PDA

View Full Version : I need a bit of queen ebony

tea lady
15th May 2012, 02:24 PM
I need a bit of queen ebony or other dark nearly black wood to complete a project. Approximately 75 mm diameter and 10 MM think. Anyone got a bit in their stash? :cute: :U

Tim the Timber Turner
15th May 2012, 04:13 PM
Ebony for a Queen??

How about a bit of myall which I can help with?

Cheers

Tim

tea lady
15th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Ebony for a Queen??

How about a bit of myall which I can help with?

Cheers

Tim:doh: Well I've got a chunk of that which I won in a raffle at SATurn haven't I! Thanks for reminding me. :cool: Might cut into that. (! The bandsaw is blunt. :C.............. now.:D) Any tips for working it? Apart form sharpen the tools alot. :rolleyes::D

Scott
15th May 2012, 06:22 PM
I've only got a QE pen blank, would that help?

dai sensei
15th May 2012, 08:32 PM
Are you in a hurry?

We could look at the show to see if we can pick some up for you.

Tim the Timber Turner
15th May 2012, 08:38 PM
:Any tips for working it? Apart form sharpen the tools alot. :rolleyes::D

Scrape it with one of 's skews. (wait untill he's not watching, or better still make him a real strong cuppa and wait untill he nods off).

I'm serious, it scrapes really well with a sharp skew.

If you get it right the shavings will float away on the wind.

Report back with pictures please.

Cheers

Tim:)

powderpost
15th May 2012, 09:57 PM
I will have a look in the morning. I have some, but it is not black black and I might struggle to get 75mm diameter. If I have it and you are not in a hurry I will bring it down next month.
Jim

springwater
15th May 2012, 10:08 PM
Yep, prolly could drop it around to Robbos, when do you need it by?

springwater
15th May 2012, 10:46 PM
Opps sorry tl, just went and measured it and it's 70mm maybe 71mm width :C

yachtie
16th May 2012, 08:47 AM
TL
I can help you with the ebony If you pm your address it will be in the post to morrow. John

tea lady
16th May 2012, 10:18 AM
Scrape it with one of 's skews. (wait untill he's not watching, or better still make him a real strong cuppa and wait untill he nods off).

I'm serious, it scrapes really well with a sharp skew.

If you get it right the shavings will float away on the wind.

Report back with pictures please.

Cheers

Tim:)Ya call it a "negative rake scraper" when used like that.:D

Opps sorry tl, just went and measured it and it's 70mm maybe 71mm width :CThanks anyway:cool:

TL
I can help you with the ebony If you pm your address it will be in the post to morrow. JohnThanks. Will try the Myall first. :cool:

Possible get some from the Brisbane WW Show too I guess. Seeing i up there then.:cool:

Tim the Timber Turner
16th May 2012, 11:35 AM
Ya call it a "negative rake scraper" when used like that.:D

Naa:no: that's just a flash name used by the tool freaks.
It's real name is a Pointy Nose Scraper.:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
16th May 2012, 12:23 PM
Smells nice doesn't it? :U Sort of like rose wood. :think: Reckon I had a bit of that already. But this is a tad darker.:cool: Which is OK cos queen ebony isn't exactly black either. Although I haven't got finish on it yet. What I am making is a secret. :p

Tim the Timber Turner
16th May 2012, 02:05 PM
Smells nice doesn't it? :U Sort of like rose wood. :think:

Just be careful sniffing the dust.

It has been reported as a powerful Aphrodisiac, highly valued and traded by ancient nomadic tribes. (BS of course).:D

Cheers

Tim::)

Mulgabill
16th May 2012, 02:37 PM
....What I am making is a secret. :p

Sounds like an entry for the Aust Woodturning Comp.:;

tea lady
16th May 2012, 02:42 PM
Just be careful sniffing the dust.

It has been reported as a powerful Aphrodisiac, highly valued and traded by ancient nomadic tribes. (BS of course).:D

Cheers

Tim::)Lucky isn't here then.:p

Sounds like an entry for the Aust Woodturning Comp.:;:sssh:

Mulgabill
16th May 2012, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mulgabill http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/i-need-bit-queen-ebony-152607-post1489377/#post1489377)
Sounds like an entry for the Aust Woodturning Comp.:;
:sssh:

:sorry:

doug3030
16th May 2012, 03:27 PM
theres a way of darkening queen ebony, I think it was to soak a piece of steel wool in vinegar for a while then rub it on the timber.

Doug

tea lady
16th May 2012, 04:34 PM
theres a way of darkening queen ebony, I think it was to soak a piece of steel wool in vinegar for a while then rub it on the timber.

DougDon't mind that its not black black. :cool:

brendan stemp
16th May 2012, 05:07 PM
In the past I've glued two pieces together to get the width I needed . I was using ebony and you could'nt see the glue join. I can help with this if you still need some. Email me at [email protected] if you want to reply. I get those messages through my phone. Still no internet at home.

scott4836
16th May 2012, 07:42 PM

Doug

The information is very interesting. Vinegar is an interesting feature in itself already. If you use it properly.

doug3030
17th May 2012, 10:27 AM
I will check my ebony stash over the weekend and see if i have what you need :2tsup:

tea lady
17th May 2012, 01:13 PM
is having a look for me at Brisbane WWS.:cool: (The Myall seems to have too many cracks and not quite the right colour.:doh:

doug3030
17th May 2012, 10:32 PM
Tea Lady check your pm's, I have a number of pieces that may well suit

:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

BTW how did you go with the sassafrass i swapped with you?

tea lady
18th May 2012, 07:01 PM
Tea Lady check your pm's, I have a number of pieces that may well suit

:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

BTW how did you go with the sassafrass i swapped with you?
:cool:Sassy went really well. :2tsup: has got me some Queen ebony from Brisbane WWS so stop pannicking everyone.. :cool: :D

leadie53
23rd August 2012, 10:01 AM
Ever since I purchased some queen Ebony at the recent Sydney Wood Show I have not been able to contact the suppliers. I rang Sitco in Queensland and sent them an email too but no luck. Has anyone any idea where I can get some...I live in Newcastle NSW.:U

Rocky5
25th August 2012, 08:06 PM
hi
DId u find some queen ebony ?

I have some.. can send for free.

Randal