PDA

View Full Version : TKO's Spoke wheel jig

TKO
7th April 2012, 03:05 PM
Hi to all ,this is my Jig I have used for many years now, and it allows me to make small or large hubs or naves as some call them,,the gear wheels I use are from my lathe ,but i have saved a lot of gear wheels from other machines that I have come across mostly printers and type writers,they also have many small chains and sprockets that would suit the wooden models,any way a few pics of my Jig,the small screw on the base plate allows the degree to be set up in the vice for the spoke angle,hope this is clear,,,,,.

Cheers Edwin .

AUSSIE
7th April 2012, 11:51 PM
Hi TKO
This wheel jig belongs in it own post in the best of the best wheel section:2tsup:
Added later-- I mean the Mods should post it there ,as it is a top posting.Sorry to confuse you TKO

TKO
8th April 2012, 03:14 PM
G,day Aussie,Now I am confused as to where I should post.:C

elderly
8th April 2012, 05:21 PM
Your post is fine here Edwin if it is to go in the best of the best a mod will put it in there. Great jig.
Cheers Elderly

TKO
8th April 2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Elderly,being confused is dangerous:no:I thought that I might have hijacked Aussies thread,So to further help if I can, I will show the way I make a wagon wheel
rim using fellies as done in reall practice,or close, Ist pic is the jig I use, pic2is the segments cut and glued together, pic 3,is fixed in the lathe, then the cutting to size, I like where posible to fix the steel or brass tire on which helps keeping the very small pieces together as a bit of heavy handedness and the lot all comes adrift,and believe me it happens, if you like to peg the spokes through the rim then just remove the rim after you have glued the spokes in position , but the steel rim will save you heart ache,

Cheers Edwin.

elderly
10th April 2012, 12:45 PM
I hope this goes into the best of the best it certainly deserves to be there.
Cheers Elderly.

TKO
10th April 2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Elderly This wheel making seems to be all over the place ,would be good if it was all together ,so that any one making a wheel can view it all ,and choose which type of Jig they want to use,,Hope I havent put my foot in my mouth,any way thinking about the last post with the jig to hold the spokes in position I relized that not all would under stand what I was about,So I had some old spokes that were not up to scratch, I have glued a couple in the position they would be in the Jig that I have posted, ( I think I posted it) showing how you would get all the spokes to the correct length, by carefully turning the spokes they will all be sanded to the correct size and end shape to fit the rim,the small brass nob allows you to be able to move the spokes nearer to rhe sander after each spoke has been around once to sand off more, when correct size,fit rim glue in spokes and you can drill and pin for added strengthen then fit Iron Tyre, use washers under the nave or hub to get the correct dish I hope this is clearer than mud.
This is one way to make a scale wagon wheel.

Cheers Edwin.

AUSSIE
10th April 2012, 08:23 PM
Your Wheel making talent and posting is top notch TKO. I don’t think the Mods responsible for posting in the best of the best realizes how much skill and knowledge has gone into your designs. To have someone as talented as you spending the time helping us upgrade our skills is just fantastic.
I spent many-many hours before I worked out how to make fine wagon wheels to scale. Shaping the spokes, setting up the drill jig for the offset ,rolling the steel tyres,even turning the hubs at the same when I come to think about it LOL. If we had you posting back when I started , it would have made life a lot easier
To find the Best of the Best click HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/wheel-making-137379/) then HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f64/best-woodwork-forums-16776/#post142383) then scroll down to Wheel Making Models This keeps them all together,but they all need to be here not just the odd ones if it is going to work.
I did notify the Mods about moving your post as soon as I saw it days ago

mardtrp
10th April 2012, 09:58 PM
Eventually--------- hooray----------- at last ------ about BL@@DY time-------- someone has eventually shown how it should and can be done, to make a proper SCALE MODEL WHEEL for SCALE model horse drawn vehicles, congratulations Eddie. :2tsup:

So a question to to the 'mod' of this section, are you going to remove all the other "-orst of the -orst " posts, on how 'you' reckon it should be done, or at the very least, relegate those horrible others posts over to the toy section, where they really DO belong ? :puke:

Eddie, why are you using pegs in the spoke ends that are going into the hub, why not square out each hole in the hub, then drive the spokes into the hub as they should be done ?
They do tend to stay in place a lot longer and are a lot firmer, than those pegs your using. :?

Mark

TKO
10th April 2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks to you all, I thought I had posted the jigs with the nail and wood posts , it looks like I have missed out posting them ,the 4th pic in the last post was the old Jigs that I would have shown,If I had managed to post,sorry about that.:doh:

Well Mark, that is the correct way as you say to make square holes in the nave or hub,and tap them in, but it is just a way I have used, to explain the Jig I was using,
This is the method used by John Thompson ,who has wrote many books on the subject.

I used the same method thirty years ago and no wheels have come adrift yet, and to make slots againts round holes ,is up to the person making the model,,If you are going to make it exact to scale yes that would be the way to go ,remember of course the Scale ,the Correct Timber,and Steel , not to much Brass was used in the main building of a Wagon, Carriege or Coach,,But when its all painted who will know what was used , and if it looks right ,then I think its a good job. and believe me plenty of what was never used goes into the models and you will never know,unless told,and they make exelent models,

If I was making a wagon not strictly to scale, and it would be getting a lot of handling by children I would probaly use the square hole method.for the strength.
And thanks Aussie.

Cheers Edwin

elderly
11th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Mardtrp it is clear that you are on this forum to cause trouble and not to win friends but having said that I am sure that someone that hands out criticism like you do must produce some brilliant work. I would love to see some of it.
Cheers Elderly.

TKO
12th April 2012, 03:01 PM
I would just like to add to Elderlys post,I also would like to think a person making an observation about another persons post ,with a question or criticising, would or should be admitting that they
have only read up about making scale models,or have made a scale or are making a scale model, in which case it would be nice to see some of the work they have done.or work in progress, But I have taken no offence at Marks observation.

Cheers Edwin.

munruben
13th April 2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your jig design with us Edwin. I was in London last week and had decided to purchase some mass produced spoked wheels but it was Easter saturday when I got around to going to the store and sue enough,, the store was closed over the Easter weekend so I have now decided to go back to making my own wheels.

your jig looks awesome.well done. :2tsup::2tsup:

crowie
13th April 2012, 10:45 PM
G'Day Edwin,
You sure are one very talanted and experienced craftsman.
THANK YOU for sharing the jig and your knowledge with those of us who are still very much learning the JOY of toymaking.
I for one very much appreciate all you experience and knowhow.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to take some beaut photos and writing up the explaination notes.
Thank you to the "mods" for adding such very well worthwhile knowledge into the "Best of the Best".
Again, Edwin, thank you.
Cheers, crowie

oven1944
26th October 2012, 12:51 AM
great looking jig there TKO, that would sure make it nice i'm a little ruff looking at that jig, ilike it tho
Gary,

eskimo
21st December 2012, 03:29 PM
Eddie
if the hub is glued and the rim is glued how do you get the spokes in?
or do you glue each felloe onto the spokes after you have all them all in?

the scale model plans I am using show dowels being pushed all the way thru the glued up rim
however it does show a scaled sketch showing how to make more authentic spokes sort of hex shape...but doesnt tell how to get them in once the felloes are glued up and then router shaped to form the rim

TKO
21st December 2012, 11:54 PM
Go to my jigs and it will show you how the spokes are fixed to the hubs by drilling holes around the hub in your case 14 holes drill a hole in the bottom of each spoke and use a tooth pick
for a dowel make a jig as shown glue each spoke into the hub while in the jig, they will then be in the correct position, carefully measure the internal measurement of the feloes then sand the spokes down as shown, you have to be careful while sanding them they are fragile,so just take it a bit at a time while turning the jig around when the feloes fit, glue up and check for running true,glue all the spokes in
first

Eddie

thinking about the way you are going to make the wheel I don't think it will be very successful unles you do it on lathe

eskimo
24th December 2012, 08:57 AM
Go to my jigs

do you have a page elsewhere on WWF showing the jigs?

oven1944
12th October 2013, 07:11 AM
good thread i enjoyed the coments in defence of my friend Eddie, hes one of the best wheel wrights i know as well as a very good man...
Gary...

holic46
17th December 2013, 04:34 PM
Hello TKO,
your jigs and process of making wheels is great, but, i am afraid that you missed a step. Do you have a jig or ease method of making spokes, and could you post them?
I am just about to start building Concorde Stagecoach and need all the help I can get. I am working from Ian Collins plans based on original 1820 Abbott & Downing design. I am trying to achieve museum quality model.
I was wondering if you have any jigs or construction methods for the rest of the coach (body or chassis). I would very much appreciate if you could pass them on.
Thanking you
John Labaj

Hi to all ,this is my Jig I have used for many years now, and it allows me to make small or large hubs or naves as some call them,,the gear wheels I use are from my lathe ,but i have saved a lot of gear wheels from other machines that I have come across mostly printers and type writers,they also have many small chains and sprockets that would suit the wooden models,any way a few pics of my Jig,the small screw on the base plate allows the degree to be set up in the vice for the spoke angle,hope this is clear,,,,,.

Cheers Edwin .

chubbs built
13th April 2017, 12:37 AM
Hi TKO i have been reading though this post and have become very interred but i am unable to find any photos could you please point me in the right direction.
Thanks Chubbs

Lappa
13th April 2017, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately, all photos from that time period have need lost - sorry.

crowie
13th April 2017, 04:27 PM
Hi TKO i have been reading though this post and have become very interred but i am unable to find any photos could you please point me in the right direction.
Thanks Chubbs

Send Eddie [aka TKO] an email or "PM"; he's a top bloke and very helpful so I'm sure he'd send you what you are looking for...Cheers, crowie

TKO
13th April 2017, 08:23 PM
Hi Peter been out of the wood work for the last 4 years restoring a car. just about finished but can't get the vent rubbers really sucks.

Hi Chubbs built, I will look out some pics that might help you on the wheels,but I don't know of any method to form spokes other than the tedeos way we all do and that is carve each one separatly.
Cheers Eddie

TKO
13th April 2017, 11:41 PM
410201 410202 410203

410204 410206
Chubbs built,
These pics should be self explanatory,if I write to much I will surely loose the lot
Sorry ,Eddie

TKO
14th April 2017, 12:01 AM
Hi, You need a lathe wood or metal both work with a chuck, going from left to right you can see how they are put together, but I always make the steel rims first, before I cut out the angled glued pieces for the fellies, have the rims press fit the moment I have trimmed the outer edges of the fellies as this makes sure that the cutter does not catch the wood when there is only a small area of wood exposed for the wood rim, thats a good safe guard I have broke pl,enty not using this method.If you need any thing with the wheels just ask.
Eddie

TKO
14th April 2017, 12:03 AM
410201 410202 410203

410204 410206
Chubbs built,
These pics should be self explanatory,if I write to much I will surely loose the lot
Sorry ,Eddie

mardtrp
14th April 2017, 10:10 AM
Tips and Ideas (http://www.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/(Tips%20&%20Ideas).htm#wheels)

steven
15th April 2017, 09:04 AM
Hi TKO, your attachments don't appear to have uploaded, can you please let me know if you received an error when you tried to add them to the post? I've checked the filesystem on the server and they're not there, unfortunately. I'll send you my email on PM so we don't clog up this thread with problem-solving.

thank you,

Steve