PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Your Shop-made Lathes

TexasTimbers
3rd May 2012, 10:26 AM
I'm about to finish getting the parts together for a large shop built lathe. I mean a beast. Before I embark on the endeavor however, I wanted to see as many shop-built lathes as I can. This is a large forum and I've always been impressed with the ingenuity of you Aussies. I guess like many of us rural Texans, many Aussies live in remote areas and so we just have to make do.

I hope there's a few of you out there that have made lathes from scratch no matter the size.

Cheers.

hughie
3rd May 2012, 06:04 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/diy-lathe-70958/

This thread is a bit long so heres the link only.

I made a smaller variety first as a dedicated bowl lathe, see pic below

issatree
3rd May 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi Hughie,
Now I'm not sure whether you run that Lathe on Coke or if it is used to Lubricate the Bowl Gouge.
Anyway that was a great make by you, looks very Professional.
Good Effort.

Pat
3rd May 2012, 06:25 PM
Up to Hughie's usual high standards of manufacture.

Hughie, When's the power to the shed & then the shed warming?:;

hughie
3rd May 2012, 06:28 PM
:hahaha: Our son work for Coke at the time.

But as for the lathe I'm gonna do a mod to it to give iot more speeds and run abit slower

Tim the Timber Turner
3rd May 2012, 06:31 PM
We here down under, are led to belive that things are always bigger in Texas!!!:roll:

I hope you don't let us down.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tim:)

chambezio
3rd May 2012, 07:34 PM
I just read through Hughie's lathe build and was wrapped but what happened in the end. I read the last thread on page 5 and that was where the story stopped. Is there a malfunction in the system or did Hughie never finish the lathe/story. Signed disappointed. :doh:

TexasTimbers
4th May 2012, 03:03 AM
We here down under, are led to belive that things are always bigger in Texas!!!:roll:

I hope you don't let us down.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tim:)

I don't know about that I think we get a bad rap. Seems to me Everything is bigger in Texas until you throw Australia into the mix. :U

Thanks for the link Hughie I'm gonna check that out even though it's not exactly the type of lathe I'm aiming for, I may yet get some idea from it plus it will be fun to read just because I'm a tool DIY tool junkie as much as a wood junkie.

Malcolm Eaton
5th May 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm about to finish getting the parts together for a large shop built lathe. I mean a beast. Before I embark on the endeavor however, I wanted to see as many shop-built lathes as I can. This is a large forum and I've always been impressed with the ingenuity of you Aussies. I guess like many of us rural Texans, many Aussies live in remote areas and so we just have to make do.

I hope there's a few of you out there that have made lathes from scratch no matter the size.

Cheers.

If you are able to check through old postings on Wood Turning General in the Forum to 30th and 31st March 2009 where I posted photo's of my home made lathe which was made up with the bed made up from 100 x 50 steel channel and with angle iron legs and the head stock made from the diff of a Morris 10 car. The mandril sat where the axle would have been. The tail stock was fabricated from 25mm thick steel plate.
( I am not sure if the system would allow me to bring back these postins for your viewing)
Regards Malcolm Eaton

RETIRED
5th May 2012, 02:53 PM
Here ya go Malcolm. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/home-made-wood-lathe-92761/

Malcolm Eaton
6th May 2012, 03:08 PM
Here ya go Malcolm. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/home-made-wood-lathe-92761/

Thanks for that.
I was not sure how one would go about bringing back postings dating back a couple of years.
Regards
Malcolm Eaton

hughie
6th May 2012, 06:01 PM
[ Is there a malfunction in the system or did Hughie never finish the lathe/story. Signed disappointed.

Moved house and ran out of shed for a few years. Now I am getting it all back again and will be finishing the lathe.

When this occurs it will be posted in all its glory :2tsup: