PDA

View Full Version : dead finish vase

mkypenturner
2nd May 2012, 05:07 PM
hi guys
finally decided to get into the bigger stuff havent for a while :rolleyes:
anyway decided to make a big vase from dead finish with some natural edging on it
its about 350mm tall and 200mm at the bark , have nearly finished sanding the inside but as i dont have a spray gun whats anybodies thoughts for a finish ,
im leaning towards DO but open to ideas
will post some more pics when finished
cheers

Skewturn
2nd May 2012, 08:48 PM
:2tsup:Looking good .
Maybe a Danish Oil finish
Cheers Skewturn

cookie48
2nd May 2012, 08:55 PM
That looks great. Sorry but I have no idea on a finish. Hope you find the right one.

Ironwood
2nd May 2012, 09:07 PM
Nice work Troy.

I did something similar many moons ago, I soaked it with oil, (can't remember which one) then used wax, similar to Ubeaut traditional wax, worked it into the bark with a toothbrush, its still looking good to this day. Probably needs a dust off though.

John T
2nd May 2012, 09:21 PM
HI TROY
Just a question from a tassi wood turner, why is it called dead finish and where does it come from just interested to find out more about the wood.buy the way it looks mighty fine work:2tsup::2tsup:
regards john.

powderpost
2nd May 2012, 09:48 PM
Hi Troy, I would get a spray can of laquer and give it at least three coats. Dead finish will not need a grain filler. Applying a finish to the bark without spraying could give you some problems.
Jim

RETIRED
2nd May 2012, 09:52 PM
Dead Finish (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm)

TTIT
2nd May 2012, 11:13 PM
Definitely DO Troy :2tsup: It helps highlight the bark with less chance of it coming off later if you really flood it on. If you've sanded fine enough (and it looks like you have) the DO will be all the sheen you need without hiding the colour. Just how I would tackle it :shrug:

joevan
3rd May 2012, 11:06 AM
Hello Troy,
A very nice job indeed. Is the whole vase totally hollowed out or just the centre core? I am trying some hollow forms myself at the moment. Not an easy task. Will post some pictures next week.

Regards,
Joevan.

mkypenturner
3rd May 2012, 02:11 PM
Hello Troy,
A very nice job indeed. Is the whole vase totally hollowed out or just the centre core? I am trying some hollow forms myself at the moment. Not an easy task. Will post some pictures next week.

Regards,
Joevan.
Its only got a hole straight down about 50 mm diameter with a taper from the top
But I have sanded all the way down the hole

mick61
3rd May 2012, 05:13 PM
Nice job Dead finish also known as red lance wood. I beleive it`s called that because it`s used for violin lances.
Mick:D

Skewturn
3rd May 2012, 08:57 PM
Hi all What do dead finish bowl blanks go ($) for? The colours look awesome.
Cheers Skewturn

powderpost
3rd May 2012, 11:26 PM
I had a vase similar in shape and size in the lounge room. One warm Saturday afternoon there was a loud sharp "gun shot" in the lounge. After a quick change of under pants, and a look around, I found the vase had a crack down one side. The whole episode had quite a laxative effect. :oo:
Jim

dai sensei
4th May 2012, 04:14 PM
Nice one Troy, got to be one of my favourite timbers.

One of my first vases was from DF, there is a post on it here some where, unfortunately the X took it with her (along with almost everything else from the house :o) when she skipped whilst I was away :~.

mkypenturner
7th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Well looks DO has the majority ,any way first coat done on the outside,will do the inside tomorrow ,will post some more pics when finished