PDA

View Full Version : Another sad day

brendan stemp
10th April 2012, 07:15 PM
I dont mean to demean the other thread with similar name.

Two weeks ago I lost all internet connection. We rely on satelite broadband and the sattelites seem to have drited off course and are missing the fly over of my house. All other means of connecting are inadequate or unavailable (we live in a mobile phone black hole) except in my wifes office which is about two metres higher in elevation which is what I am using now. I rely on the internet quite a bit for my business and for keeping in touch on the forum so the 8 weeks that I have been told I will need to wait to get reconnected will be difficult.

The purpose of this thread is to let you all know of the difficulties I am having with communication via emails which I have come to rely on. It may seem as though I am ignoring some but the truth is different. If you want to contact me try my wife's email [email protected]

tea lady
10th April 2012, 08:05 PM
:CGoing to make it hard ot organize the you turn. Although I guess it nearly runs itself from here. (looking forward to it. :wave: )

No doubt you will get lots more stuff done though::rolleyes::U

sjm
10th April 2012, 08:55 PM
I live in a black hole too, and I make extensive use of the local library which has free wi-fi.

dai sensei
10th April 2012, 08:57 PM
Sounds more like a dodgy dongle. Have you taken it in to get it checked?

FenceFurniture
10th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Sounds more like a dodgy dongle. Have you taken it in to get it checked?

When I checked this thread this was the first post I read, AND I HAD NO IDEA what I was going to read in the first post!!!

I was very relieved (but empathetic to the real problem) to find that it was a comms problem, not a commode problem.

dabbler
10th April 2012, 09:11 PM
If 2 metres higher evelation will get a mobile signal - have you thought about fitting a mobile antenna?

There are options for most budgets (it may even be a diy fix) and there are even dongles that can accept an optional external antenna. Extension cables and connectors are similar to hands free car kit antennae.

Scott
10th April 2012, 10:17 PM
Hope it gets sorted soon Brendan.

artme
11th April 2012, 10:23 AM
Bloody amazing!! After all the skite we get from the dot coms and telecoms that these problems are so prevalent!!:~

The best Internet coverage I have run across in the parts of the world I have travelled is in Chile. Free in a great many places and dirt chap in the rest!!:):):)

Even on Easter Island the service is brilliant and cheap, as it is in Patagonia and along the entire length of the coast.

About time the clowns in Canberra kicked some backsides!:((

Jim Carroll
11th April 2012, 11:08 AM
Easy answer Brendan, kick penny out to the other office,:D

Mulgabill
11th April 2012, 01:32 PM
Steady on Jim!:o Do you know what you are suggesting:;

Jim Carroll
11th April 2012, 07:08 PM
Steady on Jim!:o Do you know what you are suggesting:;

I just wanted to see if he would do it, and get away with it:D

tea lady
12th April 2012, 09:10 AM
I just wanted to see if he would do it, and get away with it:Dbefore you try it yourself? :p:D

brendan stemp
12th April 2012, 03:01 PM
I creep in when she's not looking!! Such as now!

One good thing out of it (the silver lining) is that it (ie the inability for the current technology to deliver broadband connection to me) has made me eligible for connection to the NBN via new satelite technology. Only problem is I have to wait 8 weeks to get connected.

A Duke
12th April 2012, 05:06 PM
Makes me wonder if all the problems that seem to suddenly have intensified are not part of a big con job to get us on side with the NBN.
Regaeds

Jim Carroll
12th April 2012, 06:55 PM
before you try it yourself? :p:D

I have no problems, I have my office and Irene has the house :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
12th April 2012, 06:57 PM
. Only problem is I have to wait 8 weeks to get connected.

Think of all the extra work you will do not beign distracted by the computor

Cliff Rogers
12th April 2012, 07:24 PM
Satellites shouldn't 'drift off'.... I suspect that your dish has 'drifted off' & I have had to fix a few over the last couple of years.
There is usually a signal strength program that you can run while you adjust the dish.
You need somebody in front of the computer yelling out as it gets better or worse.

If you have a marginal mobile signal, you can get a Yagi Antenna for about $150 & attach it to a 'home gateway' with a wireless access point.

That is what we use up here, I gave up on the satellite because of the lag.

SawDustSniffer
12th April 2012, 09:14 PM
cocky's ate my aerial wire once , yes i blamed Telstra for 2 weeks , now i think they feed the cocky' s

dabbler
12th April 2012, 09:25 PM
cocky's ate my aerial wire once , yes i blamed Telstra for 2 weeks , now i think they feed the cocky' s
Cockies with or without feathers ?
Rats and mice can be a problem around here (too many palm trees) but the techs know that and are actually pretty good. They even wash their hands before running new cable.