PDA

View Full Version : Flesh eating bowl

turnerted
19th April 2012, 06:10 PM
Well fortunatly not quite, but hollowing a bowl like this sure keeps the mind focused.
I have been wanting to make a bowl like this for some time and I decided to have a go at this brown mallee burl . In addition I wanted to try a nested bowl . The shape of the burl was not ideal and meant that the mother bowl was quite lopsided.
To try and determine how to position the cutter on my woodcut bowl saver, I made a simple laser guide ( see my next post)and was disapointed that the inner bowl was so small . The cut was made using the maximum depth of the cutter .
I think If the mother bowl had been of greater diameter, and the rim of the bowl closer to level, I would have been able to get a better fit of the inner bowl but I had to work with what I had.
The outer bowl is 190mm OD X 120mm high at the highest point.The Inner bowl is145mm OD X 70mm high. The finish is DO
Comments welcome.

Ted

Scott
19th April 2012, 08:09 PM
You've pretty much done justice to the timber Ted, you should be pleased. Love the natural edge and how the sap wood is nice and wavy. Excellent piece :)

Acco
19th April 2012, 08:14 PM
:2tsup:

smiife
19th April 2012, 08:24 PM
hi ted,
nice job on the bowls,hope there was no flesh taken
how did you finish the bottom off?
i think they look great well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife :2tsup:

bench1holio
19th April 2012, 08:42 PM
both look great ted, well done :2tsup:

artme
19th April 2012, 08:43 PM
Always wondered about bowl savers in difficult situations Ted. Just goes to show what can be done.

The finish is great!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I wouldn't worry too much about the lop-sided look of the mother bowl, It adds a bit of character and interest.

Bluegum
19th April 2012, 08:53 PM
Well done Ted, Very impressive.:2tsup:

wheelinround
19th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Ted its amazing what nature gives us this is a nice form and grain well finished. Its has to be a proud peice to show off award winning really.:2tsup:

powderpost
19th April 2012, 09:19 PM
Good job Ted... :2tsup:
Jim

Skewturn
19th April 2012, 09:36 PM
:2tsup:Good work Ted I think the two bowls work well together and the natural edge on the bowls really set it off. Happy turning:U

mkypenturner
21st April 2012, 10:31 AM
very nice :2tsup: i also got a bowl saver , just wondering what it was like doing the burl ?

Paul39
21st April 2012, 10:36 AM
Absolutely Beautiful!!!

turnerted
21st April 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Smiife ,finishing the bottom was a challange. Even though I had a reference point on the tennon,I could not get it square on my vacuum chuck so I used the homemade transfer mandril as shown to mount the bowls .The mandril is just made from an
M30 3.5 nut and bolt . I had a mate tack weld the nut on then turn the head off so I could mount it in my jacobs chuck .
To use it , the bowl is held by its tennon in the chuck then the chuck screwed on the transfer mandril which is then fitted in the jacobs chuck on the tailstock .It is then offered up to the vacuum chuck and when held, the chuck removed and replaced by a cone live center then the tennon can be carefully removed .
A further complication was that my vacuum cleaner driven vacuum chuck was not powerfull enough to safely hold the bowl with the tail stock removed so I just took off as much as I was game.I then took the stub off with a saw.I then sanded the bottom by holding my cone sanding pad in the jacobs chuck mounted on the headstock and just hand held the bowl up against it as I went through the grades.
I have now started building a vacuum pump driven system.
Mkypenturner,This probably took about 10-15 minutes to core compared to about 3 minutes to core a green bowl.