PDA

View Full Version : First Stab at Boxes

Simon-UK
10th February 2005, 09:08 AM
Folks,

As a newbie I had my first stab at boxes over the past week. Here is the output!

North - Sapele
East - Iroko
South - Purple Heart
West - English Oak

Simon

beejay1
10th February 2005, 09:30 AM
bloody hell simonc, if thats your first attempt, congratulations. You should think about giving up your day job and moving into turning.

Ill be in touch with you for some tips when I get my first lathe, but ive got to get to grips with the scroll saw first. BTW did you sort out your bandsaw?
beejay1

Simon-UK
10th February 2005, 09:48 AM
Moving closer. I have a little time as I am having a workshop built when we get out garage done (May / early June is the current plan) so I am seeking advice at present.

Record have stopped making the blue 'Select' range as they have bought / been bought by another bandsaw manufacturer (Startrite I think but could be wrong). They have tweaked the range and re-launched in their green paint job. I think I have just missed a good deal as they were giving a the RDE1 dust extractor (£110) free with the mid size saw, the new equivalent of yours which has a RRP of £499. As I said, I was only looking to spend £350-£400 but I may have been tempted, especially given the number of times her worship comes back from the shops having saved me an unlimited fortune!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments on the boxes. I was really pleased how they turned out. The only one I am not sure about is the Iroko box, the pip on the top looks too small and the lid is quite thick so feels too heavy when it is removed.

All the best, and if I can share some of my limited experience let me know!

Simon.

reeves
10th February 2005, 10:21 AM
hey mate nice stuff for a early try..u got it, keep on rolling

TimberNut
10th February 2005, 10:35 AM
Simon,

well done mate!!!

Simple form, nice pieces. They would stand up well against all our efforts. Don't tell anyone they are your first attempts. Most people would never know, looking at the pictures.

It's always nice to have people admire your handi-work, and only the most critical would fail to admire these.

Well done, keep on turnin' !!

rsser
11th February 2005, 10:37 PM
Moving closer. I have a little time as I am having a workshop built when we get out garage done (May / early June is the current plan) so I am seeking advice at present.

Record have stopped making the blue 'Select' range as they have bought / been bought by another bandsaw manufacturer (Startrite I think but could be wrong). They have tweaked the range and re-launched in their green paint job. I think I have just missed a good deal as they were giving a the RDE1 dust extractor (£110) free with the mid size saw, the new equivalent of yours which has a RRP of £499. As I said, I was only looking to spend £350-£400 but I may have been tempted, especially given the number of times her worship comes back from the shops having saved me an unlimited fortune!!!!
Simon.

Nice boxes Simon - now you know what to give for Xmas this year!

Re the gear ... this is a mostly Oz forum, and the models and prices aren't especially relevant down here so it's a bit hard to comment.