PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill (challenge)

gawdelpus
16th May 2012, 06:18 PM
I wanted to test a new type of crush mill so gave myself a challenge , I took a giant WA banksia pod ,roughed it out and cast in black poly. My first idea was to cast the top plug in black also ,should of stuck with that idea ,the finished product is CA finish same as I do my pens ,again was a bit tricky on this shape :), over all a pleasing effort ,although I may still do another top plug for it :) This type of mill has no shaft so dimensions can be whatever like for length, the mechanism is fitted into the bottom of the mill with its adjustment knob, the pictures tell the story :) cheers ~ John

artme
16th May 2012, 07:21 PM
John old mate - that is a ripper!! Resetting the bar again!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
16th May 2012, 08:48 PM
Yep, turned out really well :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
17th May 2012, 08:34 AM
I think you've got a winner there.

bench1holio
17th May 2012, 09:26 AM
wow!! john that is really cool :2tsup: any chance you might have a couple of extra blanks you want to get rid of any time soon?:cool:

gawdelpus
17th May 2012, 10:10 AM
wow!! john that is really cool :2tsup: any chance you might have a couple of extra blanks you want to get rid of any time soon?:cool:

Hehe, this one is mine lol, but maybe if you contact Neil (dai sensei) he could perhaps cast you something ,I am pretty sure I got the giant banksia from him ,and maybe he has more ,this was on my limits at about 65mm dia, and even then was 2 seperate casts to fit in the pressure pot :) If you do go that way think about the Mechanism you want to use as well ,this one uses a single piece crush grind mechanism ,which are the best kind with a long guarantee (25 yrs) cheers ~ John

dai sensei
17th May 2012, 09:47 PM
.... any chance you might have a couple of extra blanks you want to get rid of any time soon?:cool:

Yeh I have more, but none to get rid of as such. If you are interested, let me know size and colour and I will see what I have then give you a price.

Be warned though, these take a lot of effort and by no means easy. The banksia are quite hard and the resin makes it even harder to turn without tearing/chipping. I find very sharp skew or the 60 grit chisel works best.