PDA

View Full Version : Think I have proved that gardening is good for you

Phil Spencer
29th March 2012, 07:24 PM
I suffer from Hypertension and have to take maximum doses of several available drugs on top of that I have an Angina problem, enough background.

Today I decided to do some gardening, I am in the middle of pulling out some well rooted plants to prepare the bed for a new scheme. it is hard bloody work some of these plants would have been easier to blast out with explosives.

When I started my Blood Preasure was a healthy 140/80 the tablets were working, after about four hours and being totally buggered I was surprised to see my Blood Pressure had doped to 90/56 no wonder I was buggered.

Is this normal for ones BP to drop so much after a bit of hard work? Or is gardening really good for you? On the bright side I had no chest pains.

Scott
29th March 2012, 09:06 PM
First off, I'll divulge that I'm an Nurse (ICU) but I'll add a disclaimer. Your Doctor's advice will be better than mine.

3 possible reasons Phil.

Firstly, you probably were not hydrated enough. Was it a hot day and how much fluid did you drink while you were in the garden? If you don't have enough fluid aboard then your blood pressure will be low. You should be drinking at least 2 litres of water a day unless you're on a fluid restriction. Drink more if exercising or spending time in a hot shed or gardening.

Secondly, your medications could of been working too well. If so, speak to your Doctor to get the meds adjusted. Just to make sure, check your blood pressure at the same time tomorrow without gardening or any strenuous work.

Thirdly, some peoples blood pressure can be low because of an altered heart rhythm. Check your pulse next time. If it's regular and between 80-100, your okay. If it's irregular, then see your doctor or call and ambulance. If it's regular and fast (greater than 100) then your dehydrated and need fluid.

There are three or so broad categories of blood pressure medications, they all work in different ways. Sometimes it's best to have one type in the morning and the other type in the afternoon.

Hope this helps and as I said, speak to your Doctor if your blood pressure is low. A low blood pressure like you had can be very dangerous. Were you feeling dizzy?

dabbler
29th March 2012, 09:10 PM
No expert but .....
BP should rise during exercise. Drop after a shortish period of rest.
Medications may change this a bit but generally it should follow this pattern.

Heart rate much the same pattern with exercise.
Again, medication can alter this pattern.

The time to recovery/return to normal is one measure of fitness as is the max BP and max HR during exercise. Your GP or an exercise physio should know your target numbers.

I'd be thinking of a chat with my GP. At least to seek real medical advice.
Might be stress test time.

Anyone that knows for certain that this is wrong please let me or the mods know in case this post needs deleting.

From a recovering stroke survivor.

Scott
29th March 2012, 09:23 PM
Also pretty sure that no chest pain is not necessarily indicative of no heart disease.

You had some reasonable points there however this is one is very false. You can get what you call silent chest pain. Heart disease can manifest in other ways as well other than chest pain.

Phil Spencer
29th March 2012, 09:42 PM
First off, I'll divulge that I'm an Nurse (ICU) but I'll add a disclaimer. Your Doctor's advice will be better than mine.

3 possible reasons Phil.

Firstly, you probably were not hydrated enough. Was it a hot day and how much fluid did you drink while you were in the garden? If you don't have enough fluid aboard then your blood pressure will be low. You should be drinking at least 2 litres of water a day unless you're on a fluid restriction. Drink more if exercising or spending time in a hot shed or gardening.

Secondly, your medications could of been working too well. If so, speak to your Doctor to get the meds adjusted. Just to make sure, check your blood pressure at the same time tomorrow without gardening or any strenuous work.

Thirdly, some peoples blood pressure can be low because of an altered heart rhythm. Check your pulse next time. If it's regular and between 80-100, your okay. If it's irregular, then see your doctor or call and ambulance. If it's regular and fast (greater than 100) then your dehydrated and need fluid.

There are three or so broad categories of blood pressure medications, they all work in different ways. Sometimes it's best to have one type in the morning and the other type in the afternoon.

Hope this helps and as I said, speak to your Doctor if your blood pressure is low. A low blood pressure like you had can be very dangerous. Were you feeling dizzy?

Thanks for the info Scott
I think that I was dehydrating, it was warm and sunny I was going like 40 bastards and not drinking. The doctor has me on Fluid tablets also (I take Isopton SR and Attacand Plus) I suppose I were not drinking because of the obvious reason I have to keep coming inside to pee, take the boots off and all that stuff Mrs Phil won't let me pee in the garden and seeing that I was out the front well.....

I just checked my BP monitor and pulse was OK 88 so I think that you are right I should have been drinking more I will next time.

Thanks.

Phil Spencer
29th March 2012, 09:47 PM
You had some reasonable points there however this is one is very false. You can get what you call silent chest pain. Heart disease can manifest in other ways as well other than chest pain.

My problem with the Jam Tart is arterial spasms brought on by severe emotional stress, I have no blockages and can put in the physical labour with out any hassles. Get me involved in the politics of the workplace or arguments and off I go have to drag out the Nitrolingual and have a rest.

It was for this reason my doctor retired me, I was using it four times a day at work and haven't had to use it in seven months since stopping.