PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly lathe 1067Z

phillywood
13th March 2012, 04:19 PM
Any one here owns this lathe? I am having some major problems with it like first tool rest post broke off, I had it welded 3 times and finally snaped off then tightening handles for the banjo and extension tool rest broke. last week had to repalce the On-Off switch from a local store (Greinger) so I can finish what I was doing ( so didn;'t ahve to wait for a week to get it in the mail) and on Sat. I had a piece of Mesquite wood about 7" high and 10.5" wide and it blew on me due to a hidden crack, and next thing you know motor clamp (what connects the motor body to the body of headstock) snapped off and now I can not even turn anything. I called Grizzly about it and all I am getting is that the lathe is out of warranty. I was wondering that if the warranty runs out that you should expect the tool to fall apart? Then what are these old tools from 40's and 50's or even antique tools still doing around?

brendan stemp
13th March 2012, 08:27 PM
That sounds like a nightmare situation. Not many Grizzlys in Aus. though so I reckon you won't get much feedback from this part of the world. We have a Consumer Affairs over here and they would suggest that it has nothing to do with the warranty; if you have bought something that should last a lot longer than it has then you have rights to get it repaired free of charge. Do you have an equivelant in the US?

vk4
13th March 2012, 08:40 PM
I agree with the last comment.

Even though the warranty may have expired, IT would be expected that a machine would stand up to the work it was designed to do.

In saying this ,, HOW OLD is the LATHE??, and could you post a couple of PIC'S of the damage, for us antipodeans??

Jeff
vk4

phillywood
16th March 2012, 07:30 AM
I agree with the last comment.

Even though the warranty may have expired, IT would be expected that a machine would stand up to the work it was designed to do.

In saying this ,, HOW OLD is the LATHE??, and could you post a couple of PIC'S of the damage, for us antipodeans??

Jeff
vk4
It seems that if the lathe was built in 1998 or so, I am not too sure since they left the date unmarked and there is no stamping on the placard. On the other hands I notified the US consumer protection agency that looks into this and they started a complaint trail and I have to wait until I get it. Meanwhile, I am to contact the Texas attorney general office about this since every state in USA has there own rules as for protecting the consumer about the defective products. But, what concerns me that this lathe is the same thing that Harbor Freight Co. is now selling it and I wonder if they have gotten the bug out of it before they sell it or they may be in for some law suites.

since I am travelling tomorrow I won't be able to post a pic. of it, but I will upon my arrival since it's good for others o know and see these kind of stuff.

Willy Nelson
16th March 2012, 10:53 AM
Gee Whizz
That's incredible that tool rests etc are breaking like that, in my opinion.
Regardless of how cheap or poorly made it is, I would have expected the tool rest to survive the rigours of what you have described. I have never heard of a broken rest. As it has broken once, and then repaired, perhaps the metalurgy (spelling) is also no affected by the welding to make it more brittle.

This whole lathe sounds dangerous.

Besides, the possibility of continueil parts breaking, it cannot make for enjoyable turning.

Maybe time to look for a new lathe?

Willy
Jarrahland

phillywood
16th March 2012, 11:01 AM
Gee Whizz
That's incredible that tool rests etc are breaking like that, in my opinion.
Regardless of how cheap or poorly made it is, I would have expected the tool rest to survive the rigours of what you have described. I have never heard of a broken rest. As it has broken once, and then repaired, perhaps the metallurgy (spelling) is also no affected by the welding to make it more brittle.

This whole lathe sounds dangerous.

Besides, the possibility of continual parts breaking, it cannot make for enjoyable turning.

Maybe time to look for a new lathe?

Willy
Jarrahland

Well, you'd see when I put up the pic. form the cross section that the darn thing looks like that your looking at piece of white toast it has so many bubbles in the cast.
I am sure our friends who are metal workers or know about metallurgy would say something about it.

Willy Nelson
16th March 2012, 06:50 PM
Sounds like Hydrogen embrittement, maybe

joe greiner
17th March 2012, 12:20 AM
Grizzly's G1067Z is not the same as Harbor Freight's 34706; Grizzly's G5979 is a closer match. I don't think Grizzly has sold either of those models since around 2002. How long have you owned yours? And what was the source?

As far as I'm concerned, the tool rest extension on any such lathes is an accident-in-waiting, and best consigned to the junk box. Use something more robust for outboard turning.

Definitely time for a new lathe.

Joe

phillywood
3rd April 2012, 01:30 AM
Grizzly's G1067Z is not the same as Harbor Freight's 34706; Grizzly's G5979 is a closer match. I don't think Grizzly has sold either of those models since around 2002. How long have you owned yours? And what was the source?

As far as I'm concerned, the tool rest extension on any such lathes is an accident-in-waiting, and best consigned to the junk box. Use something more robust for outboard turning.

Definitely time for a new lathe.

Joe
Joe, the point I was trying to make was that Grizzly's attitude is that since it is out of warranty then it must be junk and mine is what about all those tractors and heavy equipments that people still have around form 40's and 50's and still fix them and use them. It appears that they knew what kind of junk they got from Taiwan and that's why they discontinued selling it. It also amazes me that how no one tested the darn thing before they allow it to sell knowing that when we have our almost razor sharp tools to use on this lathe and the danger of what might happen with those kind of tools getting entangled in the process of accidents. Look at the pic.s I have put on the main thread.
From your profile it appears that you are a structural engineer then you'd understand the inferior quality of this manufacturing.

phillywood
3rd April 2012, 01:38 AM
Her are the pics.

joe greiner
4th April 2012, 01:10 AM
The motor plate indicates manufacture in 2000/12. The lathe itself would be 2001/01 at the earliest, not 1998.

The tool rest appears to be defective, but your welded repairs cloud the issue of warranty.

"Out of warranty" doesn't necessarily indicate junk. Hardly any warranty is unlimited, and usually they're restricted to the original purchaser anyway.

If you were the original purchaser, why has it taken so long to discover the defects? The Texas Attorney General could have the same question.

dogcatcher
4th April 2012, 03:36 AM
what about all those tractors and heavy equipments that people still have around form 40's and 50's and still fix them and use them. .

Most of those old tractors and pieces of equipment are kept running because of aftermarket suppliers. And hobbyists that actually rebuild the original by making their own castings and doing their own machine work. Most of the manufacturers ran out of spare parts ages ago.

Comparing an old John Deere Model A tractor to Grizzly wood lathe is like comparing apples to horse apples. That horse just won't run.

phillywood
5th April 2012, 10:15 AM
The motor plate indicates manufacture in 2000/12. The lathe itself would be 2001/01 at the earliest, not 1998.

The tool rest appears to be defective, but your welded repairs cloud the issue of warranty.

"Out of warranty" doesn't necessarily indicate junk. Hardly any warranty is unlimited, and usually they're restricted to the original purchaser anyway.

If you were the original purchaser, why has it taken so long to discover the defects? The Texas Attorney General could have the same question.
Joe, you are indeed right, but when you build the things you engineered youdidn't build them to fall apart this quickly. what I was trying to say that for the lathe not being used that much, this sure was a shoty machinery that china build and Grizzly decided to market it under their name.

phillywood
5th April 2012, 10:17 AM
Most of those old tractors and pieces of equipment are kept running because of aftermarket suppliers. And hobbyists that actually rebuild the original by making their own castings and doing their own machine work. Most of the manufacturers ran out of spare parts ages ago.

Comparing an old John Deere Model A tractor to Grizzly wood lathe is like comparing apples to horse apples. That horse just won't run.
that might be true, however this lathe is not that old fo r it to fall apart already.