PDA

View Full Version : Terquise inlayed Mesquite Bowl

phillywood
1st April 2012, 04:35 PM
I recently made this in March 2012 as a gift to my 82 year old mother. She was very proud as she didn't know that I can do this then she bragged about it to whoever could see it. It's made fromTexas native tree Mesquite. It's very sturdy wood and very forgiving in that if youmake a mistake you can patch it and continue. It tools easly and holds up very well.
sorry, I didn't get chance to measure it before I gave it to her, but form what I can recall it's about 7" in diameter and 6.5" tall. It naturally had some cracks in it that I found it to use tuquise to fill it with the help of CA glue and 15 min. epoxy.
thanks for looking and enjoy it. This must have been my 10th creation and along the way I had many catches and blow ups.

turnerted
1st April 2012, 04:40 PM
phillywood
The picture didn't post.
Ted

craftyCAD Cam
2nd April 2012, 02:05 AM
G'day Philly,
Nice bowl, it's always a good feeling to surprise a loved one with the things you can create.

That turquoise gives a very interesting effect.I've not seen that before. Is the turquoise in a powder form that is mixed with the epoxy?

Cam

phillywood
2nd April 2012, 09:13 AM
G'day Philly,
Nice bowl, it's always a good feeling to surprise a loved one with the things you can create.

That turquoise gives a very interesting effect.I've not seen that before. Is the turquoise in a powder form that is mixed with the epoxy?

Cam
Cam, the terquise is in little chuncks and pieces and the larger crevice which was natural was deep and so I used what I could find to fill the holes and then ground some of it in morter and pestle inot fine grind, on the smaller holes I used the CA glue then Terq. ground and then CA again and was careful not to raise it too much so I don't have to sand it for a long time also used 180 grit sand paper with sanding wheel and worked it all the way to 600 grit for consistency.
I am willing to send you a box of 12"x12"x6" of the mesquite if you'd like to see how it works in exchnge of something form your area that won't grow in S. Texas. How would you like that?

artme
2nd April 2012, 10:16 AM
Nice bowl Philly!!. No wonder your mother was so proud!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Apparently there is Mesquite growing in parts of Australia, but it is and invasive exotic pest. Makes good firewood.

Willy Nelson
2nd April 2012, 11:13 AM
Good work there Philly.
Mesquite is also superb as a flavour for smoking, although Hickory is by far my favourite.
I was surprised at the colour and grain in your bowl, is that typical of mesquite?
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

phillywood
2nd April 2012, 01:03 PM
Nice bowl Philly!!. No wonder your mother was so proud!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Apparently there is Mesquite growing in parts of Australia, but it is and invasive exotic pest. Makes good firewood.

Sorry, you didn't post any name in your profile for me to address you.
Yes, mesquite I rekon will grow in the Souther part of your country had anyone took the seed and palnted it. It needs very warm or hot climate and it's indeed invasive. It'll grow anywhere you throw the seeds. Her in San Antonio, S. TX, USA we have very hot and humid weather and every corner you look at every block you'll see this tree and it whitstands any storm ,draught lack of water and you name it. they use this for BarBeque down here and it also is very flavorful and good for fire wood. When it comes to turning it's the best wood you can find for a newbie like me since it's very sturdy and fogiving. If you screw up during the turning with alittle inginuty you can fix it and go about your turning.
I am not sure which species you have up there, but if you are in BBQ mood I can send you some chips and you can soak it in the water about 30 min. before putting the meet on the gril and you'll eat your fingers w/the food.
BTW, my wife taught Spec. Ed for many years and now she is assistant director for the school district. Youguys must be very special people to hande special kids like that.

phillywood
2nd April 2012, 01:08 PM
Good work there Philly.
Mesquite is also superb as a flavour for smoking, although Hickory is by far my favourite.
I was surprised at the colour and grain in your bowl, is that typical of mesquite?
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland
Whilly, this wood is so interesting that I have seen it in grayish tone, orangy tone and most that I get is the color of Mahogony like mine. I will make the burl fo it as soon as I can get the lathe fixed. Like I said I'll be glad to send anyone a piece for the exchange of something of your country that won't grow here.
I try to post pictures of the logs as I harvest them.
Willy, the other thing was the finish on this wood was salad bowl finish I thin about six coats and I bought the finish a local wood craft store. When I want to see how the wood will look like I ususaly wet it and it will reveal the grain.

cookie48
2nd April 2012, 01:49 PM
Very nice bowl. Do like your use of something different. Well done.

phillywood
2nd April 2012, 02:32 PM
Very nice bowl. Do like your use of something different. Well done.
Thank you,Sorry you don't have a name for me to address you properly.

phillywood
3rd April 2012, 03:40 PM
Well today I made a very interesting discovery. I was wrong about the cost of a large flat rate box to Australia, it is not $15.95 it would be $60.00 instead, so those of you who voiced a concern you were right and I ahve to figure out a way to get osem wood to you guys and in return keep it fair for you guys to send me something in return. Or, I amy have to pay arm and two legs instead and try to find some wood supplier who wil eat my lunch as well as my dinner and my next day breakfast to sell me a piece of Aussie wood.:(:o:no:
Unless someone feels that I may have a chance here.