PDA

View Full Version : Branding Iron

Roly
27th May 2000, 08:57 PM
Being on the short time for retirement and having a dream to begin a professional woodworking enterprise I really need to know wether there is anyone in Australia that manufactures branding irons for the purpose of giving that personalised touch to your projects. Can anyone help me with an address/manufacturer etc etc.

Thank you in advance from Roly in Canberra.

RETIRED
28th May 2000, 01:09 AM
Gooday.

What size? Cowboy style for branding cows or just your name and details?

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

AlexS
29th May 2000, 09:36 AM
Have a look in the Australian woodworker about 3 years ago. They had an article about an American one, then the next issue, someone wrote in to say he had had one made locally for a reasonable price & was very happy. I think it was in the southern suburbs of Sydney. If you don't have access to old AWW post me and I'll have a look through my back issues when I get a chance.

Roly
29th May 2000, 11:29 AM
The size I am looking for is just with the name and maybe a telephone number, nothing in the size to brand a steer.

Roly

RETIRED
29th May 2000, 07:08 PM
Gooday.

I had a branding iron made many years ago that attached to a soldering iron (Birko 100Watter, what a beast).

Try engravers in the yellow pages to see if they will make a male engraving on a brass block and attach it to a shaft to fit a soldering iron. Explain what you are using it for. Most are very helpful if they know the full story. Expect to pay a LOT.

Using a brand on timber is a real art in itself. It must be flat. It must be the right temperature or you burn it, not too cold or it won't work. You generally only get one shot.

IMHO you are better signing your work with an Artline pen.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"