PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Willy Nelson
25th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Good Morning All

I recently purchased the Mini Jet lathe (with Electronic Variable Speed).
I was able to sell my old Delta Midi and as soon as the space was made available, put the Jet in.

I weighed up a number of little lathes and it came down to the Vicmarc Mini or the Jet. In the end, I decided that the Vicmarc is not three time better as the Jet, as the cost difference was three times, I bought the Jet for $750 (yeah, freight kills us in WA).

As I ruined my back recently and have just returned home from a spine operation, so my son set up the Jet for me. I have owned it for nearly two weeks and am yet to turn anything on it. I bought the little Jet purely for pens. The mighty Durden Top Turn still holds pride of place in the workshop.

Hopefully can get back to turning in a month or so

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

nz_carver
25th March 2012, 12:47 PM
Nice one mate nothing like a new lathe

Willy Nelson
25th March 2012, 12:54 PM
What I forgot to mention was how quiet the Jet runs. I normally wear hearing protection, but the jet is whisper quiet.

I just realised, I probably should have posted this thread in the Pen Making forum, oh well

Willy

HazzaB
25th March 2012, 03:28 PM
Hey Willy,

Nice little lathe there, until I read the part about the Electronic Variable speed, I was wondering why you didn't go with the little Woodfast, I brought one to do the Mining Company job and it hasn't missed a beat. I even take it to Demo's for the Woodturners and also to the Novice classes at Woodturners.

Good luck with the recovery, just do what the docs and physio say and all should be good, don't rush it

HazzaB

Cliff Rogers
25th March 2012, 03:53 PM
:2tsup:

orificiam
25th March 2012, 06:24 PM
Good Buy Willy, :2tsup: Hope you back gets better soon.

Cheers Tony.:)

Ad de Crom
25th March 2012, 07:24 PM
Willy, nice little lathe you have now for pen turning, although can turning also some other stuff on this lathe. And watch your back.
Ad :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
25th March 2012, 08:25 PM
Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Yes, for the first time, I am following the Doctors orders, well, for this week anyway.
No driving, lifting more than 2kg, no outside walking etc. So all I have done is sit around (little painful) and laid in bed. Not happy

Hazza
I am a big fan of Vicmarc, but they are expensive. I think the Jet is an excellent lathe, didn't look at Woodfasts, in fact, don't even know who the agent is in WA.
Many jets I know don't miss a beat, although I notice that mine is exactly over endowed with torque. Once the back gets better, I will give it a test run.
Thanks for your well wishes
Cheers
Willy

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2012, 08:36 PM
happy new lathe

treat the back with respect and hope it gets heaps betterer

Christos
25th March 2012, 08:38 PM
Hope you are feeling better and get to use the new lathe.

artme
25th March 2012, 09:30 PM
Good for you Willy!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Take care with the back.