PDA

View Full Version : Tantung steel

robo hippy
1st May 2012, 05:12 AM
Well, with the huge number of carbide tipped tools available, I am looking into resurrecting a local tool used by the Oregon Myrtle wood bowl turners that has been called the Big Ugly tool. The traditional version is a 3/4 inch square by 30 inch long piece of cold rolled steel with a tantung steel (1/8 inch thick by 7/8 inch wide by 3 inch long) silver soldered (don't know exactly what that is, but is isn't what you use to solder copper pipe together) to both ends of the bar. A heavy leather glove was worn on the handle end. One end is ground more square, the other more fingernail. You sharpen in the morning, and then turn till lunch, then sharpen again after lunch, and turn till beer:30. The thing I liked about this, compared to the carbide is that it keeps as sharp of an edge, lasts almost as long, and you can sharpen it. While trying to find a source, I found this company, who is in your neck of the woods. This is not a manufactured type of tool, and is home made. Probably worth looking into, especially for your rock hard woods. A 6 inch by 1 inch by 1/8 inch piece runs around $50 here, and you score it with a grinder, then break it apart for 2 cutters. It is more durable that stellite, which is the cutting tip on the Woodcut bowl coring blades. I did find the 3/4 inch bar stock to be a bit top heavy and will probably use 3/8 inch stock.

ASTEG - Tantung Cutting Tools (http://www.asteg.com/07metalcut/TantungCuttingTools.htm)

robo hippy

dr4g0nfly
1st May 2012, 07:01 AM
The traditional version is a 3/4 inch square by 30 inch long piece of cold rolled steel with a tantung steel (1/8 inch thick by 7/8 inch wide by 3 inch long) silver soldered to both ends of the bar.

This is not a manufactured type of tool, and is home made. Probably worth looking into, especially for your rock hard woods.

ASTEG - Tantung Cutting Tools (http://www.asteg.com/07metalcut/TantungCuttingTools.htm)

robo hippy

I did not know these tools had a name, I've got four of them. I used to do some work for an Engineering training establishment who also did me an odd favour.

As they are different diameters I made 2 of them into 3 corner point tools and the other 2 into Coving tools.

I also use a metal lathe cut off tool as a parting off tool (equally hard stuff). I cut a slot in a piece of hardwood with the tablesaw and inset it with Epoxy Glue.

As fort silver soldering, It's done with hard Solder (Lead solder is 'Soft') and a blowtorch. I'm sure you local DIY shed will stock the stuff. You can also braze the two metals together.

hughie
1st May 2012, 06:59 PM
Robo,

These guys are only 30-40 minutes or so from my place. So I have sent them a email, if they dont reply will ring or maybe drive out there myself.

Wouldnt mind getting some of this tool steel as well. I see it wont anneal at 1500C :o wow. Thats how come it can be silver soldered, good stuff. :2tsup:

Will get back to you when they get back to me :U

Ironwood
1st May 2012, 07:05 PM
There's another thread about this stuff in the metalwork forum, sounds like good stuff.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/tantung-g-cutting-tools-148672/

dr4g0nfly
1st May 2012, 07:34 PM
The thing I liked about this, compared to the carbide is that it keeps as sharp of an edge, lasts almost as long, and you can sharpen it.
robo hippy

Something I didn't mention, It's damn hard to grind. It chews Pink Wheels up like crazy and the standard Grey ones are hard work.

If anyone works out what to grind these with I'd be happy to learn.

chambezio
1st May 2012, 08:20 PM
If this stuff will work as well as it sounds.......maybe a group buy could bring down the cost a little for a metal working mug like me. That link tp the metal work forum has a diamond tool holder doing a great job!!

hughie
1st May 2012, 08:44 PM
[]If this stuff will work as well as it sounds.......maybe a group buy could bring down the cost a little for a metal working mug like me. That link tp the metal work forum has a diamond tool holder doing a great job!![/

OK when I get some info I will put up a group buy thingy .

In the meantime anybody who is interested chime in here. When I contact them I can say 'that x number want to do business' etc

dr4g0nfly, it may well need the green slicone carbide grinding wheel. I will check that as well.

turnerted
1st May 2012, 09:42 PM
I wonder how a CBN wheel would handle it?
Ted

bowl-basher
1st May 2012, 10:57 PM
To "solder"this type of material you will need to use an SBA (silver brazing alloy)
grade 245 that is 45% silver will do the job but if you can get hold of some 330 or higher the 3 series has a small % of nickel and is the best for shock loaded application( large saw teeth) and is used with a suitable paste flux
have fun
Bowl_basher

dr4g0nfly
2nd May 2012, 06:56 AM
dr4g0nfly, it may well need the green slicone carbide grinding wheel. I will check that as well.

Thanks Hughie

robo hippy
2nd May 2012, 07:09 AM
I only got my first Big Ugly after I already had the matrix type CBN wheels. I now have the D Way wheels, and they work fine on the Tantung. I know the more standard wheels were used for sharpening this type of steel. Maybe ask the business there what they suggest for sharpening wheels.

robo hippy

Ironwood
2nd May 2012, 08:14 AM
I would be interested in the group buy, depending on what sizes were available and price of course.

Old Croc
2nd May 2012, 08:50 AM
Hughie,
I am interested also,
regards,
Crocy.

cookie48
2nd May 2012, 09:06 PM
Ok you have me there. Being a lot dumb I can not understand it all. Am I right in seeing that it will keep it's edge better and longer? If that is the case just how could it be made into wood working tools for turning? Sorry, but I did say I lot dumb.

TTIT
3rd May 2012, 12:07 AM
Looks interesting :think: I'm in!

chambezio
3rd May 2012, 12:35 AM
Hughie
I would be up for a couple of sticks of 1/4" X 1/4" for the diamond tool holder and may be a "flat" stick to make a tool for the wood lathe

Old Croc
3rd May 2012, 07:58 AM
Ok you have me there. Being a lot dumb I can not understand it all. Am I right in seeing that it will keep it's edge better and longer? If that is the case just how could it be made into wood working tools for turning? Sorry, but I did say I lot dumb.
Cookie, my main interest will be in making tips for my hollowing out tools and some discs for shear scraping. The 1st lot will be silversoldered on and the 2nd will be cut out with the plasma cutter and then sharpened on the green wheel. This steel sounds like our answer to high silica content timbers, that abrade HSS away in seconds,
hope this helps,
regards,
Crocy.

robo hippy
3rd May 2012, 01:31 PM
I would not cut it with a torch. It comes in various sized strips. You score it with a grinder and break it. For shear scrapers, maybe 1/8 inch thick, and soldered onto a standard scraper. I do not think you can drill it with anything except maybe diamond tipped drills.

robo hippy

hughie
3rd May 2012, 05:51 PM
The only round size I have in stock is ¼” round 4” long in stock 2 pieces @ $70.00 each plus GST and postage charges, I can get prices for the other sizes you are interested in, please advise.

A bit on the expensive side, may not be everyones cup of tea at these prices.

chambezio
3rd May 2012, 06:11 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!
With prices like that the stuff must be bloody marvelous (or should be) :U

hughie
5th May 2012, 12:58 PM
I have replied for further info, such as other sizes, method of cutting and sharpening etc.

Ironwood
5th May 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Hughie, I should have said before, but the size I am most interested in, is 1/4" x 1/4" to suit a diamond tool holder, same as Chambezio.

Cheers.

hughie
7th May 2012, 08:51 PM
Here we go this is the infi they have returned to me, not fully waht I asked but its a start.

chambezio
7th May 2012, 11:41 PM
Hughie,
That info is interesting. I wonder if 1/4" X 5/16" will fit into a diamond tool holder. I will have to have a fiddle and see. The parting tool blades are of interest too. Now we have to wait to see what the cost is, eh.
Do they seem reluctant to give you information? I would have thought a sale is a sale.

hughie
8th May 2012, 09:10 PM
[That info is interesting. I wonder if 1/4" X 5/16" will fit into a diamond tool holder. I will have to have a fiddle and see. The parting tool blades are of interest too. Now we have to wait to see what the cost is, eh.
Do they seem reluctant to give you information? I would have thought a sale is a sale

Yeah, me too, :? got me stuffed. But anyway have sent off another request for more info ie $$$ and lead time etc. I played on a group buy aspect to gave my request a bit more momentum

Lets see what happens.

hughie
20th May 2012, 11:23 AM
Ok no other takers? will put this to them next week and see what happens

hughie
29th May 2012, 11:40 AM
chambezio a couple of sticks of 1/4" X 1/4" X2

Ironwood I am most interested in, is 1/4" x 1/4" X2 ?

TTIT 1/4X1/4 X1

hughie 1/4X1/4 X1

TTIT
29th May 2012, 11:59 AM
:2tsup:

Ironwood
29th May 2012, 08:10 PM
Ironwood I am most interested in, is 1/4" x 1/4" X2 ?

I'll take one piece , but if price is good I would take 2 of.