PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Eccentric Chuck No 2

Woodchuck2
28th April 2012, 10:45 AM
Sorry folks if this is covered somewhere else but I couldn't raise much info. on it. Does anyone have experience with this accessory and if so can they offer any advice on set up. I have the ball insert and faceplate arrangement but haven't got round to using it yet. I tried to see Len Mengel demonstrating at the last Turnfest but missed out unfortunately.
Cheers,
Chas

Big Shed
28th April 2012, 11:05 AM
If you do a forum search on Escoulen there are quite a few hits on the eccentric chuck, manufactured by Vicmarc but designed by Jean francois Escoulen.

Doing the same search on Google will also come up with heaps of hits, including quite a few Youtube videos.

Here is one thread on the forum by Grumpy John, who owns one of these

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/vicmarc-escoulen-chuck-review-assesment-106887/

New Escoulen Eccentric Chuck - YouTube

Woodchuck2
28th April 2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Fred,
The one I have is actually No 2, not the Escoulen i.e. no lateral axis movement and counter weights. I want to try using the faceplate/ball arrangement in tandem with the tailstock to turn off centre candle holders
etc. from scratch but it appears that I'll have to get my stock into a nice cylinder to start with. The video was interesting and once again, thanks for your advice.
Cheers,