PDA

View Full Version : The Best Lathe

Babytoolman
15th February 2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
I have a dilema. I have worked extremly hard this past financial year and i am getting a bonus from work and my beautiful future wife has told me to go and get a new lathe. (sorry she is off the market and no siblings)
Currently i have an MC900 which is very tired and needs an overhaul. I also have a Jet Mini variable speed which is just great.
So i was looking at the VL300 which is $4,500 and i have talking to few guys down at the guild in the southern highlands and they all have a different opinion. So i know you all will as well and i know that there is allot of talk on here about lathes. I have around the $4,500 to spend so please give me you advise to help me make up my mind.

At the moment i think that the VL series is where i am leaning too.

Thanks in advance people.

powderpost
15th February 2005, 11:18 PM
The VL300 is an excellent machine, and it is Australian made, and so is the Teknatool electronic variable speed lathe, even if it is made in N.Z.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
16th February 2005, 02:25 AM
G'day.

VL300ESVX is what I have & it is just the duck's nuts mate.
I F'n love it.
http://www.vicmarc.com/Page.php?PageId=Lathes&LatheId=7

If you want to do LONG stuff & have the $ then go the VL300EVCM.
http://www.vicmarc.com/Page.php?PageId=Lathes&LatheId=18

It's a different story when it comes to chucks though.
I have 2 Vicmarc VM120 chucks, a Teknatool SuperNova & a SupreNovaII & I think the Teknatool SuperNovaII is the best value for money at the present time.

Little Festo
16th February 2005, 09:36 AM
I agree with Cliff. I also have a VL300ESVX and think it's great. I got the Enzo (Vermec) version with his electronics and a swing attachment for the tailstock.

if you enjoyed using the MC900 you'll absolutly love using the Vicmarc.

All the best with your new purchase - Peter

TimberNut
16th February 2005, 12:52 PM
Hey there,

I just went through the whole lathe buying process at the end of last year, and decided on a VL300 short bed. I have ordered the tailstock swivel attachment from Vermec and got some other mods specially made.

It's my second lathe, but now the first is collecting dust. I'm with Cliff - I F'n love it too!!! Should have done it years ago.

I did heaps of research into the controllers and motor options and if you pm me I'll give you my number. Would be happy to disseminate those details to you. Might save you a lot of time.

Ian

MathewA
16th February 2005, 12:59 PM
I presently own a Oneway 2436. If I get the green light to move to Aus I'm thinking of selling the Oneway and buying the Vicmarc VL300 long bed when I get there. When I was looking to upgrade here the VL300 long bed was my second choice. It only lost out because I believe the Oneway spindle bearing set up was better for sustained high rpms than the vicmarcs. I used to do a lot of production turning some time back and had replace the bearings in my old lathe about once a month. Thankfully I don't do that anymore and would find the vicmark up to 99% of the tasks I do now; I'm not sure how it would respond to turning metal.

For me I would never buy a short bed lathe. For the slight inconvenience of having to sit on the bed once in awhile to turn bowls it more than makes up for it in the versatility of being able to turn up to 50" long or mount a deep hollowing rig for real tall vessels. With the outboard turning attachment you'd have a sweet machine.:cool:

If you got it everyone would want to play at your house.:)

rsser
16th February 2005, 02:10 PM
Ah, this topic again. (I could say check previous posts but I won't ;-} ...)

The best lathe is the one that will competently do everything you want to do now with good latitude to cover your interests if they change.

So..

will you turn mainly or only bowls? (bed, short bed or no bed)

what size lumps of wood will you be spinning around? (hp and swing over bed; also chuck size)

will you expect to change your speeds often? (var speed or belt changes)

etc

Check out the Stubbies too.

Babytoolman
18th February 2005, 02:55 PM
Guys,
I appreciate the feedback and i am going for the VM 300 short bed. Thanks for the input and i will let you know about my joy when it arrives.