PDA

View Full Version : Can i turn end grain (beginner)

tomo_scotto
5th April 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi,
So i recently bought a lathe and have some offcuts of merbau the problem is that the grain is perpendicular to the lathe rather than parralel will that matter.

tea lady
5th April 2012, 06:43 PM
Yes you can turn end grain. I presume you are making a hollow form of some sort like a little bowl. Different direction of cut is needed so that you as cutting "down the grain". It is not really a beginner thing though. Here are some you tube.

Open Form End Grain Hollowing - YouTube

You can also just do some spindle turning. Make some candle stick holders.

RETIRED
5th April 2012, 07:25 PM
I would not recommend any beginner or even some advanced turners use the Richard Raffan cut until you have really practised and I mean really practised.

A far safer method is the other one but in my opinion his execution is wrong in as much that pivoting the handle only can have some detrimental consequences.

If you have the 21st free, why don't you come down and I will show you.

Info here.http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cliff-invading-forum-gtg-149340/

You are more than welcome and you might learn something.:D

tea lady
5th April 2012, 09:37 PM
So adding end grain hollowing to the list!:D

Tim the Timber Turner
6th April 2012, 11:04 AM
I would not recommend any beginner or even some advanced turners use the Richard Raffan cut until you have really practised and I mean really practised.

Hi !

I'm not clear on this one.:(

If you recommend not to use this cut, how are we able to practice it??:?

Happy Easter

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
6th April 2012, 11:11 AM
Hi !

Happy Easter

Cheers

Tim:)Practice other stuff. :doh: Which then makes it eaasy to tackle this cut cos you know how the wood and the chisel work together. :p

Tim the Timber Turner
6th April 2012, 12:02 PM
Practice other stuff. :doh: Which then makes it eaasy to tackle this cut cos you know how the wood and the chisel work together. :p

Hi Tea Lady

I'm still not clear on this. :?

I would have thought that experienced turners would have had plenty of practice on other stuff. Yet some of us are advised not to use this method. Who are these people. What are their names??

Hmm!! I am feeling a bit argumentive today. Not the Easter spirit is it?

On a more serious note I thought the video was a dog's dinner of hollowing methods.

RR cuts with the gouge upside down on the R/H side with the wood passing the cutting edge on the up side. The front left hand front shoulder of the hollowing is used to lever the gouge into the wood. As the hollowing gets larger in diameter it becomes more difficult to use the shoulder to lever against. For this reason this method of hollowing is limited to smaller items like goblets and small boxes. As the tool wants to lift off the tool rest, to use this method a firm grip with downward pressure is needed.

Cheers

Happy Easter

Cheers

Tim :)

RETIRED
6th April 2012, 12:52 PM
Hi !

Happy Easter

Cheers

Tim:)What I meant and I should have put this in is " Until shown by someone who knows how to do this cut do not try it."

IMO the bloke doing it on the video is doing it wrong. You need to have the exit point at 12 - 1 o'clock at the exit to maintain tool rest support. At his exit point the tool can be forced downward and backward into the timber.

On a more serious note I thought the video was a dog's dinner of hollowing methods.

RR cuts with the gouge upside down on the R/H side with the wood passing the cutting edge on the up side. The front left hand front shoulder of the hollowing is used to lever the gouge into the wood. As the hollowing gets larger in diameter it becomes more difficult to use the shoulder to lever against. For this reason this method of hollowing is limited to smaller items like goblets and small boxes. As the tool wants to lift off the tool rest, to use this method a firm grip with downward pressure is needed.

Cheers

Happy Easter

Cheers

Tim :)Agreed.

tea lady
7th April 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi Tea Lady

I'm still not clear on this. :?

I would have thought that experienced turners would have had plenty of practice on other stuff. Yet some of us are advised not to use this method. Who are these people. What are their names??

Hmm!! I am feeling a bit argumentive today. Not the Easter spirit is it?

Cheers

Tim :)Maybe "Practice other stuff correctly first"? Not naming names, but one guy that was trying to show me how to do something has a scare in the middle of his forhead from the demo. I guess that was the wrong way. :doh:

Turning yesterday at 's, I was green turning some bowls. I guess I could have done it the way I was doing it, but just tweaked my angles a little (even though it was annoying at the time :doh: ) and things happened a lot easier and faster. Thanks for being annoying .:kiss:

Grumpy John
8th April 2012, 08:37 AM
Maybe "Practice other stuff correctly first"? Not naming names, but one guy that was trying to show me how to do something has a scare in the middle of his forhead from the demo. I guess that was the wrong way. :doh:

Turning yesterday at 's, I was green turning some bowls. I guess I could have done it the way I was doing it, but just tweaked my angles a little (even though it was annoying at the time :doh: ) and things happened a lot easier and faster. Thanks for being annoying .:kiss:

And you learned how to hollow out using only one hand :D.

NeilS
9th April 2012, 11:59 AM
OK, to do Richard Raffan's 'back cut' correctly you do it this way (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videoclips/hollowing.mpg).

RETIRED
9th April 2012, 12:14 PM
Yep. I have taken the liberty of adding the notes accompanying this video by Brian Clifford at The Woodturners Workshop (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/)

The Raffan Cut

Points to note

I believe this cut is generally known as the Raffan Cut although I think it possible that he would not claim to have invented it.
It is a useful for quickly making small hollows for items such as egg cups and scoops. I understand that some turners use it for hollowing bigger items such as bowls. It should be used as a roughing cut to be followed by conventional finishing cuts.
In order to save on bandwidth the clip is not continuous but shows 3 stages in making the cut.
Notice that the cutting tip is positioned at 12 o-clock. The rest is used as a fulcrum for the upward cut. The back of the tool may also rest against the rim of the hollow.