PDA

View Full Version : Is Elm OK and how to preserve.

Warwick Haslam
25th March 2012, 06:54 PM
My 1st thread, just joined.
Having a large elm (ulmus picturata) removed from beside my house as it is slowly demolishing it.
Is it any good for turning and if so how do I preserve it?
I cut down an Alda and tried to preserve by lacquering the whole pieces of trunk but it split.
Have a Jet lathe but not really used yet.
Turned as a young bloke and now hoping to restart.
Would classify self as beginner.
Hoping to make some contacts with others in Canberra A.C.T.

rsser
25th March 2012, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Elm is a good turning timber and under-rated.

Best to have the pith cut out and with half logs cut to a length you want, in the short term cover the end grain with kitchen wrap if you have no dedicated sealer.

Keep the bits in the shade.

To properly seal the end grain use paraffin wax melted in an old electric frypan or buy some paint-on sealer. For more info Google is your friend or use the search function on this forum.

Warwick Haslam
25th March 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks rsser

steck
25th March 2012, 09:21 PM
I agree with everything Ern said.
I picked up some fresh Elm logs from a tree loppers dump site. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. The largest piece gave me a 40 cm bowl with no splits.
I recommend turning the wood green into a rough bowl and then drying it wrapped up in thick paper. If you want more info on this, let me know.

Christos
25th March 2012, 11:03 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Have fun on the forum and turning. Do search on forum and ask questions if you become stuck.

Cliff Rogers
26th March 2012, 12:04 AM
Photos of stuff turned from Elm pop up in the Woodturning Mag from the UK all the time, I love to have a go at a bit. :2tsup:

Acco
26th March 2012, 12:11 AM
Photos of stuff turned from Elm pop up in the Woodturning Mag from the UK all the time, I love to have a go at a bit. :2tsup:

Hey Cliff, can bring some Elm that came from the Studley Park Boathouse on the Yarra to 's when you're down if you want or post it to you.

Was cut down and milled nearly ten years ago

Cliff Rogers
26th March 2012, 12:14 AM
Yes please.

I'll send some of my gear home on Friday arvo so I can take more on the plane with me.

Something to make a platter out of would be good. :2tsup:

Acco
26th March 2012, 12:17 AM
Ok, will have a look at what I have during the week and let you know

issatree
26th March 2012, 03:54 AM
Hi All,
Picked some dry Elm up on Fri. last, as I only use up to 5in.- 125mm. but was disappointed that it had Shakes on every piece I picked.
I'll be able to get around it, & this is not the 1st. time I have come across this species of Elm. The Elm from Bacchus Marsh, Vic. is great as it has no Shakes, & I'm not aware of the different Elms.
There was a Lady & Man Team & they just chipped the lot.

oldsaundy
26th March 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi, I am a know nothing about some of the timbers. We have what they call a "chinese elm" is that the same?