PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Burl bowls and Platters

woodturner777
16th March 2012, 10:28 AM
Just a few eucalyptus burl bowls and platters that I have turned looking forward to getting back on my lathe soon. regards Bob

Willy Nelson
16th March 2012, 10:47 AM
Well they look superb!!
I would like to see individual photos though, especially some of the larger ones with the distinctive gum veins
Well done
Willy
Jarrahland

wheelinround
16th March 2012, 01:16 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: E-by gum they look tops

bench1holio
16th March 2012, 01:54 PM
some nice looking bowls ther bob :2tsup:

Beneke
16th March 2012, 02:47 PM
Nice Work!:2tsup:

I'm a newbie to woodturning and have a few quesions regarding turning burl platters.
I have a couple of Jarrah Burl slices approx 500mm in diameter and between 40-60mm in thickness.

Question 1: Can burl be turned green or must it be dry?
Question 2: What is the best method to chuck burl slices?
Question 3: Any other comment or bits of information that might be usefull?

Regards
Stephen

mkypenturner
16th March 2012, 03:13 PM
nice work :2tsup: that would have kept you busy for a while

turnerted
16th March 2012, 04:33 PM
Nice looking bowls Bob. You must have a good supply of burl.

Beneke. You can turn burls green, infact I prefer it . Although burl does not usually move as much as normal green timber when drying , it is still best to leave it to fully dry a bit oversize then return it.
Mounting burl depends a bit on how sound it is . If you are confident you can screw into solid wood, just use a faceplate . If the timber is a bit iffey, you may like to consider glueing a bit of sound timber onto it then screwing a faceplate on to that .
If you are turning a lump of burl 500mm diameter you want to be sure you are going to hang on to it.
Ted

brendan stemp
16th March 2012, 06:24 PM
Lookin' real nice!!

I, like Willy Nelson would like to see some individual pics to show case them better.

Either way, great work.

artme
16th March 2012, 10:53 PM
Niphty collection there Bob. Looks like you have the burl turning well under control!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
16th March 2012, 11:14 PM
Very nice.

woodturner777
17th March 2012, 06:52 PM
HI Stephen,
I have turned well over hundreds of large bowls and platters over the years as I used to supply a lot of gallerys around Hobart and I have always turned green with no problems only a few warped a little but to me that added character. As for turning them I started by using a faceplate screwed on then put a recess in the bottom reversed then used a chuck.
Regards Bob

Nice Work!:2tsup:

I'm a newbie to woodturning and have a few quesions regarding turning burl platters.
I have a couple of Jarrah Burl slices approx 500mm in diameter and between 40-60mm in thickness.

Question 1: Can burl be turned green or must it be dry?
Question 2: What is the best method to chuck burl slices?
Question 3: Any other comment or bits of information that might be usefull?

Regards
Stephen

joevan
17th March 2012, 08:58 PM
Hello Bob,
Very nice indeed, one can not go wrong turning any type of burl. but red gum and coolabah are the best.
br Joevan

Beneke
19th March 2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Bob & Ted,

Thanks for the advice! :) Think I'll Have a bit of a play this weekend.

Regards

Stephen

Cliff Rogers
19th March 2012, 04:31 PM
:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
20th March 2012, 12:16 AM
What a fantastic collection of Burrs, are they all from one specis (same basic colour) or are they from accross a range of eucalyptus'.

woodturner777
22nd March 2012, 08:05 PM
What a fantastic collection of Burrs, are they all from one specis (same basic colour) or are they from accross a range of eucalyptus'.

They were turned from a few different species of eucalyptus just look the same colour from the light in the photos. regards Bob

floody_85
22nd March 2012, 08:46 PM
They look beautiful Bob! You must have some beautiful burl down there!

woodturner777
25th March 2012, 09:13 AM
They look beautiful Bob! You must have some beautiful burl down there!

G'Day Floody, Yes as well as beautifull timbers Tasmanian has lots of beautiful burl.
Alan Cringean AC custom Basses and guitars has built a few beautifull Basses from pure burl, I am surprised more builders are not using it. Regards Bob

floody_85
25th March 2012, 09:40 AM
G'Day Floody, Yes as well as beautifull timbers Tasmanian has lots of beautiful burl.
Alan Cringean AC custom Basses and guitars has built a few beautifull Basses from pure burl, I am surprised more builders are not using it. Regards Bob

I can imagine a burl top would be expensive lol. I know Ran guitars, who are based I think in sweeden, use a lot of poplar eye burl and buckeye Burl for tops. They look a million bucks!