PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Chisels.

Mark Woodward
4th May 2000, 10:18 AM
Hi all, I want to get a set of top quality chisels. At the moment I'm using the same set of Stanleys for bashing out a hole in a fence post, and also for cutting dovetails!). I'd like to get premium chisels just for the workshop. I'm leaning towards the Japanese types(Iyoroi brand from the woodworks book and tool Co.). I like the fact that they're made from a harder tool steel than 'western' chisels. But I also like the Robert Sorby (octagonal handled) boxwood chisels which are available as a set of 6 for considerably less money. But I've read on the internet 2 very different reports on the Sorby's. One guy says he'd sell his wife before his Sorby's and another guy says they have changed recently ( for the worse - an inferior steels being used nowadays ) and that Japanese chisels are far superior. These guys are both lecturers and respected woodworkers so who do you listen to? Does anyone have an opinion on this or does anyone own either of these and can recommend them? Or does anyone have another favourite brand?
Thanks again,
Mark