But on late Saturday nite I was let to run a muck on a nice stubby
750 with alot of aftermarket tweets and tricks
Need I say more:U

It was all systems go from 8am Saturday I got off the lathe around 930pm
And I got told it was 1130 12 befor everyone stopped

Sunday they started at 730am I got on a lathe after 830
Still going around 10 that nite I think

Monday was a 830 is strat finished at lunch

The weekend was grate the food was grate oh and the wood well you just had to be there

Will upload pics in a day or so

Mulgabill
3rd May 2012, 07:12 PM
It was good to catch-up with everyone again! The usual good natured banter, wholesome meals and camaraderie.
Tea Lady, , nz_carver, Jim Carroll and Irene Brooks, Shane (Wolfman) Wolf, issatree and mine hosts Brendan and Penny Stemp and their great team of assistants all made for a entertaining weekend.
We all look forward to You Turn 2013 (hopefully)! Sorry photos coming soon.

Jim Carroll
3rd May 2012, 07:35 PM
Another weekend comes and goes.
As the others have said a good weekend had by all, everyone got home but weary.

m.t
3rd May 2012, 08:18 PM
it was my first uturn had a great weekend and i can not wait for the next uturn :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

issatree
3rd May 2012, 08:54 PM
Hi to all,
Well if you didn't go, or could not get in ( only 80 ) you certainly missed a GREAT WEEKEND.
Thanks of course to Penny & Brendan Stemp, along with Gysella ? Pat, & all the Ladies that helped with the Food arrangements.
Also to Irene & Jim, with all their Goodies, & their given Goodies. Yes I Spent.
To Pauline & Neil Ellis, for their given Goodies, & yes I had a drag as well, but not like some who had 3 drags at 1 time.
To Bob & John ? the BBQ Cooks, Chris & Bill with all their skills at putting down the B/Plastic then the Huge Green Tarp that went over all of that, to keep the Shavings & Dust from the Carpet.
Last but not least to who virtually Oversaw almost Everything, including the Safety side of things, & the good bit, as there were no accidents all weekend.
A couple pieces, FELL OUT of The Lathes, but you can't help bad luck.
To the Newbies, I'm sure they all had there Eyes Opened, & had a great time, & will surely be back next year.

RETIRED
3rd May 2012, 09:50 PM
Yep. Plenty of turning, lies and bull. A good weekend with good company.:D

brendan stemp
4th May 2012, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately next year's YouTurn is in doubt...again. I have just been given word we cannot use the same venue next year. Very disappointing as it was a great venue. But the committee responsible for it don't like sharing their precious facility. I need to find an alternative. Hopefully something better. I enjoy everyones company so much I don't want to see it die.

Mulgabill
4th May 2012, 05:38 PM
:oo: Brendan, the venues committee's attitude is disappointing given that the number of visitors the event attracts to a regional centre like Horsham for 2-3 days and the benefits which us visitors and the event itself contribute to the business community by way of catering supplies, accommodation, RSL meals, petrol etc.
I guess you know all this, however, we wish you and your organising committee all the best in locating an alternative venue.

Keep us informed of your progress throughout the year.

tea lady
4th May 2012, 08:24 PM
:oo: Brendan, the venues committee's attitude is disappointing given that the number of visitors the event attracts to a regional centre like Horsham for 2-3 days and the benefits which us visitors and the event itself contribute to the business community by way of catering supplies, accommodation, RSL meals, petrol etc.
and don' they know how much we spent at Spotlight? :doh:

Hope a better alternative is found. I really enjoyed the weekend. Was great to be able to just turn, without having to wonder what was for dinner, or all the other myriad things of normal home life. :cool:' I got heaps done. Tried my hand at turning knitting needles. Made some more tear drop boxes. A few bowls and a platter or two. Amazing how much can be achieved in a weekend with no distractions.:U

Cliff Rogers
4th May 2012, 10:04 PM
Did anybody take a camera with a charged battery (or film) in it?

Acco
4th May 2012, 10:28 PM

:whs:

Come on guys, a week has gone by, where are the blooming pics?

mkypenturner
4th May 2012, 10:43 PM

:whs:

Come on guys, a week has gone by, where are the blooming pics?

since there is always a cetain quote mentioned with these type of events and nobody has put it up yet im gunna :D

no pics it didn't happen :D
surely somebody had a bloody camera or their smart phone and took a pic or 3 ??:?

A Duke
4th May 2012, 11:35 PM
Tea lady already told you they were too busy turning.

Mulgabill
5th May 2012, 12:06 AM
All right you lot! I just had to find time to re-size some of the images below.

Photo 1. Early morning starters in deep discussion.
Photo 2. A small example of the weekends work.
Photo 3. TeaLady concentrating with some of her tear drop lidded boxes in the foreground.

vk4
5th May 2012, 10:11 AM
Looks a good week-end , and the venue looked good, under the stands of a sporting arena???

I would like to come , but a bit far from QLD!!!

Like to see more Pic's , work looks awesome.

Jeff
vk4

tea lady
5th May 2012, 11:29 AM
Aaaaaah! I've got a double chin.:C

Cliff Rogers
5th May 2012, 11:37 AM
Aaaaaah! I've got a double chin.:C
And no....... face mask. :D

tea lady
5th May 2012, 11:49 AM
And no....... face mask. :DI was applying finish.:D:p

L R P
5th May 2012, 12:35 PM
Hi all
Sure was a great few days

Jim Carroll
5th May 2012, 01:23 PM
Hi all
Sure was a great few days
Maybe next year you will have a lathe with you.

Watching tackle an ugly peice of wood that turned into a nice platter.

Cliff Rogers
5th May 2012, 02:17 PM
It is a good looking 'shed' was a bit noisy in there or did that corro ceiling break it up?

Jim Carroll
5th May 2012, 02:37 PM
No it was reasonable for the amount of people in there.
You could still hear the clangers real easy.

Pat
5th May 2012, 02:40 PM
I was applying finish.:D:p

I didn't have a full face shield on either when my piece decide to go bang, now I have a "Beauty" spot on my nose:U

wheelinround
5th May 2012, 06:27 PM
Not a dust mask in sight :roll:

RETIRED
5th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Not a dust mask in sight :roll:
There were plenty of them. Have a good look at the pictures.

In the cleanup nearly everyone wore masks.

I don't wear one because I filter it with a cigarette.:D

dai sensei
5th May 2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like everyone had a ball. Shame about the venue Brendon.

Q-Turn is only 5 weeks away :2tsup: New variable speed motor on y little Woodfast, plus ball turning jig & threading jigs almost ready to go too.

RETIRED
5th May 2012, 07:58 PM
Hows the leg?

Acco
5th May 2012, 09:05 PM
What is being used here to hold the platter? Is it a faceplate or screw?

dai sensei
5th May 2012, 10:22 PM
Hows the leg?

RS :C Missed out on Melany and can only take the shed in short stints :-

RETIRED
5th May 2012, 11:10 PM
What is being used here to hold the platter? Is it a faceplate or screw?

207438Faceplate with screws.:D

Acco
5th May 2012, 11:14 PM
Faceplate with screws.:D

:2tsup: cheers

robert brown
5th May 2012, 11:34 PM
1 loaded up ready to go.
2 werribee corner.
3 early morning
4 discussing wolfmans tools
5 robert & fred.
6 jock & fred.
7 bill with his cup.
8 harry concentrating.
9 shane wolf .
10 jim doing some sales.
11 some of the work done..
12 brendan at work.
13 lewis harper demo..
14 werribee woodturners with ..

nz_carver
5th May 2012, 11:51 PM
12 brendan at work
Don't know if we call it work but he was helping me there
Just sanding it today will
Post pics soon

I didnt take a pic of the aftermath of when wolf ram a Muck withe me on that stubby of his ( oh how I miss that stubby)

I don't know if I got time to
Meet you there Robert

Cliff Rogers
6th May 2012, 12:04 AM
Waahoo, now we have some photos, thanks RB. :2tsup:

beiffe
19th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Hi is there an area where I can get a list of the get togethers as I am a nomad in a motor home but travel with my lathe and would like to meet other turners. I have been turning for over 10 years but never actually seen any one else turn except at Wood shows so would love to come to an event even just to watch and get some tips.

I turn in the bush or at friends houses. Just pepper grinders, bowls, happy hour dishes, egg cups and tyre knockers etc.

Regards
Brian

Jim Carroll
20th June 2012, 10:24 AM
Brian we have a list of the victorian ones on our web site..

Here (http://cws.au.com/page/news__upcoming_events.html)

dai sensei
20th June 2012, 11:35 AM
You just missed it, but Q-Turn is on the 3rd week in June at Somerset Dam near Brisbane. Contact the Ipswich Woodturners Club for details

SATurn is one in SA, not sure of dates. Also Proserpine in far north Qld in November I think. Should be able to look them up.

beiffe
20th June 2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys. Missed the one in Victoria a couple of years ago as I found out when I was sitting in Portland but partner would not let me go. Silly gorl as I took her back to QLD and then went out for the day and she is still waiting :B.

I travel slow and I plan my travels around my volunteering and event I want to vivist so will try and plan for the next Uturn.

I have my own Woodfast mini lathe but would be happy to watch and talk to fellow turners as I have had little contact with others so perhaps I amj doing it all wrong :doh::o

Will try and keep a watch as I have not visited for quite a while.

Regards
Brian

Tony Morton
20th June 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Brian
If you are heading Wauchope way give me a call and we can have a chat and compare notes.
Cheers Tony

P.s. this applies to any one passing through always keen to have a wood yarn if you know what I mean.

TTIT
20th June 2012, 03:23 PM
Same applies here Brian if you're passing through Emerald, QLD on your travels :2tsup: - just drop me a PM here or use the Feedback on my website.

beiffe
20th June 2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks Guys heading west to SA and then up to mates place above Wilpena Pound for a few months and then back to Victoria.

Will keep you offer in mind though as I often wonder if I am doing thinks correct but then no one has refused my RECYCLED FIREWOOD so I must be doing something right:2tsup:

Regards
Brian

Sturdee
20th June 2012, 10:58 PM
Brian,

Here is a link to a list of woodworking clubs (http://www.vwa.org.au/index.php/resources/clubs/) that may be of help. Most clubs would welcome you to their meetings if you are in their area.

Peter.

NeilS
21st June 2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks Guys heading west to SA and then up to mates place above Wilpena Pound for a few months and then back to Victoria.

Next SAturn is on

13-15 July 2012, El Shaddai, Wellington, SA

Contact: Cate or Jeff Wrigley on (08) 8557 7417 email [email protected]

You might even meet a few Mexicans there (you know the ones that live south of the border, I think they call it Victoria) as well as some Crow Eaters.