PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser noise levels

johnmc
24th February 2005, 12:28 PM
I use my dad's thicknesser when required (can't remember the brand). It is one loud mother, especially when thicknessing hardwoods like kwila.

I wanted to know what everyones experiences were regarding noise levels of their thicknessers. Is there an appreciable difference between various brands and models ?

craigb
24th February 2005, 12:38 PM
Well I can only speak for my own (DeWalt). It's a howler. I wouldn't use it without muffs.

TEFC ones would be quieter I'd guess.

johnmc
24th February 2005, 12:53 PM
What's TEFC mean ?

I too wouldn't use my dad's without ear protection, yet he will happily feed wood thorugh for an hour with no protection. He's from the old school of no PPE.

bitingmidge
24th February 2005, 12:54 PM
Terrifically Efficient F'nquiet Cutters

P :D

Mono
24th February 2005, 12:57 PM
I have a Hare & Forbes thicknesser it also is a SCREAMER.
When I was first using it I took off my ear muffs to hear the difference my ear muffs made.It was a good test to hear if your ear protection is any good???

craigb
24th February 2005, 01:04 PM
Terrifically Efficient F'nquiet Cutters

P :D
:D

And also Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. IE an induction motor not a brush motor

Groggy
24th February 2005, 01:53 PM
I use my dad's thicknesser when required (can't remember the brand). It is one loud mother, especially when thicknessing hardwoods like kwila.

I wanted to know what everyones experiences were regarding noise levels of their thicknessers. Is there an appreciable difference between various brands and models ?The quietest thicknessers are made by Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley, Satanley, Sargeant etc

TEFC are the next best, the rest are screamers. I have a DeWalt that would make a brothel madam blush. Makita is marginally quieter, but they all make a racket when the timber hits the blades.

simon c
24th February 2005, 02:00 PM
but they all make a racket when the timber hits the blades
I think taht is the main point, groggy. It seems unnecessary to have a quiet motor when most(?) of the noise is in the blades

Termite
24th February 2005, 02:20 PM
but they all make a racket when the timber hits the blades.
And the blunter they get the louder they get, :D :D

johnmc
24th February 2005, 03:01 PM
I guess if the majority of the noise is produced during cutting, then part of the answer is to run the thicknesser in a workshop as soundproofed as possible.

Termite
24th February 2005, 03:07 PM
I guess if the majority of the noise is produced during cutting, then part of the answer is to run the thicknesser in a workshop as soundproofed as possible.
What, and keep all that lovely noise to yourself? Don't be a miser, share it with the whole neighbourhood. :D

Gumby
24th February 2005, 03:15 PM
My ML392 isn't anywhere near as noisy as the table saw. I wear ear protection most of the time but have never given it a thought using the combo, whether planing or thicknessing. Maybe I'm already going deef !!! :eek:

craigb
24th February 2005, 03:20 PM
What TS do you run Gumby?

I definitely don't need muffs with mine. I don't need them for the buzzer either but they are a must with the thicknesser, router and SCMS.

Iain
24th February 2005, 03:21 PM
Mine is quiet, just like a 747 on takeoff, the noisy ones are bad :eek:

Gumby
24th February 2005, 03:27 PM
What TS do you run Gumby?

I definitely don't need muffs with mine. I don't need them for the buzzer either but they are a must with the thicknesser, router and SCMS.

A Triton of course, you mean there are others ??? :confused: :D :D

Slavo
24th February 2005, 03:44 PM
popular wookworking in a recent review testing 13" thicknessers measured all of them at between 89 (delta) & 94 (Dewalt 735) decibels

beejay1
24th February 2005, 06:37 PM
I think theyre all noisey and ear muffs should always be worn. A bit quieter with really sharp blades and shallower cuts but not much.

beejayi

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

ozwinner
24th February 2005, 06:51 PM
Or dont turn it on, if you do, dont stick timber into it!!
Mine screams like a banshee, I dont realy know what noise they make, but Ive been told it sounds a lot like a thicknesser with blunt blades.

Al :D

Wayne Davy
25th February 2005, 09:44 PM
You guys mean to tell me these things have blades?!?!? No wonder mine takes a lot of passes to take of a couple of mil. :D

Seriously, I think they are all BL^%DY noisy and you should always were your muffs when in use. Mines a Carbatec PT260 which has the Induction motor - not much noise at on startup (just a bit of a buzz from the blades cutting air I think) but, feed in the timber and MAN does it wake up the suburb.

My TS on the other hand is nice and quite even when cutting - Induction Motor and nearly new CMT 12" Blade.

Woodlice
26th February 2005, 12:15 AM
What did I win typo kign? :D

My thicknesser is a wonderful peice of machinery, though I havent learned its make or model. Courtesy of a late family member. I think that it may have been put onto a sturdier frame. Is there some standard place for model number plates or stamps? Between the base and the stand right? Otherwise mine has been taken off. Im pretty sure that it was a refurbished unit when it was purchased, about 15 years ago.

I love my neighbours so much that on a Sunday morning I like to get them all out of bed at S.F. with a chorus from the unit playing jarrah or something equally damaging to its blades.

J!

mike44
28th February 2005, 04:16 AM
Your dad's planer is probably a benchtop with a universal motor. All of these brands are loud. larger planers with an induction motor are much less noisy, wear ear protection in any case.
mike