com.au/store/safety-equipment---helmets/respiratory-systems/)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

cookie48
6th March 2012, 08:52 PM
Rekon all this powered stuff is overkill. What is wrong with a plain old face filter? You can change the filters easy and not pay hundreds for something that does the same job as item that costs about 70/80. I find my plain old face filter is good and it is easy to fit and take off. But then again I am a smoker so it probably makes no difference anyway.

Toymaker Len
6th March 2012, 09:23 PM
Yes it looks like the field is wide open waiting for a reasonably priced, well designed durable unit to come from China (or 'Big Brother to the North' as I like to call it)
Looking back I think I only paid about $250 for the Triton Respirator which seemed like a lot eight or ten years ago. Now all the manufacturers are stuck with selling low volumes to small captive markets (i.e. people who simply have to have them) so the price will be high. The first company to get a really good unit will break open the global woodworker hobby market and then the price will go into free-fall. Whats the bet there is a woodies respirator in Aldi under a hundred bucks within five years ?
I spent the day cutting window openings in a fibro cottage reno I am doing which means standing on scaffolding with an angle grinder making clouds of dust. I alternated the Triton Respirator and the Trend Airshield Pro, at least until I broke off one of the Airshields ear protectors...The Triton still fits the best but it is a pain to rig up the belt and the get the helmet on also it started to fade badly and was on and off the charger all day. The Triton is easier to just pop on and it gives a refreshing blast of air but the ergonomics are flawed and try as I might I just couldn't get the thing to sit comfortably on my head.
PS Sawdust maker ...thanks for the link to the battery fixers but really the triton uses rechargeable "D" cells soldered in and I can get them from Dick Smith etc.
Jim... The thing with the flip up mask is that when the dust is thick the mask is down and sealed but then if I step back from the job thirty seconds later the wind or the DE has done its work and the air is clear and I can take a close look at some detail that would be impossible to check otherwise without taking the helmet off altogether. But you are right..."one set of lungs" is the guts of it.

damian
7th March 2012, 01:37 PM
I paid $200 I think for my triton and agree it's a wonderful thing.

Cookie48 your welcome to your opinion but I've used a range of breathing apparatus at work and home and prefer a power fed unit. YMMV.

The paftec is 399 at carbatec

Paftec CleanSpaceŽ Respirator : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/paftec-cleanspace-respirator_c21873)

and those type can be a bother with a beard.

Each of us will prefer a different solution and that's all good, but I for one recommend some sort of dust control.

mic-d
7th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Rekon all this powered stuff is overkill. What is wrong with a plain old face filter? You can change the filters easy and not pay hundreds for something that does the same job as item that costs about 70/80. I find my plain old face filter is good and it is easy to fit and take off. But then again I am a smoker so it probably makes no difference anyway.

The plain old face filter is ineffective if like me you have a beard. Powered is the only way to go for the hirsute. I have a new model trend and am reasonably happy with it.

Cheers
Michael

hughie
7th March 2012, 09:31 PM
Hope this helps, my conclusion is that there isn't a really good respirator on the market

buga! I am leaning toward getting one. I find the comments about hard hats interesting, As I have worn them for many years and never found them heavy :? I would have thought 1KG set up much heavier than any hard hat.

Given also that most if not all are P2 level of filtration which should most of us for woodust. At the moment to Paftec at 500gm is looking pretty good.

NeilS
9th March 2012, 11:21 AM
Anyone who owns a Racal/3M Dustmaster must have come to the same conclusion as me: they are the best on the market but are way too expensive, especially considering the crappy quality of the mask and the basic design and quality of the rest of the unit.

I have the old Racal. Good weight, terrible quality. Mine has been falling apart for years and I'm endlessly patching it up as there is no way I'm going to part with the $s being asked for a new 3M. But, as yet, I've not found a replacement unit that is to my satisfaction.

At or near the lathe I use a lightweight tethered positive air filter/mask arrangement that I made up myself, which I find ideal for that use. I only use the Racal when I need to move out of range (abt 3m) of the tethered system.

I'm looking forward to that ideal solution that we are all after.

Sawdust Maker
9th March 2012, 11:43 AM

I'm looking forward to that ideal solution that we are all after.

Dustless wood :wink:

Sturdee
9th March 2012, 12:07 PM
At or near the lathe I use a lightweight tethered positive air filter/mask arrangement that I made up myself, which I find ideal for that use.

Neil,

Can you give some more details of that arrangement please.

Peter.

sparkie54
9th March 2012, 12:19 PM
We found this one on the web, around half a kg and the safety guys are looking at it - of course it won't suit people with beards could always shave in a decorative line so the mask seals:U But at over $400 probably out of most peoples range

NeilS
9th March 2012, 01:34 PM
Neil,

Can you give some more details of that arrangement please.

Peter.

Peter - I don't want to hijack this thread topic, so link to previous posting here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/breathing-masks-88591/index2.html#post892220).

And 2nd pic here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/small-start-109988/#post1079984) of me wearing it.

NeilS
9th March 2012, 01:48 PM
Dustless wood :wink:

If you can play air guitar, why not woodless turning...:rolleyes:

wheelinround
9th March 2012, 01:59 PM
Hey I'm looking at spending the cash and getting a Trend airshield pro
Anyone have one what do you think of them

Well Dave I am sure you have read all these posts have you made a choice????

I'd personally wait for the one which comes with earphones, phone access, USB/MP3 player, DigiCam so you can record your turning antics, of course you'll require a heads up screen so you can see all these things which would then give you "At the lathe online access to the forum". These gadgets all top notch its the battery which is the killer.:;

RETIRED
9th March 2012, 02:45 PM
Dave. If you can wait until you come down, you can try ours.

nz_carver
9th March 2012, 04:01 PM
yeah i was thinking that im in no rush for one

Sawdust Maker
9th March 2012, 04:51 PM
If you can play air guitar, why not woodless turning...:rolleyes:

But I'm usually out of tune :doh:

On a more serious note there is a user report on the Paftec dust mask in the April edition of Australian Woodworker along with an article on controlling dust (part 3) it briefly mentions the Trend Airshield and Paftec amoung others

Sturdee
9th March 2012, 06:32 PM
Peter - I don't want to hijack this thread topic, so link to previous posting here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/breathing-masks-88591/index2.html#post892220).

And 2nd pic here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/small-start-109988/#post1079984) of me wearing it.

Thanks Neil, I have a spare face shield so this is something to investigate. Can set it up to suck air from underneath the house.

Peter.

ticklingmedusa
9th March 2012, 08:30 PM

Pretty Cool Neil :2tsup:

Toymaker Len
9th March 2012, 10:24 PM
All good stuff. Just out of curiosity I wonder if anybody has tried boosting a breather set-up by running another tube to the dust extractor ? For instance if you had a helmety on and ran a tube say from the bottom of the mask to the nearest DE inlet then you would get lower pressure in the mask and hence suck more air through the filter. I never got around to trying it myself but I just think it might work. Any volunteers ?
Len.

cookie48
10th March 2012, 12:52 AM
Toymaker Len. Do not know if I would try that one, but, what about an air hose from a compressor (regulated pressure of coarse) Gently blowing over the face mask???????

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2012, 09:49 AM
You could just buy a CPAP machine and use that but with the intake outside the shed. Trouble is that these machines are relatively expensive

If any of you have sleep apnea you know what I'm talking about

BobL
10th March 2012, 11:02 AM
Toymaker Len. Do not know if I would try that one, . . . . . .

Anything that creates a low pressure region inside a mask will suck dust into the mask so that would be totally counter productive. A mask should create a higher pressure area around the mouth/nose not a lower one

what about an air hose from a compressor (regulated pressure of coarse) Gently blowing over the face mask???????
There are commercially available units that do this. A special oil filter has to be placed in the air line or you may make yourself sick from the compressor oil mist. A standard oil mist filter is not suitable.

The reality with with only using masks is are they not an answer to any workshop WW dust problem. Masks only offer protection whilst being worn but they do not remove dust from the air so the air around the operator becomes fogged with fine dust that cannot be seen. That dust can hang around for days if it is not removed from a workspace.. As soon as masks are removed the operator is exposed to the dust. The operator is also likely to be completely covered with dust which unless they are removed dislodges itself from the operators clothes and body heat causes the dust to rise like a chimney stack around the operator and straight up the operators nose. As much of the dust as possible should be captured and removed from a workspace as soon as it is produced. Capturing fines dust inside a shed is not possible with budget level dust extractors or vacuum cleaners so venting these outside a shed is essential. If this is not possible then at as much forced ventilation as possible should be used to continually remove as much dust from the shed as possible. Relying on an open window or doorway is not adequate.

If the choice is between a 2HP dust collector or a high quality mask, then the DC vented outside the shed and a paper mask is in most cases a better solution than the mask.

BTW I do have a Triton air mask which I do use when I am doing something dusty but I also have my DC running at the same time.

cookie48
10th March 2012, 12:38 PM
BobL.
Your points about residual dust in the air is taken. I suppose the only real way around all this problem is either do not make the dust to start with, or have a positive air pressure room with a very effective filter system. It wold not really matter which way you go, in the long run there is allways going to be residual dust some where.

hughie
11th March 2012, 10:58 PM
There are commercially available units that do this. A special oil filter has to be placed in the air line or you may make yourself sick from the compressor oil mist. A standard oil mist filter is not suitable.

Agreed and I have thought of this. But the run cost of my compressor and the noise it makes puts me off the idea. Currently I have a large [around 600mm ] slow running fan off an airconditioner. This I intend to install it at one end as an exhaust fan with a vent, the door, at the other end. :U and just wear a coat come winter.
Richard Raffan has something like this at his shed, although somewhat bigger.

BobL
11th March 2012, 11:34 PM
. . ., or have a positive air pressure room with a very effective filter system.

You are right, it is virtually impossible to eliminate all dust but what matters is reducing the concentration of fine wood dust.

Positive air pressure rooms filter incoming air of dust to create a dust free work zone. This is what we use in the $2.7 million clean labs where I work. But unlike a wood working facility we go to great lengths to avoid generating any dust inside these clean room and what dust is generated is quickly captured by huge volumes of recirculating/filtered air. The internal filtering system is designed to be very robust so that workmen can come into the clean room and make a mess and within 24 hours it will be cleaner than an operating theatre. There is so much prefiltering used that the 70 main recirculating HEPA filters are expected never to have to be replace - so far they have run for 11 years and don't show any signs of reduced flow.

A wood working environment is quite different to this sort of clean room. The only dust that woodies should worry about is fine wood dust and (apart from finishing time) we don't care about regular everyday dust. This is why capturing wood dust at source and removing it from the shed is one of the simplest and most effective solutions. This does create a negative pressure inside the shed and fine dust ejected from the shed will want to ride air flows and migrate back into the shed and is why placing a DC just outside a door is a complete waste of time. The DC should at least vent on one side of a shed while the intake for the shed should be on the opposite wall and preferably up-wind of the prevailing wind direction.

Few people realize that ordinary air contains somewhere between 100,000 and 10 million particles of dust per cubic ft of 0.3 microns or greater (there are heaps more at lower sizes). If a DC ejects air with 10 million wood dust particles of 0.3 microns or greater it will mix with the regular air so that this wood dust is diluted with ordinary dust so even if some does come back inside the shed at least it has been diluted and hopefully in an average suburb the effect will be a bit like peeing in the ocean.

BobL
11th March 2012, 11:36 PM
. . Currently I have a large [around 600mm ] slow running fan off an airconditioner. This I intend to install it at one end as an exhaust fan with a vent, the door, at the other end. :U and just wear a coat come winter.

:2tsup: