PDA

View Full Version : A very close shave

Malcolm Eaton
9th May 2012, 10:07 AM
It was a windy miserable day in Perth last Monday and I decided to turn up a couple of chisel handles. To keep myself cosy:rolleyes: against the draft in my workshop I put on a old fleece line jumper ( what we use to call Sloppy Jo's), the sleeves where a bit baggy particular at the elbows.
As I was finishing of one of the turnings I happened to reach over and across the item while the lathe was running to pick up a piece of sand paper, next thingI was aware :oo:my arm was dragged down suddenly between the turned item, the tool rest and the lathe bed. This also bought my head down and my face close to the revolving piece of timber:o.
My reaction was to pull back and luckly because the drive belt happened to be loose allowing it to slip this stopped the item from turning. At the same time my quick reaction allowed me to reach for to the Triton gate safety switch that was fitted to turn of the power:D.
Lucky for me the result of my efforts was a jumper now with a very very baggy sleeve and body wise no scratches or bruises and nearly a extra close shaved face.
The lesson is never ware loose clothing particular baggy sleeves when turning or using any machinery.
Regards
Malcolm Eaton

vk4
9th May 2012, 10:19 AM
We all get complacent with the machinery we use, and I would BET you are not the ONLY ONE who has had this happen!!!!

Glad that you were not injured, or hurt . It always happens when you least expect it, and when doing the simplest things..

stay safe all

Jeff

BobL
9th May 2012, 11:00 AM
I'd say that was very lucky.

Loose clothing around machines is always problematic. Being overweight I tend to run hot so I usually don't feel the cold and go without. This has it's negatives when needing to wear protective clothing such as when using an angle grinder or welding.

Allan at Wallan
9th May 2012, 02:21 PM
You should have asked us first if it was
safe to wear your sloppy Joe when using
the lathe.

Guess what we would have told you:no:

Glad you are still intact and have two hands
to type your story.

Allan

Pagie
9th May 2012, 04:50 PM
A lot of people wear long sleves to protect from chips of wood. I think the main problem is reaching over the bed to the wall hung tools. Space usually means that is the best place to put things. Tight clothes is safer than baggy. Glad you were not hurt.

rsser
9th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Glad you weren't hurt Malcolm.

An accessible stop switch is worth its weight in gold. And programmed braking if you have EVS.

I've been caught a few times with bowl turning, creeping down the tool rest towards the base centre to find the end of it has gone into the cuff of the flannel shirt.

Pat
9th May 2012, 05:17 PM
You got lucky Mal!

May a Turning Smock be in order?

Christos
9th May 2012, 05:41 PM
Well noted and good to hear that you were not injured.

rodent
9th May 2012, 11:45 PM
more rubber bands to keep the sleeves in Mal . At least it wasn't the saw bench grabbing you .

dr4g0nfly
10th May 2012, 06:17 AM
We all get complacent with the machinery we use, and I would BET you are not the ONLY ONE who has had this happen!!!

Nope, mine was a jumper in a 4 prong drive - quickly learnt my lesson.

Pat is right, a turning smock - with Velcro cuffs is the order of the day.

keltrader
10th May 2012, 08:31 AM
Well done for owning up. Timely reminder for all.

powderpost
10th May 2012, 11:05 AM
I think the main problem is reaching over the bed to the wall hung tools. Space usually means that is the best place to put things.
I have the lathe about 600mm out from the wall, so that my back is to the wall when turning. I then just turn around to access the gear on the wall. Saves reaching over the lathe.
Glad you were not hurt.
Jim