PDA

View Full Version : something different with a pen blank

mkypenturner
24th March 2012, 10:54 AM
had been playing around with a heap of these seam rippers in timber last year and since im going to a market in a few weeks time i decided to try using a few acrylic pen blanks instead of making pens to make some seam rippers ( no i didnt run out of pen kits that will NEVER happen ) :D
not hard in making them just making sure to get the rippers to start with then getting a drill bit the right size then turning up a mandrel and hold it in a drill chuck or collect chuck ( my preferred method ) the first mandrel i used i made about 4 before it snapped :(( the decided since the only other thing that was going to handle a little flexing when not supported with tail stock is to use one of the acrylic blanks finished to 12k the car polish then glued the cover in place
if anyone wants to see the process just let me know and i can post some pics

Christos
24th March 2012, 02:05 PM
Looking good, hope they sell?

sturina
24th March 2012, 08:27 PM
would love to see the process. I havent had much luck with consistancy with my efforts on seem rippers. Where do you get your kits? They all look good

mkypenturner
24th March 2012, 08:42 PM
would love to see the process. I havent had much luck with consistancy with my efforts on seem rippers. Where do you get your kits? They all look good
will try and do a few tomorrow arvo and will drag out the camera to show process for you

Ironwood
24th March 2012, 08:53 PM
They look good Troy,
Have you made a closed end mandrell to hold them ?

Do you buy them as kits or just rob the parts off bought ones ?

mkypenturner
24th March 2012, 08:59 PM
Have you made a closed end mandrell to hold them ?

Do you buy them as kits or just rob the parts off bought ones ?
the kits are from the sewing supplies near the light at the mater on the nth side

and the mandrel is a pretty crude thing , it started out as a peice of corian that fitted down the hole but it snapped after a few so i decided to use a pen blank that i had a heap of and turned it down to a taper that it just needs a gentle tap to hold it on , tailstock used till turning and finishing the end every now and again its slips but a whack put its back :rolleyes:

Ironwood
24th March 2012, 09:02 PM
the kits are from the sewing supplies near the light at the mater on the nth side

and the mandrel is a pretty crude thing , it started out as a peice of corian that fitted down the hole but it snapped after a few so i decided to use a pen blank that i had a heap of and turned it down to a taper that it just needs a gentle tap to hold it on , tailstock used till turning and finishing the end every now and again its slips but a whack put its back :rolleyes:

If it works dont knock it :2tsup:.

Christos
25th March 2012, 10:58 AM
If it works dont knock it :2tsup:.

O the puns. :harhar:

artme
25th March 2012, 09:36 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: