PDA

View Full Version : bottlebrush bowls with embelishment

turnerted
27th March 2012, 09:49 PM
G'day
Here are a couple of bottlebrush bowls that I have played around with embelishing their rims.The bowls are about 230mmx70mm
The flutes in the rims were cut with a trimmer router swinging on an arm mounted on the banjo.The rims were then flamed with a gas torch then polished with a rag to remove loose ash .The bowls were then finished with about four coats of D.O.
1. The two bowls.
2. Side view of one bowl.
3. Closeup of the rims.One was cut with the router on the center line and the other about 50mm below center which puts the flutes at a slight tangent . Next time I will I will cut further offcenter.
4.The router setup .
Ted

wheelinround
27th March 2012, 10:03 PM
Ted they look well done pardon the pun :U

I couldn't see an indexer but guess it might be the handwheel side.
The swingarm set up looks good,:2tsup::2tsup: but as I can see in towards the centre the cut has diverted. Could I suggest a support under the router end.

Oh how did you get time to do these when away up north, missed seeing you at Kiama (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/kiama-yearly-event.html).

powderpost
27th March 2012, 10:18 PM
Looking good Ted.. :2tsup:
Jim

artme
27th March 2012, 10:49 PM
I've always found bottle brush a bit disappointing but Th rim treatment you have used certainly adds character.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
27th March 2012, 10:56 PM
......The flutes in the rims were cut with a trimmer router swinging on an arm mounted on the banjo.............4.The router setup .
TedI like the random, carved look you got with the grooves - more effective than the precision indexed look we always see :2tsup:

turnerted
28th March 2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments.
Ray ,I didn't use an indexer. I just controlled the rotation with the brake wheel which is out of the picture to the left .I deliberately made the cuts random and found I could make the flutes curve slightly by just pressing down on the arm partway through the swing .I cut on the in and out swings .Each rim probably took less than ten minutes to cut .
I had these done before I went to Turnfest.

nalmo
28th March 2012, 11:08 AM
I got a similar effect by attacking the rim of the bowl with an angle grinder in a series of random grooves. No need for a gas torch, the disc blackened the cuts by friction alone.

Cliff Rogers
28th March 2012, 01:30 PM
:2tsup:

wheelinround
28th March 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Ray ,I didn't use an indexer. I just controlled the rotation with the brake wheel which is out of the picture to the left .I deliberately made the cuts random and found I could make the flutes curve slightly by just pressing down on the arm partway through the swing .I cut on the in and out swings .Each rim probably took less than ten minutes to cut .
I had these done before I went to Turnfest.

Thanks Ted nice spacing for free hand still looks great effect.

hughie
28th March 2012, 05:01 PM
Good one Ted. :2tsup: keeps me motivated to have a go a couple of bottle brush blocks I have

Willy Nelson
29th March 2012, 11:39 PM
I really liked the effect you have achieved, well done.
Possibly my only critism was the thickness of the rim, but I liked the overall form.

Looks like your Vicmarc has seen some use

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

turnerted
30th March 2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the comments
Willy. I agree with you about the thickness of the rim and yes the Vicmarc does plenty of work . Probably four or five hours most days .
Ted