PDA

View Full Version : Another camphor bowl

wood hacker
11th May 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi All

Have been on annual leave this week however SWMBO has been cracking the whip on the rennos. I did manage to squeeze in a little shed time today and managed to finish off a few projects that have been sitting partially completed. One was a bowl in camphor laurel. As mentioned in a previous post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/camphor-bowl-151367/) this stuff had the most powerful camphor smell of any I've turned to date. I've deliberately left this one chunkier than I normally would as I wanted something with a bit of weight to it.. The side on photo is a little deceptive as the background and grain lines create an optical illusion and give the bowl an odd looking shape. In person it has a relatively nice curve to it.

The bowl is approx 270 x 110mm and finished in Organoil High Speed Burnishing Oil. First time I've used this product and I'm quite happy with the result.

Cheers
WH

vk4
11th May 2012, 11:43 PM
very nice, a chunky bowl makes a nice change.

I have found that Camphor, with that strong red colour tends to be strong ( scent).

Skewturn
12th May 2012, 12:23 AM
:2tsup:Very nice I like chunky bowls too:2tsup:

Christos
12th May 2012, 03:53 AM
This looks good, what are you using this for?

Allan at Wallan
12th May 2012, 09:07 AM
Great result - well done.:2tsup:

Allan

wood hacker
12th May 2012, 09:18 AM
This looks good, what are you using this for?

It's going to be a gift for my brother in law and his wife. It's intended use is as a fruit bowl.

artme
12th May 2012, 09:47 AM
I like it too!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nice timber, great shape and a solid, practical unit all up.:)

bench1holio
12th May 2012, 11:08 AM
that is a nice lump of camphor WH, i really like that big red streak :2tsup: well done

dabbler
12th May 2012, 11:20 AM
Very nice all round. Well suited as a fruit bowl.

I really like the rounded chunkiness of the bowl edge.

Ad de Crom
12th May 2012, 05:26 PM
Lovely wood for a fruit bowl.
Ad :2tsup:

bassmansimon
12th May 2012, 10:59 PM
I've heard that camphor is not food-safe. Have I been told wrong?
Ps the bowl looks fantastic.

smiife
12th May 2012, 11:15 PM
hi WH
not normally a fan of chunky bowls,but this one is great
i like the grain patterns and the overall shape has come out
very well,as far as a fruit bowl it would not have to be food safe
would it?as long as there was some kind of finish.
great work ,well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

_fly_
12th May 2012, 11:21 PM
I don't mind the chucky.
I also did a CL that looks very similar.
It gets called Poppa Bears porridge bowl.

dabbler
13th May 2012, 12:36 AM
I've heard that camphor is not food-safe. Have I been told wrong?
Ps the bowl looks fantastic.

A small percentage of people are allergic to CL and I imagine that would be pretty apparent to a turner when sanding, so you'll find out soon enough if you are "one of the few", bassmansimon. I think it's great stuff.

As for food safe, CL cutting boards are popping up everywhere. My local butcher even sells them. They're the most expensive thing in the shop too!

Nature's Cutting Boards - Australian Timber Cutting Boards & Cheese Boards (http://www.naturescuttingboards.com.au/)

bassmansimon
13th May 2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks dabbler

John T
13th May 2012, 11:37 AM
HI WH,
I also like chunky bowls nice work love the grain pattern,:2tsup: would love to get some that size. here in tas. john.